Relaxer Stretchers Support Thread

Sha76

Starting Week 12.. Its not so bad right now. Even though the NG is coming in like crazy. I just blow dried and flat ironed the other day to see the progress. But back to routine of washing and air drying in braids. Still many weeks to go. I won't be relaxing until Oct 26th, 2007

prettypuff1

Man i tried my best, but i relaxed at 14 weeks.... good lord. I want to stretch until the end of June, but we shall see. It maybe weave time. i wanted to do the HYHC, but i dont know how to hide my hair besides weaves....

prettypuff1

SweetCaramel1 said:
i'm at week 14 and staying busy is the key for me. i'm gone all day and when i'm at home i'm too tired to fuss with my hair.

i'm gonna try to go until sometime in may. i forget who suggested it but paul mitchell super skinny made my hair really soft. after that i load it up with leave in conditioner, roll or wrap and ignore it for two weeks (besides moisturizing the ends every few days). so far it's working my hair is alot thicker and not shedding as much as usual :)
Seriously off topic, but you and i are in thesame place.PHYSICS HELL

CHECKMATE!

this thread is a god send 4 me:D ...Im about 9wks post and at my wits end with my new growth...:perplexed ...its almost a jungle...which is a good thing,since my ng is usually fine and curly (I think the Mega Women,Biotin,MSM,Silica,Omega 3-6-9 are all starting to do the darn thang;) )...but honestly, I am struggling not to relax,my hair dresser is tired of this new jungle:lol: ...she says "Mami...perm next week ok?...please" and I say ok:lol: ...yeah right...:cool: Im gonna stay "Jungleesha" to wk14;)

Tee

patiencevirtue said:
this thread is a god send 4 me:D ...Im about 9wks post and at my wits end with my new growth...:perplexed ...its almost a jungle...which is a good thing,since my ng is usually fine and curly (I think the Mega Women,Biotin,MSM,Silica,Omega 3-6-9 are all starting to do the darn thang;) )...but honestly, I am struggling not to relax,my hair dresser is tired of this new jungle:lol: ...she says "Mami...perm next week ok?...please" and I say ok:lol: ...yeah right...:cool: Im gonna stay "Jungleesha" to wk14;)

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: And I am going to bed on that note! To Darn funny!

thiccknlong

My best support is to tell you to LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR AND DO NOT STRETCH BEYOND BREAKAGE.

i KNOW my hair wants to tangle and break by week 8. So I usually get a relaxer by then.

Now only, ONLY because I've found a routine and certain products that prevent breakage at that point, I intended to stretch til 10 wks.

And just recently , someone severly overprocessed my hair, so I'll be stretching for 3 mos cause i can't afford ANY overlap and I need enough time in between to allow more of the natural texture to come back into the prev relaxed hair. I'll just continue using the products and the routine that prevents breakage.

Now, if before 12 wks it starts the smallest sign of breakage ? Texturizer/ relaxer, here I come.

The purpose of stretching is for thicker, longer hair.

You don't want thick hair and thin ends :perplexed

Listen to your hair. Only stretch as far as YOU can.

Then next time, try certain products you hear about and see if they can minimize any breakage.

nycutiepie

If you're having shedding/breaking issues during your stretch, please try to get some Shikakai powder and mix it with conditioner. I saw someone on here rave about it and it really stops shedding dead in its tracks. I am 16+ weeks post and I did a prepoo with the Shikakai + Elucence MB and added a little Vatika/Amla/JBCO/Olive Oil to the mix and I hardly lost any hair during my wash.

CaramelPrincezz

nycutiepie said:
If you're having shedding/breaking issues during your stretch, please try to get some Shikakai powder and mix it with conditioner. I saw someone on here rave about it and it really stops shedding dead in its tracks. I am 16+ weeks post and I did a prepoo with the Shikakai + Elucence MB and added a little Vatika/Amla/JBCO/Olive Oil to the mix and I hardly lost any hair during my wash.

where would I find Shikakai powder? I'm closing in on week 15 this Saturday and I've been having some breakage issues.

nycutiepie

CaramelPrincezz said:
where would I find Shikakai powder? I'm closing in on week 15 this Saturday and I've been having some breakage issues.

Caramel - I bought it in an Indian store for $2.79. I think there's a thread about where to purchase Indian products online so you might want to do a search. I'll search too and see if I find it.

keeperathome

Hi Ladies, I am kinda new here and I am on week 14 of a 6 month stretch and its going ok so far.:ohwell: But what I would like to know is what are some of the conditioners you all are using to detangle:perplexed I have like about an inch of NG or more and its really becoming a task to comb through the middle:eek: .Any pointers you could give would be great. Thanks.

prettypuff1

hey ladies.. I am BAACCKK.. lol My 6month stretch ended at week 14... I am back to stretching until June 30th. i have no clue how many weeks post i am.. bout 3 weeks. I want to be APL by June 30th or so

keeperathome

keeperathome said:
Hi Ladies, I am kinda new here and I am on week 14 of a 6 month stretch and its going ok so far.:ohwell: But what I would like to know is what are some of the conditioners you all are using to detangle:perplexed I have like about an inch of NG or more and its really becoming a task to comb through the middle:eek: .Any pointers you could give would be great. Thanks.

