Review: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shaping Creme

Cherokee-n-Black

I'm in love...:love: I've been a curly girl (method wise) for about a month, but wasn't quite lovin' it. Liking it a lot, but some of the products I was using (DevaCurl) seemed to be really coating my hair and it didn't feel as moisturized as I was expecting. I was curious about Royal Curl and saw it in Target, so on impulse, I bought it. Now I know that I bought it for twice what I should have paid, and if I could find that receipt I'd probably complain. I can't remember how much it was, but for some reason $15 comes to mind. I remember being surprised at how much my total was and when I saw that on the receipt I had major sticker shock. This stuff costs like $8 normally! So, won't be getting it from Le Target again! Back to the review.

Finally gave it a try yesterday. I've been cowashing with Suave Naturals (Coconut, although I'm sure that's just a fragrance and not an ingredient) and my hair definitely feels less coated and sticky so I'm happy about that. Since as a conditioner it's not the greatest. I did condition with it and rinsed about 80% of it out, leaving a little in for extra moisture. I followed the directions on the Royal Curl, although it says to start with a dime-sized amount per section. I'm pretty sure this is a direction for shorter hair because that amount barely made it halfway up (I have about 8 - 10 inches of hair). So I used more like a silver dollar sized amount per section for about 10 sections. I may have over-applied a bit.

Immediately my hair started to curl up as soon as I put the product in. This was a new phenomenon because one thing I always have an issue with when I leave in conditioner is curl formation. I never see it happening fast enough and always shake my head to help it along (which leads to big hair). Not necessary here, and it only got better.

I will say the crunch factor was fairly high--but I also may have over-applied. Nevertheless, when my hair dried (oh about 7 - 8 hours later) my curls were so defined and shiny, even after I scrunched out the crunch. The best thing was they had so much BODY! Bouncin' and behavin'! This is probably what I loved the most.

I didn't get 2nd day hair from this, but I'm sure in the warmer months I won't care as much. I usually wash my hair every one to two days in the summer due to heat and humidity, but I've been doing it lately because I have yet to find a moisturizer/curl refresher or technique that doesn't result in fro-town on the second or third day. All in all, these are the best results I've had since I went to Devachan for my big chop (got third day hair from that).

I didn't take a pic but I did a YT review, I'm just not sure how you can find it because when I search it doesn't come up. Unfortunately today is day two and the magic is gone LOL but my hair feels really nice and it still has the bounce and body, even if the curls aren't quite as defined. I can't say this is HG, but definitely worth a try!

Er-uhhhh... how you gon' come up in here talkin about your awesome curl definition... and you ain't got no pitchas? :lol:

receipts.gif

Er-uhhhh... how you gon' come up in here talkin about your awesome curl definition... and you ain't got no pitchas? :lol:

receipts.gif

I was so caught up in trying to do a video review I forgot! Although....hmmm...sometimes I forget to change the switch from camera to video and end up taking a pic, let me see if I did that here. LOL I'll be bock!

ETA: You hit me with the Whitney. Dannnnnng!:lachen:

Last edited:
Awwwwww yeahhh! Found it! I almost always do that at least once when I'm doing a vid. Usually I end up erasing them but I must've liked this one. Don't know if you can see it as well here, but Ta Daaaaaaa!

nvcft2.jpg
(It's an "up the nose shot," which would normally get a big "D-lete!" :lol:

Your hair came out so cute! I picked up a tub last week from my neighborhood organic grocery store. It cost around $7 or $8.

I used WAY too much on my DD's hair, so it made her hair flake and extra-crunchy. This was my fault though. I think I would have gotten much better results if I'd followed the instructions.

Her curls were really defined though, and the product made her hair smell great :yep: We'll try again in a few weeks.

Your hair came out so cute! I picked up a tub last week from my neighborhood organic grocery store. It cost around $7 or $8.

I used WAY too much on my DD's hair, so it made her hair flake and extra-crunchy. This was my fault though. I think I would have gotten much better results if I'd followed the instructions.

Her curls were really defined though, and the product made her hair smell great :yep: We'll try again in a few weeks.

Yeah, I think you have to resist the temptation to use too much. I definitely had some crunch, but happily, no flaking!

Yes, I got this and KCCC (Kinky Curly Curling Custard) at Whole Foods a while back because it was so much cheaper, so I figured I would do a comparison when the time was right. Well 6+ months later, I finally did my side by side comparison three weeks ago on Sat. nite and wore it to church the next day for the natural heads.

Well looks like you get what you pay for. KCCC gave superior curl definition, and every one of the three people I showed the comparison to preferred the KCCC side. Since I am running out of the KCCC, I have decided to stir in some castor oil into the Queen Helene to help the staying power, moisture and curl action along. Will try to remember to add a report if I get better results from it...

Sorry no pics, but wanted to put my $.02 in where it counts...

Last edited:
I bought it a while ago thinking it was more creamy. I ended up liking it for my twistouts. I agree that KC is better but this is very good and worked in the absence of KC.

OK, this review is having the opposite effect. My positive review thread is supposed to make other people wanna go out and get Royal Curl, not make me want to go out and get KCCC :lachen: I do know people IRL who swear by it (and also those who said it didn't do much for them--which I now find a little surprising). Going natural has done NOTHING for my product junkie-ism, which I thought I had cured when I was transitioning :cry:

Don't feel bad!
Keep using the Royal Curl because it works fine for you. When you run out, try a small jar of KCCC.

Cherokee-n-Black, sipp100, wavezncurlz, well just wanted to report back that the castor oil made the difference! The application of it is still not as creamy as KCCC, but I was still very pleased with the results, and I got good feedback from my hair fans! :lol: So I will use this up before I get more KCCC... I got close to 3 days of a decent hairdo with KCCC, so I will see how much longevity I can get out of this stuff... HTH! HHG!

Thanks for sharing this, beautiful results! I have a bottle of this that I've never tried and may try it next wash day w/a little castor oil for a twistout.

I'm glad you liked it bc I nor my classmates liked it.

But its always a great feeling when you find something that works with you and your hair!! Congrats!

Back