Relaxed/Transitioning.. do u use the Denman brush?

CarLiTa

Do relaxed/transitioning ladies here use the Denman brush?

it's getting to the point where I really don't feel that the detangling comb is enough for my hair.

It could very well be my products (or lack of products) that don't make the detangling process easy AT ALL.
But... i'm nearly 5 months post and giving the transitioning thing a go for real this time:look::)

I don't understand when people say that they detangle in 4 sections... for me, I don't try to do that b/c AFTER I detangle, I have to find a way to recomb my hair and pull it back into a ponytail again.

Anyway, back to the question:
Any relaxed/transitioning ladies use Denman brush to detangle?
Do you believe that it will damage the relaxed hair?

Which Denman brush do you use specifically?

Thank you!

noemi

Yes

No

D3

I don't use it much anymore to detangle. Now that I have a lot of natural hair, its easier for me just to use my Jilbere.

ETA: I don't detangle in 4 sections either. I'm like you, I put it back in a ponytail so I detangle one of each side and then gently comb back to combine them again.

FindingMe

Any relaxed/transitioning ladies use Denman brush to detangle? Yes. I am 8 months post and I also use to blow dry. It grips my roots very tightly so I can use the dryer to straighten.

Do you believe that it will damage the relaxed hair? It hasn't damaged mine so far. I have normal shedding from my transition with or without the brush

Which Denman brush do you use specifically? I guess it's a D4. It has 9 rows...looks like this except all black: http://www.folica.com/DENMAN_Deluxe_S_d604.html , I've had for about 8-9 years now...I had always used for blowdrying until i got on this forum and saw it was great for detangling

Last edited:

pink gator

I do. I'm relaxed.

Not at all. I just make sure I have something on it, like leave-in before I do. I saw my stylist use a D3 on my hair to blowdry and detangle mine and it got closer to my roots than a paddle brush! I was 6 weeks post then.

I was scared at first when I saw her pick it up and detangle my hair. I bought one that same evening and I love it to pieces! I don't lose more shed hair than I did with a comb. I was pleasantly surprised! It also makes blow-drying a snap with shiny, excellent results!

D3...bought from Sally's for $7 and change.

Last edited:

FindingMe

I do. I'm relaxed.

Not at all. I just make sure I have something on it, like leave-in before I do. I saw my stylist use a D3 on my hair to blowdry and detangle mine and it got closer to my roots than a paddle brush! I

was scared at first when I saw her pick it up and detangle my hair. I bought one that same evening and I love it to pieces! I don't lose more shed hair than I did with a comb. I was pleasantly surprised! It also makes blow-drying a snap with shiny, excellent results!

D3...bought from Sally's for $7 and change.

EXACTLY!!! :yep:

bravenewgirl87

Yes, I am transitioning and I recently bought a Denman.
Yes, it can cause breakage.Its kind of tricky to use. I really only like it in the shower, to remove tangles from braids and distribute my conditioners.
I use the D14 brush (the travel brush). I'm not that crazy about it because its so small. I couldn't find a D4 at the store. I might try another, but I am afraid of wasting good money. Personally, I like brushes with the covered ball over the plastic bristles.
Thank you!

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: Carlita, how are you doing, lil Miss?

Soliel185

I work my way up to the denman - detangle under shower with jilbere, comb through sections with k-cutter, and then finally detangle with Denman, and smooth into bun - usually. It really distributes product, so I love using it with my SMB to make sure I get every strand.

So far no problems. It acually exerts less tension on the texlaxed parts b/c they slip through easier.

I believe it's a D4 - I also have the paddle brush...D83 I think.

Thank you![/quote]

Eisani

I work my way up to the denman - detangle under shower with jilbere, comb through sections with k-cutter, and then finally detangle with Denman, and smooth into bun - usually. It really distributes product, so I love using it with my SMB to make sure I get every strand.

So far no problems. It acually exerts less tension on the texlaxed parts b/c they slip through easier.

I believe it's a D4 - I also have the paddle brush...D83 I think.

Thank you!
[/quote]

This is me, to the T. I have the D3 and paddle brush. I also like using it after applying my moisturizer and JBCO. Distributes really well.

SheenaVee

Im transitioning. I have the D3. It doesnt cause breakage but doesnt seem to get through all my tangles anymore as my new growth has gotten thicker. The bristles seem too soft or something. I think I need to get the bigger one now.

sunnydaze

Any relaxed/transitioning ladies use Denman brush to detangle? - Yes - Transitioning - 20 months post.

Do you believe that it will damage the relaxed hair? I think it could if not done correctly. Ripping through the hair in one stroke, using it on damp or dry hair. Like another posted stated, I only use mine on conditioner soaked hair while in the shower rinsing it out.

Which Denman brush do you use specifically? D3

sowhut

I'm not really transitioning but i go about 5 or 6 months before touchups a lot of times.

I use the d3, i havent quite perfected the use of my denman but i am a lot better at it.

i dont detangle in sections either , i smooth into a ponytail.

i detangle with it in the shower and while my hair is soaking wet, sometimes i have to detangle with my fingers first still. im still on the fence about the denman. maybe i need a bigger size.

*KP*

Slightly off topic...I've found that when I am that far post relaxer, applying a DC as a relaxer on dry hair before washing works great to detangle.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i stopped using it for detangling. my hair dosent get as tangles as it used to since i cut off the damaged ends. i dont plan to use it for a while and when i do it will be use for styling(shingling and smoothing hair for buns) i have a d4 and a d14 and i like the d14 better. the d4 has too many rows imo. i might change my mind if i can get my hands on a d31 or something similar.

CarLiTa

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: Carlita, how are you doing, lil Miss?

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)
I'm going to buy me a Denman brush to help with this transitioning business.

Maybe even a K-cutter too... and DEFINITELY better detangling products.

As for how I've been doing... eh not too well.
Overwhelmed with school. Taking 5 classes, including one at another campus + working + being involved in various organizations.

As for my hair, I haven't been caring about or for it at all lately. I have some crappy products that I KNOW don't even go with my hair.
I got a haircut in October after I went to get my hair blowdried and flat-ironed.

I didn't realize that the stylist (who acts like a know-it-all) cut my hair into layers. I don't do layers... as someone who doesn't "do" her hair at the salon, layers just aren't manageable for me. I think right now I'm about APL with shrinkage... but I haven't seen my true length in a month, so I don't know lol. I could be BSL, who knows.

I was also surprised to realize that some of the layers just come down to my shoulder:eek:
I really didn't ask for all that. I knew he was going to cut a good amount, but didn't think there'd be all this restructuring or whatnot.

Anyway, I'm rambling...:lol:
I haven't been taking care of my hair for the last 8 months I'd say:perplexed
which is why i'm BACK in the hair care forum, asking questions and about to purchase products!:yep:

So, thanks again, ladies:)

MissFallon

I bought a denman because of all the hype but for some reason it isn't as great as everyone makes it seem to me. I detangle with it at times but it always feels like it is ripping my hair out and doesn't help the detangling process. I would much rather a wide tooth comb. I usually only use my denman when I don't have anything else to use to detangle. I do use it sometime after I have detangled to distribute product in my hair and to brush it all back.