Can anyone help me with this I would greatly apperciate it Thanks.

MamaBraidedIt

Well I'm 18 weeks post and I'm giving in!!!!!! I had planned to stretch until June 4th! [what was I thinking]:lachen: I'll be relaxing next week. I've NEVER streched this long before. It was an interesting ride. I got a chance to experience my REAL texture. Oh how fun it is playing with my new growth. :D

Some things I've learned on the way about airdrying, in particular, while stretching.

- It is better for me to airdry in several plaits [6 to 8] than in one big ponytail. I got major matting when airdrying in a ponytail. Plaits work best for me. Then I tie the plaits down with a scarf.

-Using a thick hair lotion/moisturizer AND an oil together[evoo works well on my wet hair or africa's best herbal oil] is key for me when airdrying. The oil really helps to detangle the freshly washed hair.

Last edited:

RosesBlack

Some encouragement ladies. I usually NEVER stretch beyond 8 weeks. I really thought that was my limit. But here I am 2 days shy of almost 12 weeks and my hair is not freaking out, breaking or shedding. I can feel how much growth I am getting.

My big secret lately is that I finger comb through my new growth gently before I detangle. I've also started using a mix of water/con in a little bottle as a detangler and it's working.

I think I'm going to try for next month. :-d

PinkPebbles

Great Thread!

I'm 8 wks post and plan to go for 16 - 18 wks! The longest I've stretched was 12 wks.

The things that helps me in my stretch is doing a pre-poo with Amla oil. A good DC. I wear my hair in a flexirod set therfore I don't have to comb my hair throughout the week.

I'm going to alternate shampooing with Co-washing every other week and see how that works out.

Dijah

I am at week 6. I just decided today to stretch until week 15. I will relax the Saturday before my birthday in June. I found a leave in by aphoghee and elastic qp glaze combo that made my braid out look lovely. Also I wear a lot of scarves.

My normal routine has a balance of protein and moisture that has been very beneficial to my hair.

The only weird thing about my hair is that the msm I have been taking has made it difficult to figure how much ng I have. The texture change from the msm is another reason I am stretching for 15 weeks.

texasgrl

Ok I'm at week 11.:band2: One more week to go!!!:D Then I can update with pics. Bead head Control freak serum is really helping me through it.

Candiss

Today I am exactly 10 weeks. The new growth is outta this world. But I am doing bantu knots all the time and wearing a curly updo during the day. Everytime I wash I have shedding. I guess it's ok because I don't comb my hair at all until wash day. But I have thin hair and I don't like the shedding. So now I have two proteins: Aphogee 2 min and Pantene breakage defense (tube). So between now and week 11 I will protein twice. I can't wait for my touch-up!

KathyMay

I am checking in I am 23 weeks post relaxer but I have in twists that is making it easier. I plan on getting another set in a couple of weeks and stretching until July which will put me at 35 weeks.

sareca

I'm taking my twists out in about a week and a half and I'm dying to relax it then. I said I was going to wait until after my next set of twists are out. At this point I'm 6 months post. I also said I was only going to stretch to 4 months. If I wait another 2 months, I'll be 8 months post and have to use two containers of Phyto at once. :eek: I'm still deciding.

prettypuff1

sareca said:
I'm taking my twists out in about a week and a half and I'm dying to relax it then. I said I was going to wait until after my next set of twists are out. At this point I'm 6 months post. I also said I was only going to stretch to 4 months. If I wait another 2 months, I'll be 8 months post and have to use two containers of Phyto at once. :eek: I'm still deciding.
8 months post.. good lord:eek: :eek:

Naphy

LAdies, I really need your help :whyme: !
Everything was fine with my hair, until today. My hair is fried, weak, and breaks a lot. Is it the time to end the stretch ???? I've already plan to re-do my braids this week, but with hair like this, I really dunno what to do...
What are your suggestions ???

amwcah

Naphy said:
Everything was fine with my hair, until today. My hair is fried, weak, and breaks a lot. Is it the time to end the stretch ???? I've already plan to re-do my braids this week, but with hair like this, I really dunno what to do...
Hi Naph~Sorry about your hair. Well, let's rule out rebraiding at this point. Right now you must stop the breakage. I just used Motions CPR, however, I have read a thread on a product by Pantene that some other ladies say works really well.

Bumping for more responses for Naph.

Dijah

Naphy said:

For me the sign that I need to end my stretch is breakage. I would not put braids in. I would do emergencee and moisture. To prepare for a touch up.

Last edited:

Naphy

I think it is time for a touch up..... 12 weeks were my maximum I suppose.
Ermegencee does not exist in France, so I have no idea of which heavy protein treatment I'm going to use...