Reverse Perm - loosens up curls ?

So I found a new hairstylist that does wonders with my hairs. he has suggested that I do a reverse perm or ionic straightening because I always come in to get my hair flat ironed. This due to the fact that relaxers never get my hair compeletely straight. But the thing is, I don't want my hair completely straight, I do love my relaxed curls, but they do get very tangly and hard to manage at times, but given the proper effort I can manage it. The reverse perm can either loosen my curls to make it a wave, and he will try it out on a piece of my hair to see if I like it. But i'm scared and have half of a mind just calling into get a relaxer touch up. What shall I do ??????????????

msa

I've never heard of a reverse perm/ionic straightening.

I suggest that you do as much research as possible to see how your already relaxed hair may be affected by the new process. If you feel uncomfortable about it, don't do it until you can really make an informed decision.

Its just another way to get your hair straight. Instead of putting curlers in your hair and then putting the perming cream/solution or whatever , you just put it on your hair and then comb it through to make it straight

Starr1

Don't do it. . . it would require putting thio your hair and if it's already relaxed then you're just asking for trouble.

infojunkie

Now ya'll are talking over my head, what's "thio"? I'm transitioning to natural but inquiring minds wanna know.

yuriko

Thio is the same base as jherri curl, it makes your hair overly porous. Its not that bad if you do it on its own; but you should never combine a thio perm with a relaxer, a lot of people had all their hair fall out

msa

Ohhhhh it's thio? Girl, run far away. You're about to have no hair. Even I know you shouldn't put thio on top of a relaxer and I'm not even relaxed. Smh at your stylist thinking it's ok.

LadyD

Please don't do it! I had this done at a salon once and within one week all my hair fell out with the exception of one patch on the top! My ministers wife cried when I took the wig off and showed her. The stylist had to do my hair and scalp treatments for free until my hair was the same length it was when it fell out.

It's amazing to me that a trained stylist would even suggest such a thing but mine did and your story shows me they still do.

I don't know anyone who was able to keep their hair after having this done.

naturalgurl

Please don't do it! I had this done at a salon once and within one week all my hair fell out with the exception of one patch on the top! My ministers wife cried when I took the wig off and showed her. The stylist had to do my hair and scalp treatments for free until my hair was the same length it was when it fell out.

It's amazing to me that a trained stylist would even suggest such a thing but mine did and your story shows me they still do.

I don't know anyone who was able to keep their hair after having this done.

:blush: That brought tears to MY eyes. I've never heard of this. This goes to show how valuable this site is. I learn something new darn near every day!
DON'T DO IT!!! Thank goodness you have a subscription and can ask questions!

vkb247

I wouldn't do it over previously relaxed hair but I did find this info online.

Ammonium thioglycolate (nicknamed "thio relaxer") is much less drastic in its action than the sodium hydroxide and even, in some cases, the guanidine hydroxide. It acts a little differently by softening and relaxing overly curly hair through changes to the hair's cystine linkage.

Thio works on the same formulation principles as thioglycolate permanent waves. With a pH of 9-9.5, these are also considered to be less damaging, yet still require a neutralization step. Thioglycolate relaxers are usually in cream or gel form and can be preceded by a pre-softener.

Since thio relaxers are considered much milder, the risk of hair damage is also reduced by comparison to the sodium hydroxide.
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip086.htm

Thio gets a bad name because when used to make the hair curly it actually double processes. From the above, it seems that your hairstylist knows what he is talking about IMO.

cocoberry10

ammonium thio--It's used in White women's permanents (to make their hair curly). Now it's being used in what's called the Japanese straightening relaxer to make their hair straight! Also used in Jherri Curl and Wave Noveau!

peppers01

When I was little my older sister had a jheri curl. When she was in the 8th grade, she wanted a relaxer. Her hair had already began growing out from the last jheri, but her hair was like shoulder length. She got a relaxer, and everyday her hair kept falling out until it was barely neck length. She cried and cried. So IMO don't do it. Stick to your relaxer. No chemical processes should be even close to overlapping, regardless if they're the same or the thio and relaxer. The relaxer already weakens the hair, adding a different chemical could really damage your hair.

PinkSkates

OP the reality is that there are always downsides to permanently altering our fragile hair. The more gentle the product, the less effective it is. The more caustic the chemical, the better it permanently straightens the hair. BUT the more damage it causes in the long run.
Make sure you are fully aware of the pros and cons before allowing your stylist to apply the chemicals to your hair.

yuriko

I wouldn't do it over previously relaxed hair but I did find this info online.

Ammonium thioglycolate (nicknamed "thio relaxer") is much less drastic in its action than the sodium hydroxide and even, in some cases, the guanidine hydroxide. It acts a little differently by softening and relaxing overly curly hair through changes to the hair's cystine linkage.

Thio works on the same formulation principles as thioglycolate permanent waves. With a pH of 9-9.5, these are also considered to be less damaging, yet still require a neutralization step. Thioglycolate relaxers are usually in cream or gel form and can be preceded by a pre-softener.

Since thio relaxers are considered much milder, the risk of hair damage is also reduced by comparison to the sodium hydroxide.
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip086.htm

Thio gets a bad name because when used to make the hair curly it actually double processes. From the above, it seems that your hairstylist knows what he is talking about IMO.

Honestly, most people in beauty school are taught never to process hair with thio if it already has been relaxed and vice versa. Every single person I know who has tried this, even if applying and leaving only for a short period of time has lost almost all their hair. I would not recommend, but if the OP can ask the stylist to her some clients that have done it with good results then maybe she should consider it

OMG THANK YOU GUYS. I didn't wanna do it.

But I have seen lots of you diss my stylistt HAAHAH. The reason why he suggested it is because my hair doesn't relax bone straight so it just looks like its a not relaxed at all. ( Plus hes not black) So I think hes convinced that my hair doesn't have any chemical processes done to it. But i'm gonna call tommorrow to cancel, and can you believe it was the day before my Bday eeeek. lol anywhoooo thank you soo much for your input everyone, I think I am just gonna do a touch up relaxer and then be on my merry way, and keeep my pretty curls :)

Awwwww love you ladies :)
<3333333