Relaxer burns

butterfly_wings

I was talking to my friend today and she said she relaxed her hair and burnt hare scalp and has got scabs, she said this always happens and she just puts oil on it.

I haven’t burnt my scalp in years; in fact that’s why I stopped going to salons as they always burnt me and I don’t a better job myself.

I was just wondering what would be the best thing to put on a Relaxer burn.

Kawaii1

I don't know but she is being silly.Why does she have to burn her scalp to straighten? Maybe you should teach her how to apply a relaxer or maybe she should go natural.

sqzbly1908

I was talking to my friend today and she said she relaxed her hair and burnt hare scalp and has got scabs, she said this always happens and she just puts oil on it.

I haven’t burnt my scalp in years; in fact that’s why I stopped going to salons as they always burnt me and I don’t a better job myself.

I was just wondering what would be the best thing to put on a Relaxer burn.

When I used to burn - I would use neosporin

butterfly_wings

She doesn't aim to burn herself, it just happens, I think she leaves it on for too long. I know I've told her but no joy.

Was wondering what was good to soothe burns maybe Aloe Vera gel

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Yikes! :nono: Please, warn her she could damage her scalp permanently doing that. I have a bare patch on my nape that hasn't grown hair in over twenty years. One mistake is all it takes.

meecee

She needs to base her scalp really really well. Maybe add oil to her relaxer to slow down the processing so she can have more application time. If those two things together don't work, she should cut her processing time.

Scalp burns aren't fun.

blackpearl81

good thread...I was being lazy and didn't base before my touch up now I have a couple of burns...:wallbash:..off to get neosporin...

longhairlover

a&d ointment, is she combing and or brushing her hair the day of of a few days before her relaxer? this can make the scalp sensitive and prone to burn, and if she's doing the relaxer herself only the newgrowth not the scalp should be receiving the relaxer product, once she runs the perm through the new growth/smoothing that is the only time the relaxer should possibly hit the scalp because after the smoothing your going to rinse it out anyways = less time on scalp.

and hopefully she's not washing her hair the day before or a few days before her relaxers.

I never burn, and the only times I have is because i've messed up and scratched my hair, played with my hair the day before I relaxed making my scalp more sensitive.

hth

comike

If I happen to get a scalp burn, I'll put aloe vera gel on it. But, to prevent scalp burns from a relaxer, Affirm has a gel-like product call Gentle Assurance that you apply to your scalp prior to relaxing. I never get burns when I use this product no matter how much scratching I've done.

ellebelle88

I went to a new stylist yesterday for the first time in years and I had a horrible experience. Burns everywhere! When she was washing it, I felt like my hair was on fire and even after my deep condition treatment (which I practically had to beg her for), she washed it again and I was in so much pain! I had to ask her if she would neutralize it one more time for me. With my other stylist, that has never happened to me before. I may burn, but it never really scabs. Now my head is so tender to the touch and I can feel the scabs.

When I told my LSes what happened, they were just like, yeah it's gonna burn...like I was being too paranoid. One of my LSes was like, "I always let my burn to get it straight. I'm not gonna pay $50 for nothing."

I was just like, :nono:

Hot40

If I happen to get a scalp burn, I'll put aloe vera gel on it. But, to prevent scalp burns from a relaxer, Affirm has a gel-like product call Gentle Assurance that you apply to your scalp prior to relaxing. I never get burns when I use this product no matter how much scratching I've done.

Where can I get this prodcut?

sqzbly1908

Where can I get this prodcut?

I just bought something similar before I relaxed this past Friday - it's by Motions and it comes in a bottle with a applicator top...this worked out great - no tingling or anything and I had perspired a little bit...

JLOVELY

I always got burns/scabs when I relaxed at a salon; I have fine hair and I believe she would leave it on too long. I am to afraid to relax at home so I wont be relaxing anymore, I'm transitioning now! Burns was one of the reasons that I decided to transition; I kept thinking to myself how healthy could this be if I always have scabs on my scalp (just my opinion ladies).

ellebelle88

I always got burns/scabs when I relaxed at a salon; I have fine hair and I believe she would leave it on too long. I am to afraid to relax at home so I wont be relaxing anymore, I'm transitioning now! Burns was one of the reasons that I decided to transition; I kept thinking to myself how healthy could this be if I always have scabs on my scalp (just my opinion ladies).

Very true. Somehow I am gonna ween myself off of that creamy crack.

butterfly_wings

Thanks ladies, I'll suggest these to her. I have told her about the board but shes not treally intrested - can't be bothered to put the time in lol

panamoni

Very true. Somehow I am gonna ween myself off of that creamy crack.

Sorry that's happened to you guys. It is possible to relax without getting burns/scabs. I beleive it depends on the stylist (you can also help it by not scratching a few days before). Maybe next time get stylist recommendations from people who've used them.