Relaxers: Hair Today, Tumors Tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeko43

Some of you doth protest too much. If you are secure in using relaxers, you don't need to be upset over an article about possible effects of relaxers or lash out in an attempt to defend. I seriously don't see this as a naturals vs. relaxers situation.

Raspberry

Well I think some relaxed heads get sensitive to the underlying sentiment in these articles that no one should relax their hair ever again, when what is really needed is for these companies to improve their products and change formulations to ingredients that don't effect hormones... Hard for me to believe that it's sodium hydroxide alone doing all this, but I'm no scientist.

Last edited:

HighAspirations

The things we do for beauty *sigh* I think people put way to much emphasis on things that will harm us, if we keep worrying we"ll never have any fun! White people still tan even though we all know it gives you skin cancer so *shrug* imma keep relaxing lol Beauty is PAIN! I just wish we'd stop beating a dead horse :deadhorse: we all know relaxers aren't good for you but then again...what is? BKT was suppose to be all natural

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Noted and informed. But there are many without relaxers who end up with tumors. Seems to me, with the number of folks being diagnosed with tumors, relaxers are not the problem.

Girl, I wish I knew. I'm old, so it doesn't bother me. However, I can tell from my PMs some of the newbie relaxed heads feel some kind of way about it and are hesitant to post sometimes.

:look: sunnieb really? Please tell them to post!

hair4romheaven

It has more to do with the foods, fruits, veggies, water, etc being sold in our area. If applied correctly no harm should take place from a relaxer. It shouldn't be applied to scalp anyway, just the hair. I would love to see them study yt women with bleached, relaxed etc hair as well.

My Friend

Research says, it's the Lye that's a hormone disruptor. Along with the frequency (4-6 weeks) that relaxers are used, maybe there is a link :look:?

So if you put Lye in anything at that ph, it could cause the same problem right?

I'm still confused about the hate/anger towards the OP and not to the manufactors, if in fact this could be a problem. Does this not prompt an investigation like they did the Brazillian Blowout and possible lawsuits?

Last edited:

sunnieb

reeko43 said:
Some of you doth protest too much. If you are secure in using relaxers, you don't need to be upset over an article about possible effects of relaxers or lash out in an attempt to defend. I seriously don't see this as a naturals vs. relaxers situation.

I was waiting for someone to post this.

Yes, we are very secure in our decision to relax. The OP posted and we've responded.

Maybe some naturals aren't secure in THEIR decision to be natural. Could that be why naturals keep starting these types of threads?

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

JudithO

Every single time I see a relaxer danger thread... I just SMH because I know some relaxed heads will come out all sensitive.

ALL CHEMICALS FORMULATIONS potentially have risks.... be it color, relaxers, body lotion, anything....

Please stop getting sensitive, read the article, and if you have no cause for concern, keep it moving.

I'll say it again, if I see any worthwhile article concerning the dangers of anything we put on our bodies or hair, y'all can hate me all you want, but I shall post it.

About the article: No comments.... not enough information... nothing different that we have heard before. Raspberry I agree with you.... Is it sodium hydroxide causing all these problems? Because that's the only unique ingredient in relaxers...

Relaxers = Hair conditioner + Sodium Hydroxide

So unless it's the Sodium hydroxide causing the problems, no cause for concerns relating to relaxers (or same concern as deep conditioners or products that we put on our bodies).... Of course.... PLEASE READ ALL YOUR LABELS for EVERYTHING you put on your body or in your mouth and make informed decisions.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
The sentiment towards the OP in part has to due to a very similar thread posted last week that went the same way.
There seems to be an unfortunate and inaccurate assumption that relaxed heads are ignorant and have low self esteem. This is not true. The same way we all find this board and research ingredients, products and techniques ad nauseum I'm sure the choice to continue to relax is an informed one among us.
It is simply a choice among evils...we eat things , use cleaning agents, use air fresheners, etc that are not good for us. I for one use relaxes and have every intention to continue to do so...but I make a conscious effort to reduce my level of toxicity in other areas of my life.
I don't think the OP intended to offend but there is a definite sentiment on this board that keeps relaxed ladies from feeling as free to participate.

reeko43

I was waiting for someone to post this.

Yes, we are very secure in our decision to relax. The OP posted and we've responded.

Maybe some naturals aren't secure in THEIR decision to be natural. Could that be why naturals keep starting these types of threads?

Having been on both sides of the coin, I couldn't agree with you more. However, show your security. I am not sure my hair looks better than naturals or getting angry at OP for this post is the way to do it. It makes those who posted like that look defensive and insecure. I was a proud relaxer. The only reason why I stopped is because my hair is thinning (not because of relaxers). If that weren't the case, it is possible that I would still be relaxed and could give a flip what anyone posts.

As long as someone does not post a direct attack, I am not going to assume things apply to me. If someone posts an article about the health risks of products used primarily by naturals why should I get offended. I would take note of the info and k.i.m.

I think more should post about their positive relaxing experiences which will show that although there are risks with everything, that study definitely has flaws.

reeko43

I don't think the OP intended to offend but there is a definite sentiment on this board that keeps relaxed ladies from feeling as free to participate.

Relaxed women pay to participate on this board just as naturals do. Maybe there would be a less biased sentiment if more relaxed women participated. I will be darned if I let someone make me feel intimidated just because they decided to choose a different route for hair care. :nono:

mg1979

It seems like when these threads get posted people project what others have said to them, assuming the OP feels the same way or that any talk about relaxer dangers has an underlying sentiment.

Oh come on. Let's not go all relax people bashing. Try saying something negative about natural hair and let's see what type of reaction you get.

Anyway, there are truths to what was posted. People just have to take or leave the information. Very few people will get adverse reaction to relaxing but those who do should be informed when symptoms present themselves.

Thanks for proving my point! I made an observation that people get upset if you say anything negative about relaxers, and you took that as "relax people bashing"! I don't understand why people take it personally. The issue is the product, not the hair and not the person. So yeah, you will get a different response when someone says something about natural hair if you are talking about the person or the hair. To me that's not the same.

I think that's partly the point. "we" are constantly being picked on for using chemical straighteners when many other races use them as well. Gets kind of annoying, ya know? Maybe op can post this article on other message boards as well to make sure the word gets out to everyone. :yep:

This is my point: why do you take it as someone picking on you or black women for getting chemical straighteners? And why would the OP go post this in another thread now that she's gotten attacked here for doing no more than posting a link?

sunnieb

:lol:

I really wish I talk to y'all in person. We could hash this out and be done in 2 minutes! :yep:

We are not being "sensitive". We are expressing opinions. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we're sensitive.

I'm probably one of the most secure relaxed heads on here who posts. Check out my siggy and the relaxed sticky thread.

I've let alot of these threads slide over the years, but no more.

Allandra

Wow that's crazy!

Thanks for posting OP. Knowledge is power. Its not about relax heads vs naturals its about making a well informed decision and knowing the pros and cons on all the things we put on our bodies. The FDA obviously doesn't care about black women or our health.
@BostonMaria

I couldn't agree with you more.

I used to work for a black scientist (chemist) years ago. We used to talk about this all the time. If black scientists could get funding for this type of research, it would be a wonderful thing. There doesn't seem to be enough interest in this topic for such proposals to be funded (quite sad imo).

Allandra

There's no need in jumping on the OP. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her posting this link on the forum. It doesn't mean she or anyone else is bashing relaxers. Heck, I used to be relaxed, and I would never bash anyone getting / wanting a relaxer.

If one doesn't agree with the link, that's fine. If one does agree with the link, that's fine too.

Please don't come in here bashing because this thread isn't about bashing relaxed heads, natural heads or any one.

Last edited:

Raspberry

Research says, it's the Lye that's a hormone disruptor. Along with the frequency (4-6 weeks) that relaxers are used, maybe there is a link :look:?

What I gleaned from the abstract posted above is that women who relax have higher risk of fibroid tumors than those who never relax. It also states that higher frequency of relaxing increases the risks - definitely an incentive to stretch.

My main confusion has to do with interpreting the numbers, I just want straight up percentages. Even the term "confidence interval" makes my eyes glaze over.. I hated college statistics. Maybe someone can help with this?

• From 1997 to 2009, 23,580 premenopausal women were followed
  • 7,146 cases of uterine leiomyomata were reported

• The incidence rate ratio comparing ever with never use of relaxers was 1.17 (so if it's not twice as likely I gather this may mean something like risk increases by 15-20%?)
Among long-term users (≥10 years): (I'm fuzzy on the data below though it's obvious frequency of relaxing matters)

the incidence rate ratios for frequency of use categories 3–4, 5–6, and ≥7 versus 1–2 times/year were 1.04 (95% CI: 0.92, 1.19), 1.12 (95% CI: 0.99, 1.27), and 1.15 (95% CI: 1.01, 1.31), respectively (Ptrend = 0.002).

• Risk was unrelated to age at first use or type of formulation.

Does this not prompt an investigation like they did the Brazillian Blowout and possible lawsuits?

I agree - maybe if we call these companies racist they'll make a move :look:

Someone should sue, probably won't be me lol, but yea.. gotta make some noise to get change to happen.

Allandra

:lol:

I really wish I talk to y'all in person. We could hash this out and be done in 2 minutes! :yep:

We are not being "sensitive". We are expressing opinions. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we're sensitive.

I'm probably one of the most secure relaxed heads on here who posts. Check out my siggy and the relaxed sticky thread.

