Relaxed Ladies...I wanna know...

KhandiB

Nope it doesnt hurt my feelings cuz IMPO it just shows that THEY have been bamboozled and have some type of elitism complex, that just because youre Natural youre more Real..

I mean lets keep it real, it takes more than a hairstyle , you know what I mean, I mean no matter what you do, the heaviest organ on your body .. Your SKIN... color will not change, it dont matter, how straight you get your hair, how many times you get your nose done... you are still a black woman, you will still get the same flak most of us get in regards to people just expecting us to roll our heads and snap our fingers at you... :( and to make the assesment that someone who relaxes their hair is "trying" to be white is assinine and shows lack of common sense...

:sekret: Michael Jackson is not included in my generalizing because he turned his skin white :lol:

Queenie

KhandiB said:
I mean lets keep it real, it takes more than a hairstyle , you know what I mean, I mean no matter what you do, the heaviest organ on your body .. Your SKIN... color will not change, it dont matter, how straight you get your hair, how many times you get your nose done... you are still a black woman, you will still get the same flak most of us get in regards to people just expecting us to roll our heads and snap our fingers at you... :( and to make the assesment that someone who relaxes their hair is "trying" to be white is assinine and shows lack of common sense...

Exactly, no one as ever confused me for being white. :lol:

getmoore

Well I'm natural and I experienced the oppisite of course. Folks always have something to say about why I DON'T have a relaxer. I have two family members who actually think that natural hair is UGLY and no matter what Black folks NEED relaxers period! It's something that NEEDS TO BE FIXED!:confused: When I was relaxed I never got flack for having a relaxer because most black women where I lived had them.I think it's crazy that folks have sooo much to say about other folk's hair. It's just NUTS when folks actually think that relaxers are what you're SUPPOSED to have as a black woman. I think I would have been equally annoyed if I had to listen to a bunch of crap about why I chose to relax way back when. Life is too short for such foolishness. Will we ever get past this mess? :ohwell:

myco

I agree with everyone else. It's an oversimplification of someone else's choices. I still have brown skin regardless of the state of my hair.

Truth be told, I like my hair texture straight, if that makes sense. I like the fact that even though my hair is relaxed, it's still 4a hair. That allows me to go back and forth between the wrap, twistouts, buns, rollersets, etc. The fact that it doesn't look like "white" hair has never been an issue for me.

Lovelylocs

Devil's Advocate: Well, we may not look white with our relaxed hair, but sometimes after my relaxer and my Dominican blowout I see the East Indians trying to figure out if I am one of them or not. :lol: Maybe we are trying to be some other group of color. :p

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
It doesn't bother me at all. Futhermore, if someone said I should wear my hair a certain way that they like, they better be willing to foot the bill for it.

devin

I personally have never experienced anyone talking negatively to me about relaxers because everyone I know relaxes their hair. But people are going to always have opinions about something. Just like with makeup, I love makeup and am a makeup artists. Women and I find particularly black women(not all, but some) have very different views about makeup and how you do or don't need it or how only ugly women or women with flaws wear it, etc., etc. So you just take it with a grain of salt and keep your opinions to yourself, because just like you feel strong about your beliefs, they feel just as strong about theirs and no one is going to change their mind. I don't worry about it, because in the end I am going to do what's best for me and what makes me feel good about me.:)

Proudpiscean

My hair has been relaxed for at least 15 years and I've never had anyone approach me with that ish........I really don't believe it would bother me though because it is just a style choice, just like some people choose to color their hair or whatever.

Proudpiscean

getmoore said:
Well I'm natural and I experienced the oppisite of course. Folks always have something to say about why I DON'T have a relaxer. I have two family members who actually think that natural hair is UGLY and no matter what Black folks NEED relaxers period! It's something that NEEDS TO BE FIXED!:confused: When I was relaxed I never got flack for having a relaxer because most black women where I lived had them.I think it's crazy that folks have sooo much to say about other folk's hair. It's just NUTS when folks actually think that relaxers are what you're SUPPOSED to have as a black woman. I think I would have been equally annoyed if I had to listen to a bunch of crap about why I chose to relax way back when. Life is too short for such foolishness. Will we ever get past this mess? :ohwell:

I think your hair is pretty :) just the way it is.

SignatureBeauty

I must say that it does gets on my nerves, I have been relaxed, I have been natural, I have been texturized all because I want to, I am natural and I am still black and I still have that same self pride as when I was relaxed, I went natural because I chose to not because of the brainwashed/slave mentality business. And it makes me sick to know that the way a Black Woman chooses to wear her hair makes her different. Please, by beaing Relaxed does not mean you want to be white or whatever the Hell.

The Ladies on this Board shows that Relaxed hair can grow long & can be healthy with proper care. I feel that there is more in this world to worry about then worry about being nappyheaded or relaxed. I mean my goodness you can't use this, you can't use that or if you press your Natural hair you are
trying to be white, or if you blow dry it, I have seen some that have done that and forgot about those old post Uhh!

That is why I Love this board and have basically made it my New Home because here you can do whatever you want to do with your hair and not be critizied for doing so and have the support that you need either way! I just wish it all would stop. (YEAH RIGHT)

Sorry I was talking to much LOL!!!!!