Remember when box braids were hot?

longhairlover

true, I was thinking the huge box braids, I remember growing up in harlem and walking through 125th st and every female had the huge box braids, fancy zig zag parts....those were the days,

I guess I should've posted pics on the braids I saw on steve harvey's show it was the huge ones, and the women on there use to really have a nice variety of relaxed and natural hairstyles.

I don't mean all box braids just those janet jackson/patra type braids.

Er...box braids, afros, etc are still VERY HOT to me. I've never worn lacefronts. Don't even have an interest to. I could rock a weave too but don't know how to "self-install" and don't want anyone in my head. I always find it odd when people feel "out of date" with styles that to me are so classic. Anyway, I'm not a slave to fashion and no one has ever told me I look crazy sticking to the old tried and true and in-my-head still very smart. So I'ma continue dancing to the beat of my own drum.

Nonie

true, I was thinking the huge box braids, I remember growing up in harlem and walking through 125th st and every female had the huge box braids, fancy zig zag parts....those were the days,

I guess I should've posted pics on the braids I saw on steve harvey's show it was the huge ones, and the women on there use to really have a nice variety of relaxed and natural hairstyles.

I don't mean all box braids just those janet jackson/patra type braids.

I could wear Janet's in a heartbeat if I could wear them on my own hair. When my hair gets to a length where I can wear them and have them hanging to my shoulders after a wash, trust me, you won't be able to stop me wearing them. I just wouldn't wear them with extensions not because I don't find them cute, but when I wear extensions, I don't plan on taking them off anytime soon so I need them to be versatile. I love the versatility I get with micros because they behave as if it's just hair. With fat braids, I couldn't really pull off any of these styles and not be "scalp-y" or look crazy. (Curly do, Straight with bumped(?) ends, Braid-out, Cornrowed.)

Fatter braids could still be worn in different styles, just not as many as can be worn with micros, and I like versatility.

When my hair was pressed and therefore would reach my shoulders even when braided, I can't tell you how EXCITED I was to wear my hair like this to work:

And this is another of my favorite pics coz I love to see my hair form long braid tails:

So as you can see, I have no issues with wearing box braids. I just want them to be long. :pray:

Last edited:

julzinha

I definitely remember. Moesha was my idol I always wanted to have my braids done like Moesha. When I was younger we would go to the braider and tell her thats what I wanted.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
wow, i just had a flash back of when is in the 5th grade and i saw poetic justice, i begged my mother to let me have them same braids, so in nyc sitting in salon getting them done. i was 10 looking like 30 lol. first and last time in a salon.

ceebee3

Micros aren't h*** to undo if you use your fingers and are happily distracted by a movie. See?

You think your story is embarrassing. I have serious HIH disease and keep feeling my hair for braids that need redoing. I sometimes half undo them so that it'll be easier when I have time to take out the extension and reinstall.

Well, I guess I went a little far one time and while in class (college auditorium-like class), a braid fell on the book the the white guy sitting behind me scaring the crap out of him. It was a long time ago so I don't remember how I explained that, but I never forgot the main part of that incident. :giggle:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

That happened to me on the subway!

I haven't worn braids in over 12 years, I really miss them. I love the long braid extensions I think they're so sexy.

I also had the Patra braids back in JHS.

KiSseS03

Box Braids are STILL hot to me! :lachen: Seriously, I think they are beautiful, and I always get complimented on mine.

This thread reminds me, I need to call up my braider and set up an appointment for next week. :grin:

Kalia1

Box Braids will always be HOT!

I just took some down a few weeks back. I am doing the Senegalese Twists in a micro form next. It's a great way to rest your hair yet still have access to your scalp.

I always get compliments on mine too!

Duchesse

wow, i just had a flash back of when is in the 5th grade and i saw poetic justice, i begged my mother to let me have them same braids, so in nyc sitting in salon getting them done. i was 10 looking like 30 lol. first and last time in a salon.

:lachen:and you knew you were cute too huh!

I remember the first time I got my box braids. I even had a box braid bang. I saw an old pic of myself looking a hot mess with my braid bang with the burnt ends lol. You couldn't tell me nothing, even though I remember those burnt ends itching my forehead something awful.

