Relaxing and protien treatments

DangerouslyShy

Is it better to do a protien treatment before you get a relaxer? or afterwards?

Im taking out my sew in now because I am getting my hair texturized on Wednesday....so I just wanted my hair to rest for a few days....

should i do a protien treatment tonight? for wednesday?

hairmaster

protein treatments work best after a relaxer, do to the chemicals remove protein while braking down the hair. why wast the protein?

senimoni

I'm curious about this as well. I would think you would want to use it before too....so the hair is less likely to be damaged.

BTW- Do you still wear your lace front??

DangerouslyShy

senimoni said:
I'm curious about this as well. I would think you would want to use it before too....so the hair is less likely to be damaged.

BTW- Do you still wear your lace front??

No the hair they used to make that lace front is so horrible...its hard...and brittle...

I ordered a new one hope it comes soon...I willdefinately post pics when i get it

I was thinking i should do it before also....

Leslie_C

I think to be on the safe side its best to do both. The wash before a relaxer to me would build up the hair's strength to counteract the relaxers breaking it down. Then a week or two after a relaxer will treat or prevent any damage.

The only exception for me is if Ive stretched my relaxer for a long time like this time (going on 5 months!) and have a ton of new growth. In that case my hair really only needs moisture because if I put protein in it, It will make it a hard/brittle/ tangled mess which is a recipe for breakage with my minifro. So Ive only been using mild protein lately like Aubrey Organics GPB. Ill do a major one a week or two after my relaxer. JMHO.

DangerouslyShy

Leslie_C said:
I think to be on the safe side its best to do both. The wash before a relaxer to me would build up the hair's strength to counteract the relaxers breaking it down. Then a week or two after a relaxer will treat or prevent any damage.

The only exception for me is if Ive stretched my relaxer for a long time like this time (going on 5 months!) and have a ton of new growth. In that case my hair really only needs moisture because if I put protein in it, It will make it a hard/brittle/ tangled mess which is a recipe for breakage with my minifro. So Ive only been using mild protein lately like Aubrey Organics GPB. Ill do a major one a week or two after my relaxer. JMHO.
yea i dont think im going to do it before...because i have a big nappy mess on my head right now...I just need to detangle and wash and condition it

angellazette

Is there a reason to wait a week later to do a protein treatment? What about doing one right after the neutralizing? I think I may have asked this before....

senimoni

DangerouslyShy said:
No the hair they used to make that lace front is so horrible...its hard...and brittle...

I ordered a new one hope it comes soon...I willdefinately post pics when i get it

I was thinking i should do it before also....

Thats too bad it looked really good in the pics...I forgot it was you..b/c it doesn't really look like your pic here. You are one of those people who have Different looks all the time.

star

I do my heavy protien one week before to strengthen my hair especially since it is colored. Then during the relaxer my hairdresser uses Affirm and one of the steps is to use the Affirm medium protien conditioner(5 in 1 reconstructor) after the relaxer is rinsed out for about 5 minutes then the neutrizeler shamppo to follow. I would say since you are taking you hair out I would do before heavy protein before the perm and maybe light to medium afterwards too. :lol: