Remember when box braids were hot?

longhairlover

I'm sitting here watching old episodes of one of my fave shows the steve harvey show, and so many of the cast members, extras etc wore box braids and I actually miss those days of box braids, afros and women with more natural looking styles.

sometimes I get tired of all the straight styles even though i'm a victim of it too :(

I mean the huge box braids, like the ladies said in here, the Janet Jackson, Patra braids, poetic justice style.

At victoria's secret today the cashier had the loveliest set of extension twists it just looked so pretty.

now everything is lacefront and weaves, don't get me wrong I love how nice weaves look (i've never had one) and I am guilty of playing with fake hair at the bss's lol!

Just some thoughts I wanted to share with my old butt :lachen:

Last edited:

Truth

:lachen: ..I still see some people with the long box braids :look:..and I mean the Janet jackson poetic justice braids :lachen: .. I remember I couldn't WAIT to get my box braids...bugged mommie to find someone who could do them...after that I was sold on the braids with extensions.. me and sew ins never got along tho..:ohwell:

longhairlover

I had those janet jackson braids too, wasted my grandmothers money took them out in a week, in h.s. they were making fun of me in spanish saying "horse pelo" lmao!!!!! and those were my friends! knowing damn well everyone in school had the same style.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Ohhh how I loved my box braids. I had the Smokey (Jada Pinkett Set It Off) asymmetrical style. I looooved them so much.

BronzyBella

I love box braids! The last time I had them (in high school), they took less than 4 hours to put in. The only reason I don't rock them is because they cost almost as much as regular-sized braids (where I live) and no one where I live really rocks them.

BronzyBella

I had those janet jackson braids too, wasted my grandmothers money took them out in a week, in h.s. they were making fun of me in spanish saying "horse pelo" lmao!!!!! and those were my friends! knowing damn well everyone in school had the same style.

LOL. I went to an all-white school in junior high and one of my braids/extensions actually came out once. My aunt had done them but either she didn't do them tight enough or I left them in too long. It was pretty embarassing. Not too many people saw it though.

longhairlover

lmao on the braid falling out, I was sooo mad that day in school, and I went to school with a bunch of minorities lmao :lachen:they were just messing with me, but those things were heavy as hell too,

my mother was like "they jealous" i'm like "they have the same damn style" lmao :lachen::lachen:

LOL. I went to an all-white school in junior high and one of my braids/extensions actually came out once. My aunt had done them but either she didn't do them tight enough or I left them in too long. It was pretty embarassing. Not too many people saw it though.

SelahOco

I had some in when I was like 14. I went to the mall and this guy said "Hey Janet...it's me Tupac." :lachen: Jerk

Oh her style in the upper right hand corner. Lawd....I was in love w/ that.

SouthernBeauty

Man I use to love the box braids! I always wore my in the chin length... I actually thought about getting them again!! :hide:

longhairlover

lmao at the hiding. you should do it, we should bring them back hardcore.......that's the way love goes - janet j lmao!

Harina

I still think they are hot. Actually, I think they're gorgeous. One of my favorite styles. Don't know why they get ragged on so much.

longhairlover

true I hate when styles become unpopular because celebs are not wearing them, those braids helped alot of women grow hair especially since they were larger sized instead of micros.

Duchesse

Uh oh! They are not hot anymore!? (I still think I look cute) I have some in my head right now. Are we talking individuals or Patra style braids here?

Jozze

Wow what a timely post OP!:grin: I've just installed some HL braid/twist extensions for the 2010 Braid Challenge. It's been many years since I've rocked any kind of braids...dang maybe 1995 - I know I know I'm getting kinda old!:blush: Anyway, it's been so long that I had to relearn how to do them!:lachen:
I actually think they are better than a wig or weave because you have constant and easy access to your hair and scalp. Also, one doesn't have to worry about blending or tracks showing when the wind blows. I have so many more style options. The Kanekalon fiber is so cheap which is a bonus so I can experiment with colours, textures and styles without it breaking the bank!

B3e

Box braids are so convenient. I don't think I've ever considered what's in or out as far as hair goes because I go to and have always been in a predominately white school. I just do what's easy.

