Remedy to Eliminate Protein Overload?

Blessed_Angel

My hair HATES protein. It is just too easy to get protein overload. Just one application of a light protein can take me overboard. :wallbash:

I finally got my moisture level back. How did I do it?...I got a relaxer! I know that a relaxer strips the hair of it's protein; and that was exactly what my hair needed. My hair was feeling kinda hard and lifeless. I knew it was time to relax...besides I had patiently waited 6 weeks. But this time I protected my hair with conditioner and Miss Jessie's Buttercreme since it has petrolatum and mineral oil in it.

My hair came out soo soft and luscious. This is the best my relaxer has came out in a long time. In the meantime, I've taken I believe it was Supergirl's advice of adding protein to the hair BEFORE washing. That is the best way to keep my hair from getting protein overload.

I hope this info can help someone, so that they don't have to learn the hard way; as I did. I wish I knew this months ago...it would saved me a lot of breakage and heartache. :yep:

Irresistible

Nothing can ruin some hair like too much protein, I dont think for many of us the answer would be a relaxer, but we do need to have a good answer for those of us that wouldnt relax
ETA I'm glad your hair is doing better and your so happy with it now! :yep:

MA2010

Great post for me. After my crazy ORS mistake I needed moisture in my life. I'm still stretching but I think my relaxer in two weeks will help out more!!!!

THANKS!

Blessed_Angel

Nothing can ruin some hair like too much protein, I dont think for many of us the answer would be a relaxer, but we do need to have a good answer for those of us that wouldnt relax
ETA I'm glad your hair is doing better and your so happy with it now! :yep:

I know...sorry, but I didn't think about naturals. I got caught up in my relaxed world. :lachen:But if I was natural, would I even need to add protein to my hair? What would strip the hair of protein?

Blessed_Angel

Great post for me. After my crazy ORS mistake I needed moisture in my life. I'm still stretching but I think my relaxer in two weeks will help out more!!!!

THANKS!

No prob. Yeah, I can't believe how hard it is to get moisture back. I tried everything...except an oil rinse. :lachen:

Irresistible

I know...sorry, but I didn't think about naturals. I got caught up in my relaxed world. :lachen:But if I was natural, would I even need to add protein to my hair? What would strip the hair of protein?

yeah we stil need some too, it makes a difference for many naturals to have some in our regimen

I dont know the answer, but we need a good one for when/if this happens

Neith

This is actually a brilliant idea!

NOT for naturals of course!

but... if you overload on protein badly and your last relaxer was 6 or more weeks ago, instead of waiting it out for more time, relax sooner.

It'd be an instant improvement instead of waiting it out.

It takes a while to get it back to normal with moisturizing and dcing. Combined with the added difficulty of a bunch of newgrowth... yikes!

Blessed_Angel

yeah we stil need some too, it makes a difference for many naturals to have some in our regimen

I dont know the answer, but we need a good one for when/if this happens

I wonder if swimming or chelating may strip it? I'll have to look into that. Hopefully some ladies can chime in and drop some knowlege. :grin:

Thanks Irresistible.

Neith

It's a shot in the dark, but I think maybe a baking soda treatment or Coconut Milk and lime treatment might help naturals.

Last edited:

Blessed_Angel

This is actually a brilliant idea!

NOT for naturals of course!

but... if you overload on protein badly and your last relaxer was 6 or more weeks ago, instead of waiting it out for more time, relax sooner.

It'd be an instant improvement instead of waiting it out.

It takes a while to get it back to normal with moisturizing and dcing. Combined with the added difficulty of a bunch of newgrowth... yikes!

Thanks. Yeah, this changed it all. And it had been weeks, and I couldn't get it back. Alter Ego's Rebalancing Cream helped me get it back months ago, but NOTHING worked this time. :nono:

I even thought about stretching for another 2 weeks to "baby" my hair some more, but I realized that I was doing my hair a disservice. And it was breaking terribly. I am glad that I listened to myself.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

My hair HATES protein. It is just too easy to get protein overload. Just one application of a light protein can take me overboard. :wallbash:

I finally got my moisture level back. How did I do it?...I got a relaxer! I know that a relaxer strips the hair of it's protein; and that was exactly what my hair needed. My hair was feeling kinda hard and lifeless. I knew it was time to relax...besides I had patiently waited 6 weeks. But this time I protected my hair with conditioner and Miss Jessie's Buttercreme since it has petrolatum and mineral oil in it.

My hair came out soo soft and luscious. This is the best my relaxer has came out in a long time. In the meantime, I've taken I believe it was Supergirl's advice of adding protein to the hair BEFORE washing. That is the best way to keep my hair from getting protein overload.

I hope this info can help someone, so that they don't have to learn the hard way; as I did. I wish I knew this months ago...it would saved me a lot of breakage and heartache. :yep:

Wow thanks for sharing that tip. It makes PERFECT sense. I will try my 2 min Aphogee like this today.

I am sorry that the protein overload happened to you- my hair acts funky w/ too much protein as well.

Also, how you used your touch up to restore your balance, that' some smart thinking right there- I am sure it will help someone. So glad that your breakage is now under control.

Blessed_Angel

Wow thanks for sharing that tip. It makes PERFECT sense. I will try my 2 min Aphogee like this today.

I am sorry that the protein overload happened to you- my hair acts funky w/ too much protein as well.

Also, how you used your touch up to restore your balance, that' some smart thinking right there- I am sure it will help someone. So glad that your breakage is now under control.

I know right, at first, I was like, huh? But then it hit me, cause the hair will be "protected" by the already moisture in the hair. It's always a losing battle for me to do even a light protein after pooing. :wallbash:

Thank you. I'm glad too. :yay: