Relaxing our hair ourself

Mitre

Knowledge is power ladies. Why should we subject ourself to the mercy of a hair stylist every time we want a touch up. Why not try and teach ourself how to touch up our hair for ourselves. on the ezboard relaxed hair forum they did a thread on how to relax one hair inaddition to that I have been reading up on this process. If anyone here does they own hair please post as well

HotCoCoGurl130

I have been doing my own relaxers for years. I dont trust hairdressers with something that important. I hate to see them slap it on our heads without out any concern for the over lapping. This makes me sick.

jainygirl

Been doing my own touch ups since the great "burning/scarecut of Nov 2000". Its a real shame that so many beauticians dont know a damn thing about hair. Imagine if other people in specialty fields didnt know what the hell they were doing at the same rate that half of these beauticians run around????? They would have some kinds of safeguards in place regulating whatever industry that would happen to be. But no......i see ALOT of them running around like Pink in Grease "Beauty School Dropouts" It's a shame when laypeople dont trust the "professionals" it's like going to the mechanic----i absolutely dread it.

LuLu

Ever since I was younger and I went to a beauty shop with my mom, and that lady left me in the chair with the relaxer in to tend to someone else's hair...I only trust myself...but even though we pay them....they can't possibly care as much about the health of our hair as we do.... Besides...my hair likes me better

LABETT

This is the one hair thing I wish I could do.
I have thought about it several times and chicken out afraid
I would mess my hair up.

Mitre

Please ladies let us do research on how to relax our hair. To all the LADIES who relax their own hair please post on how you avoid overlapping, overprocessing and underprocessing your hair. I did a touch up on the 18th of august and I would like to get a touch up in january however I want to do it myself. I seem to have a problem with stylist. he last hair stlyist I went to I explain to her I donot want the previous relaxed hair relaxed she said I was out of order to tell her what to do and she was the one who went to beauty school ... anyway I told that #$&**( I would be right back I need to buy water... I went to another stylist I told her what i wanted she did not look please but still did my hair. However she overlapped alot and left the relaxer in my hair for 40 minutes since there was only one sink and another hairdresser was washing someone hair. My hair did not break but was thin I spend alot of time to make it full again and refuse to let someone @#$& it up again. My hair tend to break more easily than before I guese because of the constant overlapping etc I have to be extra gently. For this reason I want to learn how to perm my own hair.

karezone

40 minutes you are lucky to still have hair and that other stylist was way out of line last time I checked you were the one paying her. One thing that you can do is call the Board of Cosmetology in the state where you got your hair done and report them.

This is the method from Ezboard that a very popular and knowledgeable member posted as to how she did her own relaxer using Motions. I try to follow her method as closely as possible but outside of the Motions products, I substitute the products that I use into the process.

Trekee method of hair relaxing

Dyzne

I completely understand. And for some (like me) its not always cost effective to got to a hairdresser on a regular basis. So what is the answer especially for those of us (like me) that has tried Affirm and like it, and of course the only ones that can apply it is the hairdresser. The ones that don't care or don't know what they are doing. I was thinking that I should just maintain it myself by using the next best thing: Revlon Realistic Extra Conditioning Creme Relaxer (Mild). Where do we go for help the internet or is this one of those trial and errors.
http://www.naani.com/how_to_properly_relax_hair.htm
http://www.geocities.com/karezone/relaxer.html

Thanks for the subject: it was definitely on my mind.

Just this morning, my boss stated that for the last three weeks she could not figure out why her hair was falling out. Do you know her stylist neglected to neutralize after rinsing the texturizer.
I don't think I have ever heard anything like this before. But apparently they redesigned the neutralizer bottle to look exactly like the texturizer creme bottle. So he reached for the texturizer again to neutralize. This is one reason why I am so glad I self-relax. Some of my tips are as follows:

Tips:
--Do not scratch, exercise (avoid sweating), or wet/shampoo the scalp for at least 48 hours prior to relaxing.
--SUPERbase the scalp, neck, forehead, ears and HAIRLINE, with petroleum.
--Also base or protect the hair that has already been relaxed with petroleum. Literally take small sections, find the line of demarcation and base the strands below the line.

Tools:
--Purchase an applicator bottle and apply the relaxer with this as opposed to a tint brush. This is an excellent tool ladies. You basically squeeze the creme onto your hair as you would squeeze mustard onto a hotdog. You have incredible control with this tool and with practice can really avoid overlapping.
--Purchase a neck mirror. This mirror has an attachment that allows the mirror to hang around your neck in front of you. So all you need is a neck mirror hanging in front of you and a mirror standing behind you. I will try to post where you can find this online.
--Purchase a portable timer. Please do not attempt to relax without this.

Technique:
--This weekend I attempted for the first time the half-and-half method of relaxing. I based my entire head. I then parted my hair down the middle and relaxed the left side of my head only. (I placed a shower cap on the right side of my head and secured the cap with bobby pins so it would not slip off.) (Also, I thoroughly based the middle part, I mean I really slathered on the base to create a sort of "wall" between the two halves.) I proceeded to relax the left side and to my surprise, only working with one side and using the applicator bottle allowed me time to apply the creme and smooth twice. I did all this in 15 minutes. I rinsed, neutralized, etc. And yes, even though the right side was covered, water did seep in. SO I WAITED 48 HOURS and relaxed the right side. (It did feel kind of weird having one side puffy and greasy while the other side was freshly relaxed, but . . . The results were excellent. I believe this is the best application I have done in all the times I have relaxed my hair.

perfect peace

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
This is the method from Ezboard that a very popular and knowledgeable member posted as to how she did her own relaxer using Motions. I try to follow her method as closely as possible but outside of the Motions products, I substitute the products that I use into the process.

Trekee method of hair relaxing

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooh!
Such a good thread. I'm fixing to do my very first self-touch up in a few weeks, and I need all the tips I can get.

Karezone, I'm PMing you for the link to this EZ board you've referenced.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
Re: Advice me on what to do

I am a proponet of self-relaxing as mentioned by umsummayah in the link provided by Karezone but I called up my hairdresser because I have more than 6months worth of new growth which I thought I couldn't handle on my own.
This thread got me thinking about going back to my old ways and doing it myself but I don't know how to call her and cancel the appointment.
What should I do?