Relaxed Ladies on Low Manipulation

gymfreak336

I have a quick question. How do you do low manipulation if you rollerset? Would you just rollerset as usually and not comb again until the next wash?

BotanyGrl

I have no clue, but my relaxed hair does not like low mani :nono: So I try to be as gentle as possible when I do comb or brush.

sareca

Great question! I rarely rollerset, but sylver2 does and she has lots of pics about her reggie in her fotki.

Glib Gurl

I am interested in knowing to what others do. I am not on "low mani" or anything, but I do try to be as careful as possible when rollersetting in the evening . . . .

silverlotus

Hmm, I haven't tried this myself, but maybe you could pincurl your hair at night? That way you keep the curls (if you want) & you don't have to comb.

bablou00

Im very low manipulation with my hair and when i rollerset its only for one night since I work out and sweat it out. I take my time when i rollerset and use pantene pro-v detangler. Not until i reach my goal will I do my hair a lot so its up in a clip or air dried for me.

gymfreak336

Hmm, I haven't tried this myself, but maybe you could pincurl your hair at night? That way you keep the curls (if you want) & you don't have to comb.

My overnight pin curls look a mess. When I sleep on them, they get weird bends in them. I don't have this problem if I don't lay on them. I sometime put in a couple before leaving for class and take them down before I get out of my car when I get to school.

silverlotus

My overnight pin curls look a mess. When I sleep on them, they get weird bends in them. I don't have this problem if I don't lay on them. I sometime put in a couple before leaving for class and take them down before I get out of my car when I get to school.

Hmmm, sorry I can't help you more with the pincurls :(. I know Lauren450 was a weekly rollersetter before she cut. Maybe you could check her fotki or pm her?

gymfreak336

Hmmm, sorry I can't help you more with the pincurls :(. I know Lauren450 was a weekly rollersetter before she cut. Maybe you could check her fotki or pm her?

Thanks Silverlotus...you are always so helpful to me. I remeber some members mentioning using flexirods at night since they are soft. I might have to give that a go.

Evazhair

I have a quick question. How do you do low manipulation if you rollerset? Would you just rollerset as usually and not comb again until the next wash?

Yes. I rollerset with a wide tooth and fine tooth bone comb. I don't comb again until I detangle to wash a week later. In between, my hair stays neat by wearing a scarf and/or hairnet at night, like Sylver2's method. It keeps the hair in place and neat. If I pincurl, I do minor detangling of my ends with my fingers from the ends up If I feel a big tangle. Time consuming, but effective. I think keeping the ends lubricated helps with this as well. HTH

gymfreak336

Yes. I rollerset with a wide tooth and fine tooth bone comb. I don't comb again until I detangle to wash a week later. In between, my hair stays neat by wearing a scarf and/or hairnet at night, like Sylver2's method. It keeps the hair in place and neat. If I pincurl, I do minor detangling of my ends with my fingers from the ends up If I feel a big tangle. Time consuming, but effective. I think keeping the ends lubricated helps with this as well. HTH

Thanks. How do you keep your pin curls from looking flat when you wake up? I still haven't gotten that right. I will have to check out Sylver2's photo album for help.

Ronda123

Well, I consider my routine low manipulation. I wash and rollerset every weekend (Sunday). I wrap my hair with a silk scarf daily until it is time for the next wash and rollerset. The only time I comb my hair is when I rollerset (I finger comb through the week).

gymfreak336

Well, I consider my routine low manipulation. I wash and rollerset every weekend (Sunday). I wrap my hair with a silk scarf daily until it is time for the next wash and rollerset. The only time I comb my hair is when I rollerset (I finger comb through the week).

Do you just flat wrap it with your fingers and tie it up?

Thanks for your comments. You have very pretty hair, looks very shiney and full in your picture.

mzcris

Well I rollerset every week and once I take the rollers out...I wrap my hair and cover my head with saran wrap and sit under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes to get that smooth flat iron look...other than that I just keep it wrapped at night...style and go the next day. Hope I helped...

gymfreak336

Well I rollerset every week and once I take the rollers out...I wrap my hair and cover my head with saran wrap and sit under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes to get that smooth flat iron look...other than that I just keep it wrapped at night...style and go the next day. Hope I helped...

Thanks Mzcris...Maybe I should go back to wrapping.

