Relaxed ladies - what EXACTLY do you do to keep moisture protein balance

preciousstone

Ladies please share details on what you do exactly. I dying for examples. I'm suffering from demarcation line breakage and I think its because my protien/moisture balance was off this relaxer cycle..

I weekly used ors replinishing for a dc and moisturized daily with ors carrot oil. I thought that was sufficient but.. anyway... I'm nearing relaxer time and want to use the next relaxer period to do it up right.

So here are some questions ...

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use?

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner?

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so?

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer?

thanks

BeautifulFlower

To keep your moisture/protein balance, I moisturize DC one week, then protein DC on another and pray for a happy ending...No really....Thats what I used to do though.

I moisturize daily with Rusk Sensories Smoother Conditioner.

I am Dr. Bronner's Shikakai Soap to shampoo (thats a mixture of strengthening and moisturizing).

I use Aphogee 2-min every week. I just put a little on my ends then put some Kenra Moisturizing DC over it. Let it sit for a little bit (10mins), then rinse. I probably wont continue this permenantly, I just do it to strengthen my bone-relax'd ends....

I always use a Reconstructor after a relaxer...Nexxuss or Aphogee. This restores strength and a little texture to my hair.

But the key is to listen to your hair and more times then not...you'll need moisture then protein. Protein is needed when the hair is soft and breaking. I do not use hardcore protein anymore. A reconstructor with keratin or ceramides will do fine.

preciousstone

T

I always use a Reconstructor after a relaxer...Nexxuss or Aphogee. This restores strength and a little texture to my hair.

But the key is to listen to your hair and more times then not...you'll need moisture then protein. Protein is needed when the hair is soft and breaking. I do not use hardcore protein anymore. A reconstructor with keratin or ceramides will do fine.

thanks!
about the reconstructor.. am sorry if this is a dumb question.. but what nexxuss product is a reconstructor? and how soon after the relaxer do you use the reconstructor?

Lady Esquire

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? Yes. Sometimes I use whatever leave-in I have laying around. Lately I use Cantu Leave-In in the mornings, and seal with coconut oil.

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? I use CON shampoo. If I have build-up, I use a clarifying shampoo first, then follow it with the CON moisture shampoo.

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so? No. Only if need be. If I do, I prefer to prepoo with a protein conditioner, and then DC with a moisture condish, to balance it out.

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? Yeah, I always do a protein a week prior to my relaxers and a week after. I alternate between Aphogee Intense Treatment for Damaged Hair and Nexxus Emergencee. If my hair really needs it, I do a henna treatment either before or after, which is about 2-3 times per year.

thanks - you're quite welcome.

Also, check out the Self-Relaxer Support Thread.

Cleve_gryl

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? I moisturize daily with NTM Silk Touch, sealed with Jojoba oil...very moisturizing.

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? I'll use Aveda DR every couple weeks (poo/con), just to switch up routine.

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so? I like the Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor once a week after I poo...5 minutes no heat, rinse then DC normally leaves me with strong soft moisturized hair.

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? I did try the hardcore Aphogee a week before my touch up for the first time this month. It came out great, and so did the touch up. I normally use the 2 Minute immediately after rinsing out a relaxer for a few minutes, neutralize then DC.

My hair is protein sensitive and the only conditioner that doesn't dry me out is the Aphogee 2 Minute, which I can use safely once a week.

IntoMyhair

Ladies please share details on what you do exactly. I dying for examples. I'm suffering from demarcation line breakage and I think its because my protien/moisture balance was off this relaxer cycle..

I weekly used ors replinishing for a dc and moisturized daily with ors carrot oil. I thought that was sufficient but.. anyway... I'm nearing relaxer time and want to use the next relaxer period to do it up right.

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? I use a Moisturizer daily. Its a aloe vera spray bottle mix.

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? I use a protein conditioner.

I don't know if aphogee 2 minute is a deep conditioner but yes.
Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer?
I use mines on the day of relaxer
thanks

Here ya go.

TexturedTresses

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use?
i usually use an oil or butter on my hair daily.
i always use a moisturizing shampoo. i use protein conditioners as needed. i don't usually need it. but, if my hair feels too soft or is too stretchy then i will use it. i always use a protein conditioner right before my relaxer. i always follow protein with a moisturizing conditioner otherwise its snap, crackle and pop for my hair.
no, i don't think you can schedule it. you just have to learn your hair and figure out when you need it.
i use protein the last wash before my relaxer. i clarify, protein then moisture. i also do a mid protein treatment during my relaxer.
thanks

my answers are in bold.

sqzbly1908

Hi Precious Stone!!

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? No I don't use any type of daily moisturizer

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? Yes

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so? Yes - I actually is them more often - even though it is ill -advised, this works for me famously

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? Before my last relaxer - a few days before I did an overnight treatment of Megatek, followed up with moisturizing DC...the night before my relaxer, drenched my hair with Joico K-Pak Liquid Leave In Reconstructor and let it dry..

Now after my relaxer - I usually wash my hair 2-3 days after relaxing and I use a mild protein like AO GPB, Keraphix, Aphogee 2 minute - follow up with a moisturizing DC...sometimes it depends I may something a little stronger such as Ultra Sheen Duo Tex or Emergencee - followed up with a moisturizing dc...

Check out this link...this might be helpful
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=6544353&highlight=epiphany#post6544353

FluffyRed

I don't use a daily moisturizer. I have fine hair, and when it needs moisture is when i need to cowash. Moisturizers seem to leave my hair more brittle.

I rarely use shampoo. As far as conditioners, I take a protein condish, like Garnier length and strength or dumb blond reconstructor, and mix it 50-50 with a moisture condish and apply it to dry hair with an applicator - as if it were a relaxer. (Special focus on the demarcation line, when stretching) Put on a cap and leave for hours. After I rinse it out, I can comb through and not have broken little pieces.

I never use heavy protein. But I always use protein... with everything I apply to my hair. I don't think fine hair can retain all that extra protein, and is more subject to breakage with heavy protein, but this is jmo.

No, just regular routine. Cowash every three days.

Last edited:

TheGlamorousLife

thanks

preciousstone,
You should check out SistaSlick web page. I know a couple of years ago. She did this article on moisture, protein balance. The article had a lot of good information. I haven't been on LHCF almost going on five years. I do not know if she is still a member on the board but you can look her up in the search engine on the this board.

bajanplums1

I use two: it's a 10 leave in and cantu. I find that I don;t have to remoisturize during the week. I just add a bit to my ends at night.

Yes. I use a reconstructor followed by a moisturizing conditioner every week I wash

i use a reconstructor followed by a moisturizing conditioner. I sit under the dryer for 20 min with the reconstructor and 10 min with the moisturizing conditioner. Even though the reconstructor says use every other week, i use every week because my hair is fine and relaxed. Also I have noticed no breakage when wet combing, so it works for me.

since i do a reconstructor every week, i do nothing before the relaxer but immediately after i get relaxed, the next day i will wash my hair and use the reconstructor.

I also air dry religiously.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I can give my personal experience.

Hardcore proteins send my hair into shock. lol

Even if my hair was over moisturized, which is often, hardcore protein treatments, or milder treatments too often take me to the other end.

I find that giving my hair moisture MOST of the time, while spoon feeding the protein is better for me.

To do this, I add yogurt to my henna treatments and only do this once every 4-8 weeks. I can also do a 10 - 15 min deep condition with heat using something like Dumb Blonde, K-pak (any other the conditioners), Aphogee Keratin 2 min, or something like that. I will often mix in a nice oil with those.

If I do need a major treatment (like in the face of possible over processing or heat abuse) I still refrain from the hard core. I have even made a 'hot oil' treatment mixed with something like jojoba oil and straight hydrolyzed protein (collagen is the best for me when I really need some strength). I put in on and sit under the dryer with a plastic cap for about 15 min.

Doing it this way I never get hair that it too dry or too weak.

gymfreak336

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? No, I don't use a daily moisturizer.

I use a fortifying shampoo at just about every wash. The only moisturizing shampoo I use is kenra which is every now and then. I use a balanced conditioner like paul mitchell hair repair, joico kpak daily conditioner, aphogee 2 minute, aveda dr , or naked naturals citrus for the directed time once a week. On my second wash, do the same. Every 3rd wash, I use something like paul mitchell supercharged, ors replenishing or kenra mc as directed. I use paul mitchell the conditioner as my leave in after washing.

Pretty much. I also do a stronger treatment with dudleys DRC every 5-7 weeks.
I do a protein mid step as soon as I rinse out my relaxer.

SmilingElephant

This is what works for me......I use either ORS olive oil lotion or (as of now...i use shea butter) and seal with either coconut or olive oil.

I co wash with moisturizing conditioner.

I usually get my protein when i'm deep conditioning bc i usually add an egg to my deep conditioner for protein(usually a week b4 i do my relaxer).....lately i've been only using the ORS replenishing conditioner bc it really balances the moisture/protein.

Everything else i use is moisturizing only.

*KP*

Weekly I use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor for protein and then follow up with Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner for moisture. The week before a relaxer I usually use a stronger protein like Keracare Super Reconstructor. If my hair seems quite strong, I will just use the Aphogee 2min reconstructor and save the Super Reconstructor for the week after the relaxer. On relaxer day I use Aphogee 2min reconstuctor.

Can you tell I love Aphogee 2 min reconstructor?!?!

ETA - My leave in conditioner has protein in it but I only use it on wash day. I moisturise with ORS Olive Oil Lotion every 2-3 days.

Last edited:

sunnieb

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? I use ORS Carrot Oil twice daily. I don't thinks it's a protein moisturizer.

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? I dc with Motions CPR weekly on dry hair. I don't use a protein shampoo.

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so? Yes.

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? Not really. I just keep my regular regimen.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
What works for me is a light/med protein tx every wash, followed by a moisture DC. I have learned by how my hair feels, how long to leave the protein condish on- it can vary from as short as 1min to as long as 20. My hair is balanced 99% of the time with this method. I am forever indebted to IDareT'sHair who recommended this to me :yep:

On the rare occasions I am too far on moisture, I use a little protein leave-in. Too far on protein I'm a little more generous with my moisture leve-ins HE color me happy and S-curl.

Last edited:

Toy

I dont moisturize daily,When i do i use Proline Softner moisturizer or Qhemet root burdock butter,Qhemet Olive and Honey balm,Enso Naturals Honey & Olive Butter,S-curl Depending on what my hair requires.

Protein Conditioner

I usually use a Reconstructor Palm Mitchell

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? : After I relax my hair i do a ProteinTreatment Palmers Deep conditioning Protein Treatments

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
What works for me is a light/med protein tx every wash, followed by a moisture DC. I have learned by how my hair feels, how long to leave the protein condish on- it can vary from as short as 1min to as long as 20. My hair is balanced 99% of the time with this method. I am forever indebted to @IDareT'sHair who recommended this to me :yep:

On the rare occasions I am too far on moisture, I use a little protein leave-in. Too far on protein I'm a little more generous with my moisture leve-ins HE color me happy and S-curl.
halee_J - what was IDareT'sHair recommendation -- a weekly protein? I've started incorporating Millcreek Biotin (protein) weekly. Hair loves it.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
divachyk :yep: weekly protein. I've been eying that milkcreek biotin, I may pick some up now that you're raving about it. I just promised myself I wasn't trying anything else new though :rolleyes: :lol:

taz007

I use Joico Reconstructor (protein) and Joico Intense Hydrator/Biolage Hydrotherapie (ceramide/moisture mix). This has worked really well for my hair.

kupenda

Yes I moisturize daily. I dont intentionally use a protein moisturizer. I usually don't need to moisturize daily until I'm abt two to three weeks post tho now that I think abt it. But anyway, I use ORS Olive in the bottle, Bear Fruit Hair Desert, and LUSH R&B. The closer I get to my next relaxer, the heavier I have to moisturize and I begin to use thicker oils like castor oil mixed with what I usually use which is jojoba and grapeseed.

I just started using a protein conditioner (literally lol, like today) so I can't really help with that.

I make sure to use my aphogee 2 minute every week. I also use the green tea spray every once in awhile

I always DC heavily with oils and lots of yummy condish under the dryer for a bit for the first two weeks after my relaxer. After that I begin cowashing during the week so although I still DC I don't do it for as long

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

LaidBak

I mist with liquid leave in, seal with ceramide oil, and use a creamy, oil based moisturizer on my ends.

Moisturizing shampoo every time; and alternate between protein and moisturizing condish as needed. Sometimes I use a protein prepoo (Umberto collagen pre shampoo treatment).

Not automatically. I examine the condition of may hair daily to see what it needs.

I use a two-step protein treatment after every relaxer if I go to a salon; aphogee 2 minute if I relax at home.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? Yes, I use a moisture only and I have a few balanced moisturizers, they contain protein
Moisture
Taalijah Waajid protecitive mist bodifier
Jessicurl Aloeba
Balanced moisturizers.
Profective breakfree
Sallys GVP sebastain Potion 9

I alternate them through the week.

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? I have a protein shampoo (Aphogee for damaged hair) once its gone I wont be repurchasing because I feel the conditioners do the job

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so? I use a reg conditioner that contains protein every week. They imo are balancing conditioner. One time a month I use something a bit stronger and I dont DC after I just apply my leave-in on towel dried hair, on this specific week I dont use my protein leave-in

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? No I just follow my reg routine

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
How many of you relaxed ladies do a wet strand test? I do them regularly. Although I alternate protein and moisture products with cowashing and DC'ing with protein and moisture together I never go too far on the moisture side nor too far on the protein side. Just putting it out there for newbies primarily:yep:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlt...-do-you-know-hair-preferences.html#post717745

Never. I did it once and it didnt help me. I go based on how my hair feels.

I agree with you 100% on the bolded

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Myjourney2009 out of curiosity how would you explain the 'feeling' to a newbie? Because I never get close to either end of the spectrum my hair feels the same all the time. In the beginning I got protein overload and was able to feel the hardness of that and then when I got moisture overload I felt that but for me it's been the wet strand test that really keeps me kosher.

hothair

Do you use a daily moisturizer? Is it a protein moisturizer? Which one do you use? Yes two days after wash. Giovanni Direct leave in sealed with EVOO/Almond oil

Do you use a protein shampoo and or protein conditioner? Yes Aveda DR Intensive/ Colour Conserve as DC weekly

Do you automatically use a protein deep conditioner every wk or so?Yes as above I hardly need a moisturising DC because of my pre-poos.

Do you do anything special in the way of protein or moisture before or directly after a relaxer? I do a hard Aphogee around relaxer time