Rice Water?

Jade Feria

I have been using rice water as my final rinse-out after DCing for the past 3 weeks. So far, so good! Except for that smell. Last time I used it, it was fermenting for about 5 days. Laawwwwd that smell! I put in some tea tree oil, rosemary, and peppermint, which helped with the stench, and had my scalp tingling!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Except for that smell. Last time I used it, it was fermenting for about 5 days. Laawwwwd that smell! I put in some tea tree oil, rosemary, and peppermint, which helped with the stench, and had my scalp tingling!
@Jade Feria
I may try this Sa.turday, because I forgot to use it last Sat., so I know it's good & funky by nah.:barf:

I just remembered I follow mine up with a R/O which usually mitigates the scent.

ladybevy

I am loving the rice water rinse. I have been doing it for about a month now. Loving the results. My hair has been soft and so easier to handle. I always do it after I have rinse out my DC. I have been leaving it in my hair with a plastic cap for at least 45 minutes. The first time I did it I had fermented it for 24 hours. The results were okay. After that I have been fermenting it for 48 hours and the results were so much better. I won't ferment it for more than 48 hours. I haven't heard anybody state if they had better results with fermenting it for more than 48 hours.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
So I made too much the first time. And I’m not about that wasteful life so I froze the excess.
Last weekend, I used the defrosted rice water and my experience was that it wasn’t as smelly and if seemed equally effective. I haven’t been using it long enough to say if defrosted ricewater makes any difference in terms of efficacy, but until I use up what I made, I’ll be using defrosted ricewater (one or 2 more washes).
Then back to fresh, small batch rice water for me.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
From the site:
Senior and Military Membership Fee Discounts
If you purchase or renew your Beauty Club card in-store, you can request a senior or military discount. For customers 55 years and older, present your ID showing your birth date and request your $2.50 membership fee discount. For military personnel, present your active military ID to waive your $5 membership fee. These discounts are only available in store upon request and are not available online. Membership fees cannot be refunded for past card purchases and renewals.

* Only paid membership purchases and renewals qualify for instant rewards. Members whose fee is waived for any reason, including military discounts, will not receive the instant reward. Members receiving free memberships ARE eligible for the on-time renewal gift and the
monthly 15% rewards.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Summerof93
Today, I used it under my DC'er and got under my Steamer. And I also used a R/O after rinsing out my DC'er.

ETA: After I apply my final R/O, I can no longer smell the fermented RW. Are you using a scented conditioner for a R/O?

I am currently using HV's MoistPRO as a final R/O which is very pleasantly scented and completely eliminates the scent of the fermented R/W.

However, I have used other scented R/O's and have never still smelled the scent of fermented R/W in my Hair.

Last edited:

PJaye

no I haven't. I read somewhere that it wasn't beneficial to boil the rice.

That's interesting because I saw a yt video that did it both ways and reaped the same benefits. If the smell is that bothersome, you may have to forgo it altogether.

snoop

That's interesting because I saw a yt video that did it both ways and reaped the same benefits. If the smell is that bothersome, you may have to forgo it altogether.

I feel like I saw a video where they also boiled it to stop the fermentation process after? I don't think boiling it prior to fermenting would do anything, though...

Anyone make their own beer or wine?

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
From the site:
Senior and Military Membership Fee Discounts
If you purchase or renew your Beauty Club card in-store, you can request a senior or military discount. For customers 55 years and older, present your ID showing your birth date and request your $2.50 membership fee discount. For military personnel, present your active military ID to waive your $5 membership fee. These discounts are only available in store upon request and are not available online. Membership fees cannot be refunded for past card purchases and renewals.

* Only paid membership purchases and renewals qualify for instant rewards. Members whose fee is waived for any reason, including military discounts, will not receive the instant reward. Members receiving free memberships ARE eligible for the on-time renewal gift and the
monthly 15% rewards.

I'm retired and they don't charge me anything for membership. I just show my retiree Id when it's time to renew. Is this a new change of policy?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I don’t boil mine as I’m convinced that some of the benefits get reduced with cooking. But I can honestly say directly after defrosting, the smell is reduced tremendously. Idk how/whether freezing affects the benefits though.
I don’t attempt to cover the smell with anything though.
May I ask how long you rinse with plain water afterwards? You have to rinse very thoroughly. I think it’s like ACV where you can only smell the RW if there’s residue remaining.
I follow my RW rinse with nice smelling stylers and LIs. That does the trick for me.
what do some of you do about the smell? I've tried essential oils but it doesn't work the smell still linger in my hair after I rinse it out.

Summerof93

@Summerof93
Today, I used it under my DC'er and got under my Steamer. And I also used a R/O after rinsing out my DC'er.

ETA: After I apply my final R/O, I can no longer smell the fermented RW. Are you using a scented conditioner for a R/O?

I am currently using HV's MoistPRO as a final R/O which is very pleasantly scented and completely eliminates the scent of the fermented R/W.

However, I have used other scented R/O's and have never still smelled the scent of fermented R/W in my Hair.
Yes I used a scented rinse out.

Summerof93

I don’t boil mine as I’m convinced that some of the benefits get reduced with cooking. But I can honestly say directly after defrosting, the smell is reduced tremendously. Idk how/whether freezing affects the benefits though.
I don’t attempt to cover the smell with anything though.
May I ask how long you rinse with plain water afterwards? You have to rinse very thoroughly. I think it’s like ACV where you can only smell the RW if there’s residue remaining.
I follow my RW rinse with nice smelling stylers and LIs. That does the trick for me.
Hmm maybe I'm not rinsing long enough. I'm thinking that maybe the culprit. Now when I was rinsing my hair I let the water run through my hair until I could no longer smell it. When I would sweat I would the smell would emerge. It's been almost a week and now the smell isn't as noticeable.