Relaxer Help

MomofThreeBoys

One week from Saturday will put me at the 12th week of my 1st time relax stretch.:yay: I've seen some great instructions on self-relaxing. (Thanks SG! Happy B-Day!) I will be using the PhytoRelaxer and I have a few additional questions:

1) What should I do a week prior and a week post of relaxing. Should I do a hardcore protein treatment prior and post? I currently use Emergencee as my hardcore. Is there anything else I should do one week prior and post?

2) I saw that ARMYQT mentioned using Affirm Protecto on her hair b4 applying the relaxer. Can you explain how you use this? Anyone else who uses this please chime in.Do you use the Affirm Protector to base and then use Proctecto on the length of your hair except the new growth? On the Affirm website it says that it is a conditioner that can be applied to the entire hair before you touch up.:huh: Has anyone used it like this? I've alway used Petroleum on my entire scalp to protect it. Is the Protector better? Should I reconsider? Any other good basing products out there?

3) After using the PHYTO reconstructor, should I do a deep condition (I was thinking of using Kenra or KeraCare) with heat for 20 minutes or should I just do an instant conditioner?

Thanks all!!!

ms_kenesha

1) What should I do a week prior and a week post of relaxing. Should I do a hardcore protein treatment prior and post? I currently use Emergencee as my hardcore. Is there anything else I should do one week prior and post?

I do a mild protein one week before and do my hardcore 3days-1 week afterwards.

2) I saw that ARMYQT mentioned using Affirm Protecto on her hair b4 applying the relaxer. Can you explain how you use this? Anyone else who uses this please chime in.Do you use the Affirm Protector to base and then use Proctecto on the length of your hair except the new growth? On the Affirm website it says that it is a conditioner that can be applied to the entire hair before you touch up. Has anyone used it like this? I've alway used Petroleum on my entire scalp to protect it. Is the Protector better? Should I reconsider? Any other good basing products out there?

The protecto is best used on your previously relaxed hair and not the new growth. Creme of Nature has a basing product in a cream bottle with a nozzle spout and Elucence has the protective barrier balm to base your scalp with.

3) After using the PHYTO reconstructor, should I do a deep condition (I was thinking of using Kenra or KeraCare) with heat for 20 minutes or should I just do an instant conditioner?

I personally did a deep conditioner w/ Tropical Avocado w/o heat for about 30 min.

HTH :)

KAddy

I meant to do a hardcore before, but forgot. I did a hardcore the week after though, Emergencee.

2) I saw that ARMYQT mentioned using Affirm Protecto on her hair b4 applying the relaxer. Can you explain how you use this? Anyone else who uses this please chime in.Do you use the Affirm Protector to base and then use Proctecto on the length of your hair except the new growth? On the Affirm website it says that it is a conditioner that can be applied to the entire hair before you touch up. Has anyone used it like this? I've alway used Petroleum on my entire scalp to protect it. Is the Protector better? Should I reconsider? Any other good basing products out there?

I concur with the recs that Ms_K provided you. I use the pre-balm that comes with the relaxer though.

I mixed the reconstructor with the vital force moisturizing conditioner without heat though. Using your Kenra should be good. I think someone else mentioned they used their Kenra conditioner, but I don't remember if it said with or without heat. Check the thread on phytorelaxer and dryness as it is mentioned there.

Armyqt

Yeah the Protecto is just for the previously relaxed hair. I focus it on my ends so they won't be overprocessed when I'm rinsing the relaxer out of my hair.

After using the Ohyto reconstructor, I would follow up with Kenra to moisturise the hair. :)