But for real...box braids for life!

foxee

I love box braids! They helped me transition back in the mid 90's. The only thing I hated about them is they were sooooo heavy when I'd pull them back into a ponytail.

ycj1

Micros aren't h*** to undo if you use your fingers and are happily distracted by a movie. See?

You think your story is embarrassing. I have serious HIH disease and keep feeling my hair for braids that need redoing. I sometimes half undo them so that it'll be easier when I have time to take out the extension and reinstall.

Well, I guess I went a little far one time and while in class (college auditorium-like class), a braid fell on the book the the white guy sitting behind me scaring the crap out of him. It was a long time ago so I don't remember how I explained that, but I never forgot the main part of that incident. :giggle:

Dang Girl! Too funny:lachen:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
[/B]

:lachen:and you knew you were cute too huh!

I remember the first time I got my box braids. I even had a box braid bang. I saw an old pic of myself looking a hot mess with my braid bang with the burnt ends lol. You couldn't tell me nothing, even though I remember those burnt ends itching my forehead something awful.

But for real...box braids for life!

i sure did think iwas cute lol. and i remember the stylist kept burning her fingers over and over again trying to twist the burnt ends lol!!!

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I love these (minus the purple). What type of hair do you need for this look? I'm rebraiding mine in 2 weeks and want a different look.

Kanekalon or Toyokalon fiber hair I think. You could probably do it with human hair too if you found some that was long enough.

SoniT

I love box braids! :ohwell: I haven't had them done in years though. The last time I got my hair braided, I got cornrows. Anyway, I used to wear my braids more like that photo of Jada, not as thick as Janet's or Patra's. They take forever to take out though. That's the only thing I don't like about braids. :yep:

757diva

Heck I had some box braids about 5 months ago...I burnt the ends lol then I curled them with hot water. I love box braids

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
We used to call the big box braid Dookie Braids. :rofl: I'm not sure where that name came from but I sure miss those days. I used to rock the hayell out of my Dooks.:lol:

Sweet_Ambrosia

I'm still a fan of box braids (w/extensions), not huge dookie braids, but if they're medium/small and neatly done it can be a nice change of pace. If only it didn't take me 2 days to put them in I'd probably be wearing some now! *lol*

ryanshope

I still will rock box braids or crochet braids...lol....in a minute.

I have never had micros---love them but can't go that small. Micros would take too much time and i have always been scared of damaging my hair.

Jozze

how is the Kanekalon hair for braiding? and yeah I think they were healthier, some of my friends that had the big braids never suffered any hair trauma like with micros, tree braids etc.

The Kaneklon is the best for braiding IMO. I use Janet Collection Afrelle Jumbo Braid because it's soft and stretchy so it doesn't cut or dry out your natural hair. It's also extremely light weight which is good because I remember back in the 90s wearing long braids and having constant neck pain from the weight!:lachen:[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

StarFish106

I always put in box braids...never wanted micros but didn't like them too thick either. Mine are usually the diameter of my middle finger or thumb.

Attachments

• sie view.jpg
    sie view.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 100

beans4reezy

Funny thread. I was watching the Steve Harvey show, saw one of the girls in the huge box braids and thought about this thread :)

longhairlover

nice, i'm jealous I always wanted to know how to do the box braids myself, but I guess i'd first have to know how to do a braid first lol!!!! I use to try when I was in h.s. bought hair and everything but the braids fell out, I gave up and just blew my hair out lmao!

I always put in box braids...never wanted micros but didn't like them too thick either. Mine are usually the diameter of my middle finger or thumb.

chebaby

i love box braids but i have never been a fan of exstentions for some reason. i would pay $200 to get them done and take them out 2 weeks later lol. a waste. but the braids are beautiful. i want some lol but i know me.

jcdlox

guess I'm late to the party and the party is over? I'm wearing box braids right now, just got them for the first time for my overseas trip. They were great, better than corn rows for me and very versatile. They aren't really thick though, larger than micros and shoulder length. I really like them, why are they out?