I always braid mine small without them being so small they become micros so I don't think too much of it. Great way to rest your hair! Looking at how monstrous Janet's are in size...if that's a box braid, I don't think I've ever had box braids...just chubby micros. :spinning:

I actually just installed some this week, :look: I'm looking forward to a break from biweekly cornrowing and the stress of LFs

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I'm doing a personal box braids challenge :yep: I keep my youngest daughter's hair in box braids and she's almost WL so I got the bright idea that if they work on her then I can make them work for myself (grown folk style :lol: ) :scratchch ......also being hugely preggo (due in March) is helping my desire for a low maintenance protective style. :yep:

ycj1

Box braids are the only ones I will put in my hair. I really don't see how women can wear the micros, they have got to be h... to take out! I just don't have the patience for that! I guess I am just old school!

You want to know something funny that happened to me yrs ago, I was dating this guy and we were waking up in the early am fm being together and I found one of my braids in the bed that fell out. I think my hair was barely long enough to put in the braid in the first place.

Luckly I don't think he saw it, but I really tried to play it off as quick as I could before he did and placed a sheet over it.:lachen: At the time it was'nt funny to me but more embarrassing. Then one fell on the ground when I was walking him to his car to say my goodbye's. You talk about humiliating!:nono:

LivingDol1

WHEN box braids were hot?!

i wore box braids for 8 years. not big like Janet's but yeah! they were always hot on me! :giggle:

box braids cannot go out of style.

heyfranz

They're still hot in NYC! I see beautiful box braids here but the don't work with my fine hair.

Nonie

Er...box braids, afros, etc are still VERY HOT to me. I've never worn lacefronts. Don't even have an interest to. I could rock a weave too but don't know how to "self-install" and don't want anyone in my head. I always find it odd when people feel "out of date" with styles that to me are so classic. Anyway, I'm not a slave to fashion and no one has ever told me I look crazy sticking to the old tried and true and in-my-head still very smart. So I'ma continue dancing to the beat of my own drum.

JollyGal

I thought box braids never went out of hair fashion.

They always look nice and are so versatile.

IA with you about everything being lacefronts and weaves. It's refreshing to see someone with box braids.

I gave up mine in July 09 now I'm back in them for winter lol

Nonie

Box braids are the only ones I will put in my hair. I really don't see how women can wear the micros, they have got to be h... to take out! I just don't have the patience for that! I guess I am just old school!

You want to know something funny that happened to me yrs ago, I was dating this guy and we were waking up in the early am fm being together and I found one of my braids in the bed that fell out. I think my hair was barely long enough to put in the braid in the first place.

Luckly I don't think he saw it, but I really tried to play it off as quick as I could before he did and placed a sheet over it.:lachen: At the time it was'nt funny to me but more embarrassing. Then one fell on the ground when I was walking him to his car to say my goodbye's. You talk about humiliating!:nono:

Micros aren't h*** to undo if you use your fingers and are happily distracted by a movie. See?

You think your story is embarrassing. I have serious HIH disease and keep feeling my hair for braids that need redoing. I sometimes half undo them so that it'll be easier when I have time to take out the extension and reinstall.

Well, I guess I went a little far one time and while in class (college auditorium-like class), a braid fell on the book the the white guy sitting behind me scaring the crap out of him. It was a long time ago so I don't remember how I explained that, but I never forgot the main part of that incident. :giggle:

longhairlover

o snap forgot Patra worka man.

yeah some patra style, jumbo, medium sized. I was watching steve harvey and one character on there had the big box braids,and another character had them too but shoulder length. I just started to have flash backs.

Uh oh! They are not hot anymore!? (I still think I look cute) I have some in my head right now. Are we talking individuals or Patra style braids here?

longhairlover

how is the Kanekalon hair for braiding? and yeah I think they were healthier, some of my friends that had the big braids never suffered any hair trauma like with micros, tree braids etc.

Wow what a timely post OP!:grin: I've just installed some HL braid/twist extensions for the 2010 Braid Challenge. It's been many years since I've rocked any kind of braids...dang maybe 1995 - I know I know I'm getting kinda old!:blush: Anyway, it's been so long that I had to relearn how to do them!:lachen:
I actually think they are better than a wig or weave because you have constant and easy access to your hair and scalp. Also, one doesn't have to worry about blending or tracks showing when the wind blows. I have so many more style options. The Kanekalon fiber is so cheap which is a bonus so I can experiment with colours, textures and styles without it breaking the bank!

longhairlover

:lachen::lachen::lachen:yeah they did use to fall out, i'd see them in the staircases in h.s. and I don't think it was because someone got beat up lmao!!!

I remember one of my friends use to wear nothing but micros, she use to have to call me over and another chick to help her get them out in a few hours instead of days.