Respect from the Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandake

I don't know.

I think as a courtesy there should have been a message about the maintenance. Also a thread about the missing feature. Especially since there are about 7 threads related to not having a thank you button.

It takes less than 5 minutes to create a thread.

This is not directed toward the mods. But to Bev and/or Nikos.

Finewine

Just wanted to chime in and thank SuperGirl and Allandra for responding to our concerns. There are threads in every forum about this topic, and they have continued to answer the question (to the best of their ability) each time.

Thanks, ladies!

envybeauty

Good goobly goo! The mods nor the owner of this site owes any of us shiznizzle. 5 damn dolla's don't even get you that much so called respect at the 99cent store. We can all go shopping elsewhere instead of making bs demands and asking for champagne when we paid for beer. LOL Again good goobly goo! Hi ya'll have a great day! LOL

thank you! i was like for six fidy a year folks want all that. :rolleyes: people spend more that on crappy conditioner and they don't write or expect a letter from the manufacturer.

it ain't that serious. common sense will tell you why they close most of these threads.

*Frisky*

SG,
From the overall tone of your posts it seems like you're in a bad mood today. So I hope my reply doesn't start anything...
But I have to disagree with the bolded. As a non-paying forum participant I can read posts for free. But when I pay for membership I am paying specifically for the ability to start, post to, and communicate via threads. As a paying member I should ALWAYS be notified if my thread is closed, no matter who closes it. That should be company policy (for lack of a better term, since I know the mods don't do this for a living).
Simply put, if I pay for some service or act, and the ability to use the service or carry out the act is taken away (limited, modified, etc) by the provider (moderator, administrator, etc), at the very least I should be told why--every time.

*ducks and backs out of the room*

I think what you may be reading from Supergirls post is frustration rather than being in a bad mood. Kinda piggy backing off of CCD's post on this but I think everyone expects the mods to know what is going on AT ALL TIMES on the board and that is simply not the case. And this has been expressed several times before for different reasons. Just like the locking of the thread thing has been discussed so again, I think the mods are feeling frustrated having to explain themselves over and over and especially being expected to explain what is going on when they don't have a clue themselves. People need to be a tad bit more understanding and just wait some type of official information to be communicated.

ambergirl

Moderators and the individuals that handle the technical features of this board have differing roles. Moderators have nothing to do with what board features are added or disabled.

Also, when a thread is closed the OP is usually notified as a courtesy. There may also be a final post from the mod that closes it, but please know that we do not owe anyone an explanation as to why a thread is being closed. In fact, it should be apparent by reading the thread.

Hello Supergirl,

Thanks for weighing in.

First off, many of us don't know the lingo around boards. I assumed that mods, admins, owners, were interchangeble terms but apparently that is not the case.

Secondly, it is not at all clear in reading threads why they have been closed in many cases. I've had threads closed because of controversial but respectful discussions.

A simple "closed due to complaints" or "inappropriate language" or "inappropriate topic" at the end of the post would make it clear how it is that a thread ends up closed and what things are off limits on this forum.

My instinct is that all it takes is one person complaining about a thread to get it locked....I fully realize that may not be true, but by not explaining the policy folks here don't know what drives it and how decisions are made.

Allandra

Just wanted to chime in and thank SuperGirl and Allandra for responding to our concerns. There are threads in every forum about this topic, and they have continued to answer the question (to the best of their ability) each time.

Thanks, ladies!
You're welcome, and thank you hun. :)

LaidBak

I disagree as to bolded. Some folks like to act the hell up in other people's threads and they are the reason why the mod would close the thread. There have been several trolls/instigators who will enter a thread just cause and they get it shut down. I don't wanna know all that every time I start a thread. Mods got better things to do than to have to sit around writing some synopsis as to why they just had to close the umteenth thread. If you participate in the thread you create, it will be evident to you as to why the mod closed the thread (some 90% of the time).

Interesting. I've never had a thread closed or been a forum mod so I was just expressing my humble opinion. I figured mods volunteered to be mods because they had the time to do such things, else, why volunteer? I figured something like, "Your thread is being closed because XYZ member violated policy" would be quick and easy to write. Probably easier to write than a repsonse to the OP's subsequent PM. But not ever having been a mod I suppose it could be a burden...

Just a thought. And thanks to all the mods who have participated here in an effort to address our concerns.

Last edited:

MissNina

Libra Girl
It would be nice to know why certain threads are closed and others, which are much more aggressive in nature, are still open. I think there should be clear and defined guidelines for thread closings so that, even when we aren't given a reason, it is pretty clear why it was closed.

As far as the thanks button is concerned, I don't necessarily feel like we are owed it but, at the same point in time, it was introduced and now that is the standard. I have seen that thanks button on FREE boards (with the same layout as this one, actually) that I don't pay for. Granted those forums doesn't have as much traffic as this one does. . .that can count for things.

That being said, if it's been taken away permanently, I agree that something better should come in its place. If it can't be, cool. I'll be expecting a reason (that Allandra said she or another one of the mods will give). No biggie. "Thanks" being gone is more annoying than anything else. . .it makes the forum exp a lot easier.

And, lastly, if you pay for something - no matter the amount - you are owed some type of respect/explanation. I reject the notion that b/c I only pay $6.50 a yr I'm not owed anything. If I go into line at McDonald's and they give me cold fries, I'm sending them right back and telling them to give me fresh ones. I'm owed that b/c I paid for it. Even if it was only $1.30.

Keen

The mods didn't take away the thanks button. That's a administrative decision. More than likey, with the new software, Bev and Nikos decided not to use it or it wasn't and option with this package. Every year around this time we get new things and other things are taken away.

Spoken like a true old head.

MissNina

Libra Girl
And I just wanted to add that I think this topic and the way we're all handling said issues is really great. When things are out in the open and ppl don't feel like they can't say anything, things generally go much better.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
SG,
From the overall tone of your posts it seems like you're in a bad mood today. So I hope my reply doesn't start anything...
But I have to disagree with the bolded. As a non-paying forum participant I can read posts for free. But when I pay for membership I am paying specifically for the ability to start, post to, and communicate via threads. As a paying member I should ALWAYS be notified if my thread is closed, no matter who closes it. That should be company policy (for lack of a better term, since I know the mods don't do this for a living).
Simply put, if I pay for some service or act, and the ability to use the service or carry out the act is taken away (limited, modified, etc) by the provider (moderator, administrator, etc), at the very least I should be told why--every time.

*ducks and backs out of the room*

I am not in a bad mood. Are you judging from my posts in this thread alone or every post I've made today? :scratchch

It is fine that you don't agree with me. You pay your membership fees (which is optional by the way) to post on the forum and to have access to forums that are restricted to non-paying members. These fees also help with site maintenance. You do not pay your membership fees for anyone to work for you, including the mods and admin. The mods are here to keep things running smoothly and according to forum rules, because it would be impossible for Beverly (the owner) to do all of that on her own.

So if anyone has the "you work for me" mentality (especially @ $6.50 :lol:), that would be incorrect.

Please forgive me if it seems like I am in a bad mood. It has more to do with this thread and some of the implications within.

ETA: Another reason that the membership fee was started was to keep trolls away.

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Thanks, ladies!

Thank you :up:

firecracker

Supergurl and Allandra ya'll some kinda nice and pc! Not even on my best day would I ever............lol Let me go get Mister Pister off the pot! Be right back ya'll.

firecracker

I am not in a bad mood. Are you judging from my posts in this thread alone or every post I've made today? :scratchch

It is fine that you don't agree with me. You pay your membership fees (which is optional by the way) to post on the forum and to have access to forums that are restricted to non-paying members. These fees also help with site maintenance. You do not pay your membership fees for anyone to work for you, including the mods and admin. The mods are here to keep things running smoothly and according to forum rules, because it would be impossible for Beverly (the owner) to do all of that on her own.

So if anyone has the "you work for me" mentality (especially @ $6.50 :lol:), that would be incorrect.

Please forgive me if it seems like I am in a bad mood. It has more to do with this thread and some of the implications within.

Halleluzja to the bolded! :lachen: Like she has a staff of servants fo $5 lousy damn dollars! :lachen::lachen::lachen:
I gotta sign and a song like to hear it hear it goes "will work for food", "I got five on it", "5.99 are you outta yo mind" :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

firecracker

LET IT RAINNNNNNNNNNNN
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

dlewis

We need to move on from this thread. I can imagine how the mods feel it's working on me.

Supergirl and Allandra you have my permission to lock this thread.:giggle: Nothing else need to be said.

LaidBak

ETA: Another reason that the membership fee was started was to keep trolls away.

I reread what I wrote. I can't see where I came off that way. I acknowledged twice that mods volunteer. But for me it's not that serious. Just stating my opinion...my $6.50 worth :drunk:

envybeauty

It would be nice to know why certain threads are closed and others, which are much more aggressive in nature, are still open. I think there should be clear and defined guidelines for thread closings so that, even when we aren't given a reason, it is pretty clear why it was closed.

As far as the thanks button is concerned, I don't necessarily feel like we are owed it but, at the same point in time, it was introduced and now that is the standard. I have seen that thanks button on FREE boards (with the same layout as this one, actually) that I don't pay for. Granted those forums doesn't have as much traffic as this one does. . .that can count for things.

That being said, if it's been taken away permanently, I agree that something better should come in its place. If it can't be, cool. I'll be expecting a reason (that Allandra said she or another one of the mods will give). No biggie. "Thanks" being gone is more annoying than anything else. . .it makes the forum exp a lot easier.

And, lastly, if you pay for something - no matter the amount - you are owed some type of respect/explanation. I reject the notion that b/c I only pay $6.50 a yr I'm not owed anything. If I go into line at McDonald's and they give me cold fries, I'm sending them right back and telling them to give me fresh ones. I'm owed that b/c I paid for it. Even if it was only $1.30.

So you don't feel like the $6.50 you pay is worth it? That you are not getting something in return for paying the $6.50 above and beyond what lurkers get for free?

The $6.50 gets you access to more forums, the ability to post and respond to threads, and the ability to respond to other members in private. Period.

Does your $1.30 entitle you to sauce? napkins? straws? No. You are not guaranteed to get that every time even if you pay $1.30 for some hot fries. some place tell you to pay extra for extra bbq sauce or something.

Same here. Your thread is not guaranteed to close every time you start one so you getz no explanation.

Do folks get explanations on lipstickalley? askmen? doubt it.

this is another example of when folks want to get all extra.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I reread what I wrote. I can't see where I came off that way. I acknowledged twice that mods volunteer. But for me it's not that serious. Just stating my opinion...my $6.50 worth :drunk:

I was not necessarily directing that toward you. I was just saying that anyone (general) who feels that way has misinterpreted a few things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.