Relaxed Ladies, please post your Henna Regimens

Hi all,

I'm natural but my BFF is relaxed and is trying to decide if using Henna or Henna&Indigo is a good idea for her to color hair and blend/cover her greys.

If you are relaxed and use Henna (or Henna&Indigo) please post your mixture, your regimen and any thing else my friend should know.

If you could also answer the following it would help us:

How long have you been Henna-ing?

Where do you purchase your Henna from?

What is your mixture (ratios (if henna & indigo), add-ins, oils, etc.)?

How long does it take you to do the process or treatment?

Do you use heat (heating cap, steamer, hood dryer, etc.)?

Do you Deep Condition right after your Henna treament? What do you use to Deep Condition?

Do you have any suggestions, tips or warnings regarding using Henna (or Henna&Indigo) on Relaxed Hair?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and information!

moore.1506

Hi all,

I'm natural but my BFF is relaxed and is trying to decide if using Henna or Henna&Indigo is a good idea for her to color hair and blend/cover her greys.

If you are relaxed and use Henna (or Henna&Indigo) please post your mixture, your regimen and any thing else my friend should know.

How long have you been Henna-in?

Do you Deep Condition right after your Henna treament? What do you use to Deep Condition?

Do you have any suggestions, tips or warnings regarding using Henna (or Henna&Indigo) on Relaxed Hair?

Although im transistioning I was using it before I began transitioning

I get it from hennaforhair.com

I have been doing it about 2 years now

I mix in cloves about 3 tsp, a cup of black coffee, and a squirt of lemon juice, mix it and let it sit out for at least 3 hours.

The night before a henna I do an overnight deep conditon with a good moisturizing conditoner, I was using nexxus

I wake up early about 7 am, rinse off the conditioner then apply the henna in thin-ish sections then put on a plastic cap, if I wanna go back to sleep I put a towel over the plastic cap

In about two to three hours I run a bath full of water and then I dunk my head in by lying on my back on the toliet top (yes it sounds/looks hilarious) while co-washing to get the henna out I use a cheapie conditioner to get the henna out (never gets every bit of henna out but im fine with that)

Then I deep condition agian for about an hour with nexxus humectress and wash out in the shower.

After all this I usually wear a braid out so if there are any little pieces still in there they are not noticable but dunking my head in the tub that way does help alot.

Hope this helps OP

orchidgirl

I henna my mothers hair and use is relaxed. However I just used the regular henna. So it gave her reddish hair. The extremely grey in from was a bit more bright red. (Indigo is recommended ) But she love the henna. Her hair is so much healthier for it. I do not ad anything with it just water. Cure it for more than 8 hours. Apply and let it sit on her head for an hour to two depending on the take. Rinse very very well. I condition at lease 2 times after to rinse henna out. Shampoo if needed and deep condition after. (The indian guy said that if you see any breakage it is because you did not get all the henna out.) So washing and conditioning are extremely important. After I oil her hair blow dry straight. i softens her roots so that she can stretch between relaxers....which she loves as she has had to cut a lot of her hair off due to a bad relaxer. Hope this help, hopefully some more experienced ladies can also give some advice.

Babygurl

I have been using Henna for about 3 years now.

I purchase my Henna from Amazon or http://www.hennasooq.com

I mix my Henna with a few cups of Milk and Honey Rinse (Dominican) and I add shea and coconut oil, no particular measurements.

When I mix my Henna I will let sit overnight or for about 8 hours for slight color release.

I sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes and let sit on the hair for another 2-3 hours.

I deep condition after I Henna, I typically use Humectress or Silicon Mix.

My only suggestion is that is does slightly change the texture of my relaxed hair for about a week and makes it slightly less manageable, deep conditioning, usually straightens this out.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hi all,

How long have you been Henna-ing?

1) Almost a Year

2) Mehandi.com Body Art Quality Henna for African American and Chemically Treated Hair

3) 1/3 Henna with a Splash of Oil i.e. Alma, Wheat Germ, EVOO to 1/2 Indigo with Dash of Salt and Warm Water (Mixed & Applied Separately)

4) 2 Step Process. Henna 2-3 Hours. Indigo 1-2 Hours

5) No. Just Saran Wrap & Plastic Cap(s)

6) I always rinse hair really well. Then Co-Wash with a Moisturizing Conditioner of my Choosing. Apply Henna to "Damp" hair. Rinse out first, with clear water for a long time. Then Use a "Cheapy Conditioner" Either V05 or Suave to Rinse Out. Entire Process (henna & indigo) I will use at least 1 or 1 1/2 Bottles of "Cheap" Conditioner during the Rinse-Out.
*Always DC with Moisturizing DC Treatment with Heat Afterwards for about 1 Hour

7) Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize!