Rice Water for Strong, Lustrous Hair? I Intend to Find Out. . . *PICS*

Americka

I was born and raised in the so-called "Rice Capital of the World", but I have never heard of this. I am willing to give this a try. Thanks to grow for tagging this thread!

Missjae09

Sounds a little weird and interesting! lol Maybe they are using rice water to rinse their hair to preserve their resources and not be wasteful... at any rate please post pictures!!

DesignerCurls

Very interesting! I was just researching rice bran oil a couple of weeks because I use it as a ceramide oil for sealing and have been getting great results. :lick: So there might be something to the rice water.

Will check back for results

Thanks Grow for the tag!!

bb09

So do you wash your rice or not before eating it? I never knew about the nutrients, but my friend does it to get rid of the starch -because she was trying to lose weight. Sorry to be OT :grin:

choctaw

very interesting thread and thanks for sharing!

please come back and let us know how it's going...

Urban, thanks for the link, too! there's lots of good info on there about it and extra usages.....a must try.

Grow ... I can't find the link but some ladies add rice water to their ayurvedic powders. I have been using hibiscus fenugreek tea with amla, maka, brahmi, cassia and henna powders. Its addictive :look:

lilikoi

Those concerned about rinsing rice: If it's not vitamin D enriched (read the label) you should wash before cooking.

In terms of benefits to the hair, it could be any of the components mentioned before (protein, polysaccharides) or it could be the ceramides...Regardless, I don't think this could hurt!

bb09

So is it bad to wash rice or not? How much nutrients are you really losing when you do?

choctaw

So do you wash your rice or not before eating it? I never knew about the nutrients, but my friend does it to get rid of the starch -because she was trying to lose weight. Sorry to be OT :grin:
Washing can remove small foreign objects from the rice (rocks, twigs). I've only seen those in huge bags of rice.

Krystle~Hime

So is it bad to wash rice or not? How much nutrients are you really losing when you do?

okay mmmh.. I know the rice bought at the supermarket doesn't have to be rinse, you can cook it suddenly, or heat it in the microwave without rinsing it.
but where Im from(west coast africa) and all my asian friends(japanese and chinese) they rinse the rice before cooking it.
and I think it's just for "clean" it. just for put off away in case there is some litlle dirt, you know like when we rinse salad leafs and tomatoes.
so you don't have to be worry about losing nutrients.

camilla

west indians do the same I think that is why asians eat so much rice and are not overweight because most the starch is washed away my dh is jamaican and he washes the rice i do as well

Angelicus

1. A lot of East Indians in the village recycle rice water for their hair for softness.
2. Potato, wheat, and rice starch are used in many professional products such as L'Oreal, Kenra, and Joico.
3. A lot of people just have long hair because of genetics, healthy diet, and aversion to the elements.

LadyPaniolo

:bump: This is a fascinating idea, which I am only just now finding out about. It makes sense to me. We rinse our rice before we cook it... we use Japanese sticky rice. I'll be sure to remind DH next time to save the water so I can run it over my cornrows.

And I :lovedrool: am so sprung on that length in the OP :drool: A girl can dream....

la mosca

Well, I'm back with an update, such as it is. Eh, rice water is just ok. Obviously, I didn't experience any miraculous results (nor was I expecting any), and it was really annoying to find teeny flecks of rice/starch/whatever in my hair. I fully recognize that it was a very silly experiment, but oh well, it was free. Hey, I took one for the team. :lol:

ambs_0587

Thank you for reporting back. I remember this thread from awhile back.
Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Long Hair Care Forum App

NaturalEnigma

I noticed my Camille Rose Naturals Moisture Milk has both rice milk and rice bran oil in it. Maybe I'll in invest in some rice bran oil.