Relaxer pH list, pH of human scalp, burns, & soda drinking.

CatSuga

I read in a magazine (can't remember which one, but trying to find a source online) that you should drink sodas before you relax because they can raise the pH of your scalp.

pH of healthy scalp 4.5-5.5

1. TCB Bone Strait No-Lye Relaxer contains lithium hydroxide: 12.8
2. Revlon Realistic Extra Conditioning Crème Relaxer System contains sodium hydroxide: 13.2
3. Gentle Treatment No-lye Conditioning Crème Relaxer contains lithium hydroxide, guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.0
4. Soft and Beautiful No-lye Conditioning Relaxer Regular contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.1
5. Curl Free Natural Curl Relaxer contains ammonium bisulfite: 7.6
6. Dark & Lovely No-lye Conditioning Relaxer System contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.0
7. Revlon Crème of Nature No-lye Crème Relaxer System contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.1
8. African Pride Miracle Deep Conditioning No-lye Relaxer System contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.3
9. Soft Sheen Alternatives No-lye Relaxer System contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.3
10. Optimum Care No-Lye Relaxer guanidine contains guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide: 13.2
11. Rusk Radical Anti-curl Original Formula 1 contains Ammonium thioglycolate: 9.1
12. Revlon Realistic Crème Relaxer System 1 contains sodium hydroxide: 13.3

The following relaxer pHs were taken from, "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me" by Paula Begoun.

13. At One with Nature Botanical Strongends Sensitive Scalp Relaxer, Regular w/ Herbs and Moisturizers: 14
14. Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings No-mistake No-lye Children's Relaxer System Regular: 13
15. Dark & Lovely Plus Ultra-Deep Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer System: 12
16. Luster's Pink Conditioning Super No-lye Crème Relaxer: 14
17. Raveen No-Lye Conditioning Crème Relaxer with Multiple Conditioners: 14
18. Revlon Crème of Nature No-Lye Crème Relaxer System: 13
19. Revlon Fabulaxer Multiple Conditioning No-lye Relaxer Kit: 13
20. Soft & Beautiful Just for Me No-Lye Conditioning Crème Relaxer, Children's Formula: 14
21. Soft & Beautiful Super No-lye Conditioning
Relaxer: 14
22. TCB Naturals No-Lye Relaxer, Regular with Olive Oil, Aloe and Henna: 14

The manufacturers provided the following relaxer pH’s:

23. Dark & Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Relaxer for Fine Hair: 10.25
24. Phytospecific Index 1 Relaxer for Fine Hair: 9-12
25. Phytospecific Index 2 Relaxer for Coarse Hair: 9-12
26. Lady Velvet Lye Relaxer: 10-13

NOTE: One of the chemists for the Lady Velvet Lye Relaxer indicated that after attending a conference in England for relaxers that no one should use a relaxer with a pH balance of 12.5 or greater.

Isis

Thanks for posting that very interesting chart with relaxer information! :up:

Since sodas or soft drinks are highly acidic, I can't see how it can raise the pH of anything. Perhaps the article said to drink soda as in baking soda and water. That is the most alkaline substance (14.0) and will accelerate one's alkalinity very quickly.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

So it looks like the best thing for our hair would be Curl Free Natural Curl at 7.6, and Rusk Radical Anti-Curl Regular Formula at 9.1??? Has anyone used these two before and if so what were the results??? I would love to know about Vitale Life and Body Regular. Thanks for the list.

LiLi

That's odd ... I was always told that you shouldn't drink sodas before relaxing.

beyondcute

Yea this girl at my school said that whn she drank caffiene before a relaxer it made her scalp burn.... I thought it was hogwash/bullsh!t... This may actually hold some water!

CinnaMocha

CatSuga,

I found the info you posted very interesting! Lord knows I was trying to find Affirm on the list (although it's probably comparable to the many that you have listed). I wonder how much a base really helps during the whole process)??? :confused:

Porsche19

The sodas/fruit juices lower the pH of the scalp and the sebum, which can mess with the way that the relaxer works.

How would I find the pH of the relaxer I use, PCJ lye? Should I just e-mail the company? I love this relaxer, but I will stop using it if it's pH is really high. I noticed that my ends look thin, and that's insane considering how short my hair is.

sereia

beyondcute said:
Yea this girl at my school said that whn she drank caffiene before a relaxer it made her scalp burn.... I thought it was hogwash/bullsh!t... This may actually hold some water!

caffeine stimulates your blood circulation and therefore the scalp becomes more sensitive (maybe open pores/ higher temperature). That is the reason why some advise not to engage in physical activity before a relaxer.

Amarech

All of this info sounds right but some parts just don't seem right.
These websites help clear up the whole pH thing. Mainly I was wondering why my hair would never really get straight. Well it has a lot to do with pH.
You want your scalp to be at a normal pH. Not too acidic( neutralizing effect) or too alkaline (you will burn). see the exerpt below and try the websites. Let me know if you cant get to the link

for more info:
www.angelfire.com/journal/nutrients/relaxer.html

www.skinbiology.com/truthabouthairrelaxers.html

"WHY SOME HAIR WILL NOT RELAX

Basically this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid laden foods (i.e. orange juice, sodas)this can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to 3.5. This means that scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. All of this plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower shaft causing a pre neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contatct with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12-13 with scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair."

Isis

Taij said:
All of this info sounds right but some parts just don't seem right.
These websites help clear up the whole pH thing. Mainly I was wondering why my hair would never really get straight. Well it has a lot to do with pH.
You want your scalp to be at a normal pH. Not too acidic( neutralizing effect) or too alkaline (you will burn). see the exerpt below and try the websites. Let me know if you cant get to the link

for more info:
www.angelfire.com/journal/nutrients/relaxer.html

www.skinbiology.com/truthabouthairrelaxers.html

Quote:
"WHY SOME HAIR WILL NOT RELAX

Basically this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid laden foods (i.e. orange juice, sodas)this can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to 3.5. This means that scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. All of this plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower shaft causing a pre neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contatct with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12-13 with scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair."
This is what I was talking about before - sodas or soft drinks being more acidic and lowering the pH.