Relaxer or Locs?

Junebug D

Totally a hypothetical question... :look:

Let's say you had a pretty moderate scalp problem with flaking, itching, and odor, and you just cannot go longer than 3 days without shampooing.

Would it be better to be relaxed or to be starting locs in this situation?

I don't want to go into detail about the reasons why, but wearing my natural loose hair and trying to grow it is no longer an option for me. I would just cut it off to a TWA and be on my way, but I've cut my hair off 5 times since I've been natural and I would like to try to have long hair for once. :cry:

Relaxers never really did anything negative to my hair, as far as I can remember. (I did not have such severe scalp issues back then either, so my hair was washed very infrequently, like 10 times a year.) And there's a lot of knowledge here and I see plenty of thriving relaxed heads here, so I don't feel like I would destroy my hair or anything. I was very much accustomed to unintentional stretching. :grin: And of course I wouldn't mind new growth or it being a little frizzy, but I am worried about the effects of having to shampoo so frequently with relaxed hair.

How often do relaxed ladies here shampoo, especially 4b types? I guess I am concerned about what happens and how it looks when you don't use heat after shampooing so frequently.

I have the same concern about locs, especially in the starter stage. Will they stay together if I shampoo every 3 days, even in the starter stage? From experience, my twists do not stay together if I wash them. And the frizz is immediately out of control. If I started them with braids or with loc extensions, would they hold up significantly better underneath constant shampooing?

Any thoughts or insight will be greatly appreciated. I won't do anything immediately, as both of these options are pretty much permanent unless I cut it off again, which I do NOT want to do! :cry: Just looking for more outside voices before I decide what to do.

Ivonnovi

Locs, check out Sista Locs. Sista Locs will give you more styling options.

There are several threads on here with reviews on these.

skipper

my sisters has locs and i remember her transition from natrual to locs she didnt wash for quite a looong time.

co washing every 3 days air drying and bunning relaxed hair is not bad at all.

NerdSauce

I actually wouldn't go with loc's, I'm not sure about the washing so frequently when they might take a while to dry, but they're a MUCH better option than relaxers IMHO (unless.. maybe lye relaxers dont have this effect) but when i was relaxed my scalp issues were far worse. Now that I'm natural for the most part it's not an issue.. though washing that often with relaxed hair really isnt a problem at all.

As for what I would do, I would bkt, just trying to avoid adding another variable to what might be wrong with my scalp.

Also, if your scalp is so dry, even though it flakes, ease up on the shampooing. it can create a vicious cycle of dryness and flakyness. No relaxed + less shampooing + frequent washing + never really putting anything on my scalp = a happy one, for me.

silvergirl

IF i HAD to choose . id say relaxer. simply because locs are not for me at all.

however i hope you get a good amount of opinions from relaxed and loced ladies to help you make the best decision for your scalp and hair health :)

harrison

If you have scalp issues.. not sure if chemically processing the hair would be a good option. Just not sure about that.

However, I've had locs. I washed them weekly. You will have to be concerned with product build up that can occur.

Presently, I am texlaxed. I either twist my hair weekly, or leave braids in for 3-4 weeks. Either style, I co-wash daily except on wash day when I use shampoo.

How concerned are you about changing hairstyles? Do you prefer wearing straight styles. That's going to me a major determining factor for you.

BotanyGrl

I would address the scalp problem before I made any decision. If you plan on wearing your hair straight majority of the time... I say go with the relaxer.

Barbie83

I would def go with relaxing. I am 4a (I think) relaxed, and I co-wash and bun like 2 or 3 times a week. My hair loves it and so does my scalp. I think you'll have a LOT more styling options with relaxed hair....

beana

Im sorry you're going thru this!!!

I agree with the posters who suggested bkt (to loosen curl pattern, make hair easier to style etc) and to address the scalp problem first.

I'm 4a relaxed and i believe the majority of my scalp issues come from being relaxed. That chemical could make things worse. I would not get locs because it could expose more scalp and if your problem is visible (flaking etc) that would not be good.

prospurr4

How often do relaxed ladies here shampoo, especially 4b types? I guess I am concerned about what happens and how it looks when you don't use heat after shampooing so frequently.

First off, I'm sorry about your scalp problem and hope you are able to find a solution soon.

My hair type is 4b/c, and I'm texlaxed. I co-wash weekly and shampoo only when there is product buildup, about once/month. I haven't use direct heat in over 3 years. After my weekly co-wash, I have several styling options: 1) put in some individual twists and airdry for a twistout; 2) rollerset on gray (2-1/2") rollers to straighten or 3) rollerset on small (1") rollers for a spiral set.

Regardless of which style I choose, I make it last for 6-8 days, usually by doing a variety of updos throughout the week.

My hair is healthy and longer than it's ever been, Praise God!!

I hope this helps you with your decision.

ETA: Regarding locs, I know a few people who have them, and although they look nice on them, they are definately not for me.

Last edited: