Relaxed Heads who relax bone straight: How do you style your freshly relaxed hair?

sunnieb

Particularly the first 2-3 weeks post.

I am so used to dealing with lots of dense newgrowth that making the transition to bone straight is like.......whoah! :drunk:

Exhibit A: My hair today at 2 days post.

First pic - I think I over-moisturized my ends last night. I put in 2 bantu knots and hoped for the best. Turned out ok, but the ends were still floppy.

Second pic - Tried fluffing out my hair a bit and got a little more...umph. Not as much curl as I wanted, but cute enough for work.

Third pic - Wind hit it in the parking lot and that was all she wrote! Flat as a pancake. :spinning:

I don't want to just wear it loose and floppy. I want a style. :ohwell:

Help. Me. :help:

Attachments

• 20141028_084239.jpg
    20141028_084239.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Oct2814.jpg
    Oct2814.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Oct28A14.jpg
    Oct28A14.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 170

toaster

Have you tried roller setting your hair after relaxing? Then you can separate the curls to have more volume?

Or what about texture spray/dry shampoo. I know a lot of people with naturally straight hair use those types of products to get their hair more... piecey and to enhance styling.

The other option may be a hair styling cut. Hair is going to lay a certain way due to its styling cut and no amount of product will change that I don't think.

Hope some of that helps! I'm not relaxed but your hair is beautiful!

sunnieb

Re: Relaxed Heads who relax bone straight: How do you style your freshly relaxed hair

toaster Thanks! What texture sprays have you seen? That sounds promising.

I actually had all my rollersetting tools laid out, but didn't feel like doing it after I relaxed. Rollersetting just takes so much time! :(

toaster

toaster Thanks! What texture sprays have you seen? That sounds promising. I actually had all my rollersetting tools laid out, but didn't feel like doing it after I relaxed. Rollersetting just takes so much time! :(

I've seen reviews of Oribe texture spray and some by bumble and bumble. I would check your grocery store or drugstore and check them out! I usually glaze over those particular products because I'm not sure how they would work for me, but I do think they would be perfect to try in the first few weeks after relaxing or to prolong a straightening session.

Beamodel

sunnieb

I wear my hair in two Bantu wraps at night. I take them down in the morning and my curls last all day long.

It might just be the weather in your area that's affecting your style or like you said it could be that you applied too much product to your hair.

Every night lately I've been applying HH pink Lemon berry mimosa sealed with APB Ayurvedic oil on my length and SSI seyani butter on my ends.

overtherainbow

Re: Relaxed Heads who relax bone straight: How do you style your freshly relaxed hair

Disclaimer, I am now natural lol, but I was a bone straight relaxer for most of my life. I used to sleep in four big Bantu knots and would get nice loose curls. Big twists on damp hair added a nice amount of texture too.

PlainJane

I love these for a fresh relaxer. Super comfy to sleep in and the style changes depending on how many you use and how tight you wrap them.

Attachments

• image-4278651916.jpg
    image-4278651916.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 128

sunnieb

I love these for a fresh relaxer. Super comfy to sleep in and the style changes depending on how many you use and how tight you wrap them.

I used to have a set of these! :) Might go buy another set. Wish they had silk/satin covers though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL

I used to have a set of these! :) Might go buy another set. Wish they had silk/satin covers though.

I used to use these rollers, but they may be too small/short for your length of hair:

This woman did a sort of twist-n-curl with the first rollers posted:

Here's her blog to see more photos: Dark Skin Long Hair

sunnieb

Today's hair at 3 days post.

Cowashed with WEN Fall Tuscan Pear and airdried for 2 hours: (looks like my cowash pic attached at the bottom of the post)

Put just a hint of Carrot Oil on the ends and rolled into 4 tight bantu knots:

ForumRunner_20141029_153535.jpg

Let knots set for 2 1/2 hours and got this result:

ForumRunner_20141029_153548.jpg

2014-10-29 14.57.29.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-10-29 15.01.01.jpg
    2014-10-29 15.01.01.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 83

Angelbean

I am natural now but when I was relaxed bone straight I would sleep in two big Bantu knots for a nice loose wave or two braided pig tales for loose waves or soft satin covered rollers for curls! Relaxed hair truly is versatile!!

PlainJane

Today's hair at 3 days post. Cowashed with WEN Fall Tuscan Pear and airdried for 2 hours: (looks like my cowash pic attached at the bottom of the post) Put just a hint of Carrot Oil on the ends and rolled into 4 tight bantu knots: Let knots set for 2 1/2 hours and got this result: Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF
I really like that! And it only took two hours? Was your hair dry or wet when you added the knots?

Rozlewis

Today's hair at 3 days post.

Cowashed with WEN Fall Tuscan Pear and airdried for 2 hours: (looks like my cowash pic attached at the bottom of the post)
Put just a hint of Carrot Oil on the ends and rolled into 4 tight bantu knots:

sunnieb

It looks good. How did you like the Fall Tuscan Pear?

sunnieb

I really like that! And it only took two hours? Was your hair dry or wet when you added the knots?

PlainJane my hair was 90% dry when I put in the bantu knots. I also comb through the length every 15 minutes or so. Additionally, I sat under a ceiling fan to speed up the process though. ;)

sunnieb

Almost a week post now.

Slept in two bantu knots and no moisturizer. It's cooler here today so I love the look of my hair cascading over my jacket.

ForumRunner_20141101_125214.jpg

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

sunnieb Hey there * exaggerated wink* How did you make the transition to bone-straight hair? Got any tips? I'm texlaxed by the way, from being natural for 4 years. I'm just considering all my options lol.

sunnieb

whosthatcurl - Heeeey!

I've always relaxed bone straight, so didn't really transition.

However, it was only after learning to care for my bone straight hair from LHCF did it finally start getting longer.

Babygrowth

I've seen a lot of girls using those satin pillow rollers and its amazing. One girl on this forum made a video about it and her hair was amazing sunnieb please post a pic when you do it. I know your hair is going to be :lick:

CICI24

I use steam rollers or hot rollers on air dried hair.

sunnieb

One week and one day post.

Clarified, shampood, and dc'd with Nexxus Humectress. Airdried for about 30 minutes then put in two twists.

Love the result! I simply fluffed and clipped with a flexi 8. Easy!

sunnieb

Ugh! Pic didn't post! Will probably come in sideways if I can get it to post.

ForumRunner_20141103_094804.jpg

crlsweetie912

toaster Thanks! What texture sprays have you seen? That sounds promising.

I actually had all my rollersetting tools laid out, but didn't feel like doing it after I relaxed. Rollersetting just takes so much time! :(

You could put a few flexirods in it nightly after you moisturize.

sunnieb

Am I the only one still relaxing bone straight??? :lol:

Rnjones

I try to but I never can. Lately it's like my hair laughs at relaxers

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Evolving78

Am I the only one still relaxing bone straight??? :lol:
trying to stretch with bone straight ends was not the business for me. Also, I have fine hair, so I decided to go back to leaving some texture in my hair to give me more strength.
And yes you can sleep in flexi rods.

sunnieb

trying to stretch with bone straight ends was not the business for me. Also, I have fine hair, so I decided to go back to leaving some texture in my hair to give me more strength.
And yes you can sleep in flexi rods.

I don't know what my natural texture is (thick, coarse, cement???) It's like my previously relaxed hair gets in line with my newgrowth and doesn't act like it's stick straight.