I've let alot of these threads slide over the years, but no more.

It's fine to agree to disagree, but we're not trying to start any type of riot or whatnot in this thread. This is a forum, and we're all here to express our views.

sunnieb

Lmao I can't believe ppl are really in their feelings about OP posting this. That is hilarious.

It's a forum, so everytime somebody posts is considered having feelings, wouldn't you think? I really don't get where we are being sensitive or getting on the OP.

DayStar, Allandra, Raspberry, BostonMaria, Nix08

You ladies are making some excellent points. See, I would really love the next relaxer danger thread to focus on the lack of research. Tell us how we can get an extensive research study done and published. Who do we contact?

For instance, I would really like to see scalp test results of a black woman who has never relaxed or colored her hair vs a black woman who has been relaxed for 25+ years. That would be an interesting read.

sunnieb

It's fine to agree to disagree, but we're not trying to start any type of riot or whatnot in this thread. This is a forum, and we're all here to express our views.

Duly noted. I'm not trying to start anything, just commenting and expressing my views.

Allandra

Originally Posted by niqu92
if relaxers really did effect reproductive health then we would see a drastic reduction in the number of black chicks being able to have babies cause most get their touchups every 4wks lol.

but uhhm yeah ima keep relaxing my relaxed hair looks better then 90% of the naturals i see on a day to day basis anyway............:look:

Wow niqu92 Was this even necessary?

Allandra

It's a forum, so everytime somebody posts is considered having feelings, wouldn't you think? I really don't get where we are being sensitive or getting on the OP.

@DayStar, @Allandra, @Raspberry, @BostonMaria, @Nix08

You ladies are making some excellent points. See, I would really love the next relaxer danger thread to focus on the lack of research. Tell us how we can get an extensive research study done and published. Who do we contact?

For instance, I would really like to see scalp test results of a black woman who has never relaxed or colored her hair vs a black woman who has been relaxed for 25+ years. That would be an interesting read.
Well, first, we would have to get the government to care. From what I've seen, this is the main problem. It's a shame.

Raspberry

I think that's partly the point. "we" are constantly being picked on for using chemical straighteners when many other races use them as well. Gets kind of annoying, ya know? Maybe op can post this article on other message boards as well to make sure the word gets out to everyone. :yep:

I hear what @gabulldawg is saying here. It is true that other races relax their hair though they tend to use milder relaxers with the main ingredient being thioglycolic acid, not sodium hydroxide. I have no idea whether that chemical is actually safer or not.

With few exceptions these articles are written by black women, most of whom are newly natural. My main issue with the slant of these articles is that they set up relaxing as an incredibly awful practice that doubles as a form of cultural slavery (won't be accepted, can't get a man, can't get a job without a relaxer) without much balance. The authors are rarely interested in exploring options for relaxer product improvement or even contacting the companies in question (kind of strange that you never hear of anyone actually contacting these corporations for comments).

The discussion tends to end at the idea that black women should never relax while people dissect feelings and offense about this sentiment ad nauseum. But all I want is better relaxer :look:

Allandra

if relaxers really did effect reproductive health then we would see a drastic reduction in the number of black chicks being able to have babies cause most get their touchups every 4wks lol.

but uhhm yeah ima keep relaxing my relaxed hair looks better then 90% of the naturals i see on a day to day basis anyway............:look:

Hun, there are a drastic number of black women that aren't able to have their own children. Maybe some just don't see them because a lot of them are adopting, becoming foster parents or just raising someone else's children.

I don't know about the touch ups every four weeks though because when I was relaxed, I definitely didn't get them that often.

LadyRaider

Why do y'all keep posting this kind of nonsense anyway? Are y'all just trying to get people irritated?

OP, the attitudes should be towards YOU. The Author didn't post it on LHCF.

This made me raff!

Still, I believe the OP posted it in the spirit of, "Check this out." :yep::yep:

Last edited:

niqu92

Originally Posted by niqu92

Wow @niqu92 Was this even necessary?

i mean im just saying...a lot of natural heads i see on my campus dont look all that. it usually looks extremely dry and wispy but girls throw a headband on and think its cute.same with relaxed heads i see on campus. and i cant even count how many times ive had naturals come up to me saying my hair was pretty blahblah and when i tell them im relaxed they have the nerve to give me the "relaxed hair is bad" speech:rolleyes: lol.
ill stop relaxing when i see real hardcore evidence, not just "theories", that i can have reproductive health problems tht are caused by relaxers. i mean sheeiit everyone knows its been PROVEN (not theorized) that mcdonalds is horrible for your health but ppl continue to eat it anyway lol so um yeah i'll stick with relaxing and keep whipping my "unhealthy chemically altered hair" in heaux faces lol

Status
Not open for further replies.