Relaxed ladies - what EXACTLY do you do to keep moisture protein balance

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Myjourney2009 out of curiosity how would you explain the 'feeling' to a newbie? Because I never get close to either end of the spectrum my hair feels the same all the time. In the beginning I got protein overload and was able to feel the hardness of that and then when I got moisture overload I felt that but for me it's been the wet strand test that really keeps me kosher.

For me the feeling is:
cool to the touch hair and my hair feels very pliable
also if my hair is not accepting my moisture only product it is time for me to use my balanced moisturizing product

achangedlife

I messed up my last relaxer and over processed my hair, I started having breakage also. What saved me was Ion Reconstructor found @ Sally's. I had 2 use it twice to notice the difference, since then I've used it a couple more times but just as an instant conditioner, followed by moisture.

Otherwise I go by what my hair is doing, if I'm having shedding/breakage I use more protein, but always followed by moisture. If dryness or hair is normal I just use moisture. If I'm not having any real issues sometimes I'll use a protein conditioner and moisturizing shampoo or vise versa.

Sent from my LS670

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
@Nix08 - I wet strand tested for porosity but never protein/moisture. As a newbie, protein moisture tripped me up big time. I got to the point where I did zero protein. No good. After reading Sistah's book I learned reconstructors sit on top of the strands and wash away in a few washes (think that's what it said; not quoting directly so hang with me). I think the stronger treatments penetrate (again, not reading directly from the book so hang with me). I now use reconstructors with the thought in mind if I go to far on the protein side, it will wash off after several washes. If I find this section in the book to be different than what I typed, I will edit my posting. Now that I'm using more protein, my hair is staying balanced. For me, though - cool hair to the touch means I'm nicely moisturized so it seems to be situational and you have to get to know your hair. I was so sick of hearing that when I first joined but I know it's the trooof!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
@Nix08 - I wet strand tested for porosity but never protein/moisture. As a newbie, protein moisture tripped me up big time. I got to the point where I did zero protein. No good. After reading Sistah's book I learned reconstructors sit on top of the strands and wash away in a few washes (think that's what it said; not quoting directly so hang with me). I think the stronger treatments penetrate (again, not reading directly from the book so hang with me). I now use reconstructors with the thought in mind if I go to far on the protein side, it will wash off after several washes. If I find this section in the book to be different than what I typed, I will edit my posting. Now that I'm using more protein, my hair is staying balanced. For me, though - cool hair to the touch means I'm nicely moisturized so it seems to be situational and you have to get to know your hair. I was so sick of hearing that when I first joined but I know it's the trooof!

Both you and myjourney2009 used the term cool to the touch...interesting as I've never heard that before (you know I'll be seeking out a cool feeling:yep:) I do get you what you mean about being annoyed in the beginning with the 'having to know your hair" I use to do everything on a schedule but not anymore as I now thoroughly know MY hair. I still try and recruit people to this hair journey :grin: so aside from a wet strand test which I realized from reading posts not too many people do I was wondering how you guys determined that balance. Maybe I'm calling it by the wrong name:ohwell:

ETA: In the link I added up thread - they call it a 'stretch test'

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
[B said:
Nix08[/B];13934011]Both you and myjourney2009 used the term cool to the touch...interesting as I've never heard that before (you know I'll be seeking out a cool feeling:yep:) I do get you what you mean about being annoyed in the beginning with the 'having to know your hair" I use to do everything on a schedule but not anymore as I now thoroughly know MY hair. I still try and recruit people to this hair journey :grin: so aside from a wet strand test which I realized from reading posts not too many people do I was wondering how you guys determined that balance. Maybe I'm calling it by the wrong name:ohwell:

ETA: In the link I added up thread - they call it a 'stretch test'

Hey that cool to the touch thing is something I learned here. It was one of my many aha moments

Let us know when you get that feeling.

On sunday my hair felt so good I did not want the feeling to go away but my scalp said otherwise, so I had to wash.

LaidBak

@Myjourney2009 out of curiosity how would you explain the 'feeling' to a newbie? Because I never get close to either end of the spectrum my hair feels the same all the time. In the beginning I got protein overload and was able to feel the hardness of that and then when I got moisture overload I felt that but for me it's been the wet strand test that really keeps me kosher.

If my hair feels too stiff, not pliable, and lacks shine then that's too much protein. If it feels mushy and limp then that's too much moisture. Balanced hair feels bouncy, soft, and yes, cool to the touch.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Hey that cool to the touch thing is something I learned here. It was one of my many aha moments

Let us know when you get that feeling.

On sunday my hair felt so good I did not want the feeling to go away but my scalp said otherwise, so I had to wash.

Ok yes, I'm a chicken:blush: I'm not going to try and understand that cool feeling because I can't mentally afford any setbacks:ohwell:

However this will help someone else:yep:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
halee_J - :wave: did you ever pick up the MC Biotin?

Nix08 - have you experienced that cool to the touch feeling yet? You'll know it when you feel/experience it.

Raspberry

I'm still figuring this out..

I thought I was protein sensitive but reading some threads made me realize that it was my under-processed ends that didn't need as much protein as the rest of my relaxed hair, thus my ends feeling hard.

I'm noticing that a lot of the pricier moisture rich conditioners have proteins in them, so maybe I don't need to do additional protein treatments if I stick with certain salon brands for conditioner..?

ETA: I'm noticing added proteins in many leave-ins as well.. especially silk, wheat, and keratin.

Last edited:

Raspberry

I'm still figuring this out..

I thought I was protein sensitive but reading some threads made me realize that it was my under-processed ends that didn't need as much protein as the rest of my relaxed hair, thus my ends feeling hard.

I'm noticing that a lot of the pricier moisture rich conditioners have proteins in them, so maybe I don't need to do additional protein treatments if I stick with certain salon brands for conditioner..?

ETA: I'm noticing added proteins in many leave-ins as well.. especially silk, wheat, and keratin.

Well the protein/moisture thing has gotten easier for since I discovered that my hair loves water based moisturizers. I rotate in a shampoo or a conditioner with a mild protein in it every other week and things seem fine. There's also hydrolyzed wheat protein or hydrolyzed silk protein in all my leave-ins, serums, and butters. I concentrate on water based moisture through frequent washes and a liquid leave-in and let the mild proteins in my everyday products do the rest. Also, coconut oil prevents protein loss from the hair.

Hard proteins are unnecessary and risky for me unless I have obvious damage so I avoid using them.

HoneyDew

I never do a hardcore protein treatment. Those seem like too much for my hair. But I do use light protein often. My hair actually like a little protein. It actually HELPS with moisture imo.