Relaxed ladies with fine hair?

CaptainSyrup

Hello. I went to a ladies house today to get sisterlocks done, and I noticed that she did relaxers, too. I asked her about them, and she said my hair would probably not grow past shoulder length because it was fine.

So, I was wondering if it's possibe to grow out fine hair with a relaxer? I'm hoping to reach waist length some day. I'm not sure where to find the different hairstypes chart, but I know I'm a 4-something. (Forgive me if the chart's been posted somewhere already, I did a search but it was a looong time ago.)

If I do get it relaxed, it would be bone straight. If any ladies have any success stories with fine relaxed hair, let me know. <3

leleepop

CaptainSyrup said:
Hello. I went to a ladies house today to get sisterlocks done, and I noticed that she did relaxers, too. I asked her about them, and she said my hair would probably not grow past shoulder length because it was fine.

So, I was wondering if it's possibe to grow out fine hair with a relaxer? I'm hoping to reach waist length some day. I'm not sure where to find the different hairstypes chart, but I know I'm a 4-something. (Forgive me if the chart's been posted somewhere already, I did a search but it was a looong time ago.)

If I do get it relaxed, it would be bone straight. If any ladies have any success stories with fine relaxed hair, let me know. <3
Yes it is VERY possible for you hair to grow waaaaaay past your shoulders!!!hhg

OneInAMillion

I'm relaxed (moreso texturized) with fine hair, but I would caution against getting it done bone straight. It CAN make your hair look very thin, so I would advise against a bone straight relaxer. You can grow past shoulder length though, may ladies here have.

Honestly, there's so much room for error when relaxing my hair that I'm not sure if I want to continue. It's always a risk-- if you have hair that is not resistant at all to relaxers, it can be particularly challenging, in my opinion.

missvi

God is Good!!
My hair is fine. A stylist once told me my hair will never look good long.

Last edited:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Yes it's definitely possible. I have fine hair as well and it's really about finding products/methods that work for your hair and maintaining the proper moisture and protein balance for your tresses. Also I agree w/ OneInAMillion it's pretty easy to overprocess fine hair so be careful w/ relaxer application and timing.

KiniKakes

sherann said:
I think Kinikakes has fine hair and her hair is the bomb!

Thanks Sherann!!!! :D

Yes, it IS possible to grow out fine hair! Its funny, this topic came up just a few days ago, in fact..... I forgot the name of the thread. But a member was calling out to fine-haired ladies who had grown beyond a certain length.

I think with fine hair you do have to take more precautions, for ex, not overprocessing the hair, overlapping relaxers, etc. Shedding or breakage is murder for us, because our hair is already thin/fine. And too much product in the hair is not good either, because it weighs the hair down and takes away from its bounce/lightness.

Check out my album and take a look! Ive been able to grow and retain length, despite my hair being very fine. We can do it girl!!!!

divinefavor

My hair is very fine and I used to be told that my hair will never grow past my shoulders. I was also once told that my hair would look to thin and see through if I let it grow too long. Well, I beg to differ and with the help of the wonderful ladies here, I am now past shoulder length (in the back) and my hair is thickening up some.

DAX

Oh, my heart be still. I am over here having a mini heartattack after reading this post. I have fine hair and the thought of doing all this good hair care and maintenance and not being able to have long, swinging hair, oh, I will just die!

Seriously, after looking at Mochamadness and Kinikakes, I am feeling better again. Both of those ladies have bangin hair. Kinikakes hair is exactly the same texture as mines and she has beautiful hair. I want to know what relaxer Kinikakes uses, how long she processes the relaxer, and if she is color treated?

Of course, when that lady told you that your hair will never grow because it is fine, she clumped all fine-haired people in one category. I see a lot of women with fine hair that is long and healthy.

Keep growing.

KiniKakes

DAX said:
Oh, my heart be still. I am over here having a mini heartattack after reading this post. I have fine hair and the thought of doing all this good hair care and maintenance and not being able to have long, swinging hair, oh, I will just die!

Seriously, after looking at Mochamadness and Kinikakes, I am feeling better again. Both of those ladies have bangin hair. Kinikakes hair is exactly the same texture as mines and she has beautiful hair. I want to know what relaxer Kinikakes uses, how long she processes the relaxer, and if she is color treated?

Of course, when that lady told you that your hair will never grow because it is fine, she clumped all fine-haired people in one category. I see a lot of women with fine hair that is long and healthy.

Keep growing.

Thannks Dax!!!!

I also wanted to point out that my hair is fine but ALSO has few strands. There are some women with fine hair that appears thick and "big" because they have a lot of strands in the hair. But mine is like, a double whammy, being fine with few strands. :perplexed But anyhoo......

I use a mild, no-lye, gentle treatment relaxer by Johnson & Co. I only use this particular brand because its the only lye, mild relaxer that my Dominican salon carries. But Ive tried a variety of mild relaxers over the years, Optimum, Mizani, etc. They all worked fine. However, Mizani took me bone straight, which I did not like. Anyway, the key for me is using a mild relaxer and immedietely rinsing out after its been applied. My hair is so soft that it doesnt take long to straighten it.

I am not color-treated now, although in the past I went through a variety of colors. But at this point, I havent had color in my hair for nearly ten years.

PinkAngel

My hair is fine but healthy, I'm careful not to relax bone straight or over process & I cannot do permanent color = breakage. I take special care to keep the protein/moisture balanced.

DAX

Kinikakes,

You are very welcome. I am stalking your fotki! Your hair is so gorgeous. Have you ever been the Feature of the Month? If not, you have my vote for September.

I pretty much use a lot of the same products that you have in your regimen except for the oils. I notice that you use a combination of oils. Do you use them on your scalp or just to seal your moisture?

My last relaxer I used Elasta QP and I was pretty happy with it. No matter what relaxer I use, I am bone straight.

I am afraid to wear braids or weaves because too many ladies have problems with thinning after taking them out and the last thing I need is thinner hair. I am planning to cornrow when my relaxer gets old.

Good luck on reaching your goal. I will be looking to you for inspiration.

KiniKakes

DAX said:
Kinikakes,

You are very welcome. I am stalking your fotki! Your hair is so gorgeous. Have you ever been the Feature of the Month? If not, you have my vote for September.

I pretty much use a lot of the same products that you have in your regimen except for the oils. I notice that you use a combination of oils. Do you use them on your scalp or just to seal your moisture?

My last relaxer I used Elasta QP and I was pretty happy with it. No matter what relaxer I use, I am bone straight.

I am afraid to wear braids or weaves because too many ladies have problems with thinning after taking them out and the last thing I need is thinner hair. I am planning to cornrow when my relaxer gets old.

Good luck on reaching your goal. I will be looking to you for inspiration.

I usually use those oils to seal my ends in. I do put essential oils on my scalp.... but all other oils are used for sealing in the water-based moisturizer.

Girl, my hair is sooo thin but braids have always worked for me, for some reason! I just make sure the edges arent TOO tight when they do it.... and I am extra careful when I remove them. So i usually get pretty good growth from my braids--very little breakage (thank goodness!) and no thinning.

Yeah, whatever relaxer I use pretty much gets me bone straight to, although its a mild. That's why I get roller sets and stuff.... it gives the illusion of more body and fullness.

Gosh, Ive never been feature of the month.... and Im shocked that you would think my hair is worthy of that. That's flattering in itself!!! Thank you so much!!!

MissFallon

Yeah I have the same problem. But I feel that ladies with fine hair can definately have hair longer than shoulder length. You just have to make sure your ends stay looking healthy. I'm working on mine now. I plan on cutting all my hair off soon but I'm doing my ends later in the month.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I have fine hair also and seeing all you ladies with such beautiful hair lets me know for sure that I can reach my goals.

twin1

Divine favor, we are definitely hair twins. I think you are the first person here whose album I looked at and felt as if I was looking at my own hair. Our hair is definitely, definitely fine and delicate and difficult to take care of. we need kid gloves.

Denim And Leather

That was a very ignorant remark. I hope you don't get your hair done by this person. :mad:

As you can see, there are many ladies here who have fine hair, well past their shoulders. My hair is also fine, and it's almost to my bra strap.

It can be done, you can do it. :yep:

KiniKakes

Denim And Leather said:
That was a very ignorant remark. I hope you don't get your hair done by this person. :mad:

As you can see, there are many ladies here who have fine hair, well past their shoulders. My hair is also fine, and it's almost to my bra strap.

It can be done, you can do it. :yep:

[Sidebar:] D&L, Im so devastated that you dont have Comments OR your Guestbook enabled in your Fokti! Your pictures and hair are fabulous, and there is so much that I wanted to say!!!! Dang man!!! :lol:

neonbright

Yes you can go hair past your shoulders with fine hair. After being extremly sick and still working on it and taking meds 2 - 3 times a day. I have grown it several time to my bra strap. I think I am not going that long again, I will go maybe 2 inches shorter. But look at my advatar and see the proof. I have been relaxing since 2003 with no problems with growth.

KiniKakes

neonbright said:
Yes you can go hair past your shoulders with fine hair. After being extremly sick and still working on it and taking meds 2 - 3 times a day. I have grown it several time to my bra strap. I think I am not going that long again, I will go maybe 2 inches shorter. But look at my advatar and see the proof. I have been relaxing since 2003 with no problems with growth.

NB, your hair is very pretty. Do you have a Fokti?

peacelove

CaptainSyrup said:

Hey there. I have fine hair and I don't think that hinders growth. At least I hope not! I just added my first photo to my siggy so you can see where I am (not that long yet, but I had to cut about 1 1/2 inches). Also, I do not relax bone straight. I think that is a no no for the fine hair girls. My stylist got me off Affirm because she said I need something less strong. I use Elucence now (even though I don't think it is THAT mild either). But she does not smooth my hair out. I think it is important to leave texture when your hair is fine. It helps with giving it some body IMO. :)

MonaLisa

mochamadness said:
Yes it's definitely possible. I have fine hair as well and it's really about finding products/methods that work for your hair and maintaining the proper moisture and protein balance for your tresses. Also I agree w/ OneInAMillion it's pretty easy to overprocess fine hair so be careful w/ relaxer application and timing.

*Fine haired chick comes into thread....and dangit...spots Mocha's hair...*

*I'm starting to feel a little bit better and not wanting to give up...realizing we have some fine haired inspirations on the board :D *

Denim And Leather

KiniKakes said:
[Sidebar:] D&L, Im so devastated that you dont have Comments OR your Guestbook enabled in your Fokti! Your pictures and hair are fabulous, and there is so much that I wanted to say!!!! Dang man!!! :lol:

Really?!:eek:

Coming from you, that has definitely made my day! :D

Thanks, chicka! :kiss:

Off to change my Fotki settings....

ETA- Ok, you can leave comments on my Fotki or sign my guestbook, but you have to be logged into your Fotki account to do so. :)

blackbarbie

Another fine haired testimony checking in!:)
My hair is actually fine and thin.(but stretching my relaxers has allowed it an opportunity to thicken up).

Although I probably shouldn't, I always get my hair relaxed bone straight, but I do rollersets weekly b/c I like the illusion of fullness it gives. I only get it blow dried and flat ironed RIGHT AFTER my touch up just to gauge the growth, but I don't do hand held blow dryers b/c my strands aren't strong enough to handle all that stress.:mad: