Relaxed Ladies...how do you increase/maintain growth?

Opulence

I am contemplating going back to relaxed (mild relaxer and only once or twice a year). I went natural to get my hair thick again. I have achieved that and am thinking of going back to relaxed.

I know there is so much debate about better growth natual vs relaxed. But many of you are relaxed and experiencing good growth and healthy hair. What do you attribute that to? What suggestions do you have for me if I go back to relaxed to retain/increase my growth?

taz007

I attribute my growth/retention to the heavy use of ceramides and low manipulation/low heat styling.

If you do relax your hair, you may want to join the "Ceramides Challenge".

Calia001

moisture helps retain growth and i gotta say, that jheri curl juice thing is working wonders for me. but not everyone is built the same

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 made my hair feel dirty and clumpy
Wave Nouveau didnt stay on my hair, i felt like it evaporated too quickly
but Soft Sheen Carson's Care Free Curl GOLD Instant Activator does well for me on a fresh relaxer as well as 6 month old new growth

LaFemmeNaturelle

Once I stayed away from heat and made sure my hair never got dry (moisturize whenever it feels dry), I was able to retain all of my growth. Also, keeping up with when my hair needs protein and when it doesn't.

Sondice

For me protective styling/low manipulation, keeping my hair mositurized, and laying off the heat has helped tremendously

prospurr4

I attribute my growth to:
- keeping my ends moisturized
- low-manipulation hair styles
- texlaxing (underprocessing to leave some curl pattern=stronger hair)

ETA: I forgot the main one: Getting rid of direct heat

Last edited:

loveisnthehouse

I'm very much still building my "perfect regimen", but DCing has ALWAYS been a retaining tool for and for growth I take biotin, organic HS&N vits as well as Super B Complex supplements and I am using OCT as well.

TLC1020

Same here...

Protective style everyday, shampoo and deep condition on Sunday.. Moisturized when needed, did touchup 10-12 weeks.... Had absolutely no problem with retention..

For me protective styling/low manipulation, keeping my hair mositurized, and laying off the heat has helped tremendously

brucebettye

Since I don't use direct heat that much I can say that has allowed me to retain my hair growth. Also being texlaxed and stretching my relaxers to once or twice a year has help to keep my hair thick and retain length.

frizzy

The #1 thing that turned my hair around was moisture. I started out DCing 2x per week, then I started using ceramide products and a protein product every now and then.

Oil rinsing is great, but I prefer adding the oil to my DC and steaming in one step.

Shaley

I attribute my growth to:
- keeping my ends moisturized
- low-manipulation hair styles
- texlaxing (underprocessing to leave some curl pattern=stronger hair)

ETA: I forgot the main one: Getting rid of direct heat

all the above, same here for me:yep:

especially keeping my ends moisturized and getting rid of direct heat

Toy

What has helped me is keeping my hair moisturized,Very little to no heat keeping those ends protected & condition washes & deep conditioning and bunning has helped me.

LaidBak

I have used internal growth aids (chlorella, MSM, silica) to increase growth. I've had a lot of success with that. Scalp massage is another tool that has worked well for me.

Its retention that I have a problem with. What worked for me for a long time was trimming my ends down to a healthy point and then sealing them every night. I got lazy and lost some inches.

Zawaj

For retention: No heat, moisture (Oyin Juices and Berries, LacioLacio or water) and sealing (coconut oil, JBCO, QB AOHC) and protective styling (buns or cornrows).

lana

Texlaxing (underprocessing on purpose) instead of relaxing helped me to retain length and stop the breakage (from straightening my natural hair).

I also feel that stretching the Texlax helps me hold on and retain length.
Regular trims when needed.

I use heat weekly and I'm still trying to work around that. My hair isn't straight enough to go without either the blow dryer or the flat iron. It's VERY thick, so if I only flat iron it (airdry) it ends up big and poofy by the third day. Not cute. To combat this, I use heat protectants and great conditioners.

To moisturize I need lotion type products followed by an oil. So I use an all natural Moisturizer that I found from Marshall's and Vitamin E/Jojoba. So far, I have thick healthy hair and I went from ear length to below APL/almost BSL in my time with LHCF. Whatever I'm doing is working for me.

Oh and I swear by Mane & Tail Conditioner for $3.99. It works!

Opulence

Texlaxing (underprocessing on purpose) instead of relaxing helped me to retain length and stop the breakage (from straightening my natural hair).

I also feel that stretching the Texlax helps me hold on and retain length.
Regular trims when needed.

I use heat weekly and I'm still trying to work around that. My hair isn't straight enough to go without either the blow dryer or the flat iron. It's VERY thick, so if I only flat iron it (airdry) it ends up big and poofy by the third day. Not cute. To combat this, I use heat protectants and great conditioners.

To moisturize I need lotion type products followed by an oil. So I use an all natural Moisturizer that I found from Marshall's and Vitamin E/Jojoba. So far, I have thick healthy hair and I went from ear length to below APL/almost BSL in my time with LHCF. Whatever I'm doing is working for me.

Oh and I swear by Mane & Tail Conditioner for $3.99. It works!

wow, thanks for sharing ladies, this is really helping me put together a healthy regimen when i get ready to relax. keep it coming please....I'm sure others appreciate it as well.

JJamiah

I mush say that my weekly Deep Conditioning is very important part of my regimen since I blow dry weekly. :)

I don't experience any breakage and I cough (cough cough) this up to the Deep conditioning Moisture and Protein. :)

I always use a leave in and Protein mist be it aphogee or CHI.

I have started a new hair schedule (same products :) ) which gives me a rest from my hair, but I will let you know about the results at the end of the year :)

Luscious Locks

being relaxed is the not hard at all--certainly not the nightmare that some make it out to be. if you relax i suggest you keep a close eye on what your hair is telling you. moisture is the most important thing, but once you relax your hair you'll need to use more protein conditioner. i wash and condition my hair every 4 days. for every two times that i use a protein conditioner, on the third wash I'll use a moisturizing conditioner. My hair loves humectant proteins. and that is mostly what i use. I save the heavy duty keratin protein treatment for every 6 weeks.

the most important thing i've learned to help keep breakage to a minimum and optimize hair health is the stretch my relaxers atleast 10-12 weeks and to not use direct heat. Direct heat and overlapping relaxer is the beginning of the end for healthy relaxed hair.

Fyi: humectant proteins strengthen and moisturize the hair at the same time. look for silk protein, wheat protein, soy protein, jojoba protein (basically any plant protein, nothing human or animal) to provide smoothness, moisture, and shine.