Rice Water for Strong, Lustrous Hair? I Intend to Find Out. . . *PICS*

la mosca

I was making sushi the other day, and I had a bowl of water left behind from having washed the rice. I remembered reading something about a beauty benefit from rice water, so I set it aside and did a little research. I found this:

HUANGLUO: Don’t throw out the rice water

These ladies are from Huangluo, a minority Yao village in the Longji Terraces at the base of the mountain. It’s more famously known as the Long-hair Village.

According to local tradition, women cut their hair only once in their lives ― at about 16 to 18 years old when they’re considered ready for adulthood and marriage. The cut hair is kept like a headpiece, and twisted into part of their regular hairdo.

The women wear their hair differently depending on their marital status. . . .

According to our local guide, they wash their hair every two to three days with “rice water” (water used to rinse rice) in the nearby river. . . .

(Full article found here: HUANGLUO: Don’t throw out the rice water � are you gonna eat that?)

I decided to try it out.

I shampooed and conditioned as usual, then I used the rice water as a final rinse.

The rice water didn't add any slip, but it did make my hair feel stronger and more "substantial."

I twisted my hair in two buns to air dry.

My air-dried hair is never anything to write home about looks-wise, and this experience was no different. My hair did feel a bit smoother, stronger, and better-conditioned though.

I'm going to keep using the rice water once a week or so for the rest of the year and see if I notice any long-term benefits. Has anyone else tried this?

Tiye

I haven't done it but I always have plenty of rice in the house so it's worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

growth2come

I think its not just the rice water to could also be in addition to their healthy living over there as well as all the other bits of seaweed and what not in their diet that helps with their hair and long lives.

la mosca

I think its not just the rice water to could also be in addition to their healthy living over there as well as all the other bits of seaweed and what not in their diet that helps with their hair and long lives.

I agree. I know from experience that healthy hair and skin start on the inside. (I became slightly anemic a little while ago, and my hair turned into a hot mess.) I think it's cool that something I normally wash down the drain may actually have a beauty benefit. (Especially in this economy. :lol:)

FebeeSigns

I haven't tried it. I know the composition of rice in terms of it's biomolecular structure and the basic chemistry of carbs high in glycemic index. I don't see how it could benefit my hair.

Judwill07

Interesting, I've never heard of using rice water before. I will be looking out for your furture posts to see if you have any success. Happy rinsing :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
These ladies are protective styling. I think that is what helps their hair as well as their diet. I thought washing rice destroys the benefit of it.:look: I won't be trying this, but I will try to continue the protective styling.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I've heard of it, but never thought to try it myself.You have peaked my interest now though. Please come back and let us know how it goes :yep:

la mosca

These ladies are protective styling. I think that is what helps their hair as well as their diet. I thought washing rice destroys the benefit of it.:look: I won't be trying this, but I will try to continue the protective styling.

Yes, I noticed that, too. I just thought this would be fun--and free--to try. I don't mind being the guinea pig on this one.

By the way, rice washing (with water from cooked rice) is apparently an Indian thing, too. Webindia123.com lists the following among its haircare tips for dandruff:

Mix Shikakai powder with the water drained from the cooked rice and wash the hair with it.

Here's another one from webindia123.com for healthy and shiny hair:

Apply besan in the hair and wash it with water drained from the cooked rice.

There's been a lot of buzz on the board about shikakai powder, but I haven't seen anything here about rice washing. Eh, maybe it's helpful, maybe not.

Last edited:

Tiye

Absolutely - I want more of their hair care tips. :) I think this is the mountains in a remote area of China so the secret may not be seaweed.

I don't rinse my rice before cooking it. If I want rice water for hair I'll just soak a few spoonfuls of rice in cup of water. I know someone who used to eat the rice water that cooks off the top of the rice for the nutrients. Cosmetic suppliers sell hydrolized rice protein also found in quite a few hair products which might be the same thing as the rice water - it's probably good for healthy hair both inside and out.

empressri

I wonder if it has something to do with the starch. You see similar ingredients in a lot of hair products.

Fab_Nikki

*while you stir your rice*

LOL I couldn't resist sowee :D

Interesting to hear though.

CA*Nappy

Definitely update us in the exploration.

Side ? from another thread - Did you ever get a good jar of Linange Relaxer and do a touch up? Any length gain if you did?

makeupvixen

Wow, i haven't tried it but it sounds very interesting. I have tried coconut water for 6 months and it really didn't do anything for me.

Rice water is a new one and I might try it next year during my no growth months in the spring.

gadgetdiva

The rice water sort of makes sense if it contains polysaccharides which I was reading about on yesterday (because its in my 99% Aloe Vera Gel for it to be absorbent) and polysaccharides help to thicken the hair in appearance and feel.

la mosca

Definitely update us in the exploration.

Side ? from another thread - Did you ever get a good jar of Linange Relaxer and do a touch up? Any length gain if you did?

Yes, I finally got two decent jars, but I had to go back to BlueBeez to get it. And the color was still darker than normal--light tan instead of creamy beige. But the consistency and smell were ok, so I went ahead and used it. The whole thing doesn't sit right with me, but I'm going to stick with Linange for now. I did gain some length, but I've been trimming away overprocessed ends from my days in the stylist's chair. (The Linange hair looks and feels so much healthier than the hair she relaxed.) So the length is the same as my avi and siggy. I'm going to maintain this length through the end of the year and get growing again next year.

grow

very interesting thread and thanks for sharing!

please come back and let us know how it's going...

Urban, thanks for the link, too! there's lots of good info on there about it and extra usages.....a must try.

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I have heard of this being mixed with shikakai powder like you mentioned. I dont intend to find out though. I prefer to keep as many vitamin and minerals in my food to be ingested. I hope it works out for you though.

I use rice water as a binding agent, when my DD or I have loose bowels. Works every time.

discodumpling

I'm not certain about the benefits of rice water but I have seen these women before & believe that their awesome hairgrowth is a result of several factors...who knows what beneficial nutrients & minerals are in the river water?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Interesting! Perhaps it works like a protein conditioner?
Those ladies are beautiful with their hair dos.

Mz.MoMo5235

hmmm, i know a lot of asian women who use rice water as a toner on their skin. but i never thought about it on hair. i wonder if it has the same benefits on hair as it does skin.

i also want to add that just like with the skin, they dont use just any kind of rice i'm sure lol. so get the good stuff lol

Aireen

Wow very intriguing, I saw Michelle Phan's video on YouTube for the benefits of rice water when used as a toner to even out one's complexion. I never thought much of it but maybe I'll use rice water as a final rinse as well. I'll be referring back to this thread later. :)