Ronda123

Do you just flat wrap it with your fingers and tie it up?

Thanks for your comments. You have very pretty hair, looks very shiney and full in your picture.

Thank you!

The way I wrap my hair is a little different from others--what I do is make like I am going to put my hair in two pony tails (part down the back of head) and grab each side and criss cross my hair and tie the scarf around it. I make sure the ends are curled as if I am going to pin curl each side (but I don't). I hope that makes sense. This seems to work for me.

HTH

gymfreak336

Thank you!

The way I wrap my hair is a little different from others--what I do is make like I am going to put my hair in two pony tails (part down the back of head) and grab each side and criss cross my hair and tie the scarf around it. I make sure the ends are curled as if I am going to pin curl each side (but I don't). I hope that makes sense. This seems to work for me.

HTH

Gotcha! I will try that, thanks

IntoMyhair

If i was to make a set last
. I would do tight spiral type curls and only pick out the front a little.
Just to blend it in.

At night i would gently left up the sides up over my ears to where the curl was just hanging over. Than pin it with a good hair day pin(my hair would look like a mohawk kind of)
Than i would sleep in a satin bonnet and each morning shake out the curls.

I saw a reply someone did either on this board on a another board or fotki where the lady said that was how she maintained her sets.

I did do it once when i wanted to be cute with the good hair pins and the curls did last.

MonaLisa

*Quick hijack*

Gawgeous!! :drool:

*that is all*

Back to thread discussion.....:look:

Isis

:yep: This is what I do. I pincurl at night without combing and it works very well. :)

Evazhair

Thanks. How do you keep your pin curls from looking flat when you wake up? I still haven't gotten that right. I will have to check out Sylver2's photo album for help.

I do 2 or 4 of them. I lightly twist at the root then wrap the length around 2 fingers and secure with duck bill clips. It kind of looks like an invisible roller, if you can picture that. In the morning I squeeze lightly to reshape them. It sort of fluffs them back up.

Isis

Thank you!

HTH
That is different. :scratchch How do your ends stay curled as if you're going to pin curl before you get the scarf around it?

Isis

Just want to add that I pin curl flat by making the curls sideways against my head, starting from the ends and going up. I make 6 to 8 sections. I use a Good Hair Days pin to secure it and tie a silk or satin scarf over it. It stays flat while I'm sleeping so the curl never gets disturbed.

silverlotus

*Quick hijack*

Gawgeous!! :drool:

*that is all*

Back to thread discussion.....:look:

Thank you, MonaLisa! :Rose:

Sometimes I follow Ronda's wrapping technique (cross-wrapping). It's supposed to prevent the thinning on one side that can result from regular wrapping. Plus it's way easier & doesn't require much manipulation. KhandiB has a tutorial in her fotki.

Isis

Thank you, MonaLisa! :Rose:

Sometimes I follow Ronda's wrapping technique (cross-wrapping). It's supposed to prevent the thinning on one side that can result from regular wrapping. Plus it's way easier & doesn't require much manipulation. KhandiB has a tutorial in her fotki.

(another hijack here) :sekret:

ITA with Monalisa! I told myself several times already how beautiful your hair looks Silverlotus and meant to post my thoughts! I'll bet everyone's thinking the same thing. :yep: I'm going to have to learn how to do this.

silverlotus

(another hijack here) :sekret:

ITA with Monalisa! I told myself several times already how beautiful your hair looks Silverlotus and meant to post my thoughts! I'll bet everyone's thinking the same thing. :yep: I'm going to have to learn how to do this.

Thanks, Isis! I have always admired your hair too, along with your positivity & informative posts on the board! :)

I have been thinking of pincurling for a while. Maybe I'll attempt it sometime this week.

Sorry for the hijack, Gym. Let us know how your hair turns out. :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My hair is not relaxed but I am a low mani girl. What I do with rollersets is finger comb back like I'm doing a pony tail but instead I'll twist it into a bantu knot. This gives my hair curls/waves.

The Girl

Well, I dunno if you would call the ones I do oincurls or invisible rollers. I roll them up and then pin them in the inside with a duckbill clip. Its kinda hard to describe the invisible rollers. Think of how when we used to make bangs when we were little. Finger curling them is probably the best description. The pin goes on the bottom like when you clip for a magnetic rollerset....HTH