Roll Call: Relaxer Strenght and Hair type

RabiaElaine

Roll Call: Relaxer Strength and Hair type

Hey Ladies,

Trying do decide if I should switch to a mild relaxer for my 4a/b coarse but fine hair.

So I was wondering what strength people were using for their hair type. Here is my information:

1) Relaxer Strength - Regular

2)Hair Type - 4a/b

3)Texture - Coarse but fine

4) Hair Density - Thin

5)Hair Texture after relaxer - Mostly Bone straight, some areas are a little texturized but mostly straight

Last edited:

Crystalicequeen123

Re: Roll Call: Relaxer Strength and Hair type

MY stats: :D

1) Relaxer Strength - Mild (Affirm)
2)Hair Type - 4a/b (mostly 4a, but 4b in the middle)

3)Texture - Fine, and VERY soft

4) Hair Density - LOW hair density. I have to worst of two evils. My hair is not only fine textured, but there's also not a whole lot of it. Low density is a pain. :(

5)Hair Texture after relaxer - Mostly slick straight. I used to be BONE straight with a regular strength, but now I'm slick straight, and some areas a little texturized, but still straight enough for me!

If you ask me (This is just me), if I were you I would choose the mild relaxer first and see how that goes since you have fine hair. I used to think that a mild relaxer couldn't relax my hair the way I wanted it, but after using a GOOD mild relaxer (Affirm), I realized that a mild is even BETTER than a regular for me. My hair is still very straight, but it's thicker, and less "limp" and "flat" looking. My hair has thickened up considerably since switching to a mild relaxer and stretching.

But I have VERY fine hair. So, this may not apply to you. But it works wonders for me! :up: Just my .02. ;)

skegeesmb

1) Relaxer Strength - Super

2)Hair Type - 3b/c 4a

3)Texture - Coarse Coarse Coarse!

4) Hair Density - Thick

5)Hair Texture after relaxer - Texturized. Since I use lye my hair doesn't get bone straight ever. If I used a no-lye relaxer all I would need is regular and it takes any type of curl out. That's what I used to use back in 2001.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Relaxer strength - mild or regular

Hair type - 4a and b

Texture - Medium

Density - Very, very thick

Hair texture after relaxer: I am usually 80% relaxed. I usually have a very slight wave pattern after relaxing that straightens just fine with a rollerset.

RabiaElaine

Crystalicequeen123 said:
MY stats: :D

1) Relaxer Strength - Mild (Affirm)
2)Hair Type - 4a/b (mostly 4a, but 4b in the middle)

3)Texture - Fine, and VERY soft

4) Hair Density - LOW hair density. I have to worst of two evils. My hair is not only fine textured, but there's also not a whole lot of it. Low density is a pain. :(

5)Hair Texture after relaxer - Mostly slick straight. I used to be BONE straight with a regular strength, but now I'm slick straight, and some areas a little texturized, but still straight enough for me!

If you ask me (This is just me), if I were you I would choose the mild relaxer first and see how that goes since you have fine hair. I used to think that a mild relaxer couldn't relax my hair the way I wanted it, but after using a GOOD mild relaxer (Affirm), I realized that a mild is even BETTER than a regular for me. My hair is still very straight, but it's thicker, and less "limp" and "flat" looking. My hair has thickened up considerably since switching to a mild relaxer and stretching.

But I have VERY fine hair. So, this may not apply to you. But it works wonders for me! :up: Just my .02. ;)

My hair is coarse but fine, which makes it difficult to decide. I tried Affirm Mild once my sister did it for me. The roots came out with texturized look. What's hard for me is transitioning from bone straight to this and managing the two textures, (three textures when you have new growth).

SUPER SWEET

1) Relaxer Strength - Mild

2)Hair Type - 4a/b

3)Texture - fine/ soft

4) Hair Density - Thin

5)Hair Texture after relaxer -loose curl almost like a texturizer but not quite as curly

When I used a Regular my hair looked lifeless and NO body.

Crystalicequeen123

RabiaElaine said:
My hair is coarse but fine, which makes it difficult to decide. I tried Affirm Mild once my sister did it for me. The roots came out with texturized look. What's hard for me is transitioning from bone straight to this and managing the two textures, (three textures when you have new growth).

Yeah, it was hard for me too at first managing the many different textures in my hair. But eventually it got better. In fact, I found that it was easier for me to manage newgrowth with a mild relaxer than with a regular. There wasn't such a stark difference btwn my newgrowth and relaxed hair. I just remembered to get a trim every relaxer touch up, and each time I'd be so happy because slowly my thinner (regularstrengh relaxed) hair would be trimmed off, and my NEW healthier thicker hair was slowly coming down and growing. I only have a few thin hairs towards the end now.

Just be patient. If you've already tried Affirm Mild and didn't like it, then maybe this brand of relaxer isn't for you. Or, maybe you could continue using your regular strength relaxer and try lengthening the time between touchups.

RabiaElaine

Crystalicequeen123 said:
[/b]

Yeah, it was hard for me too at first managing the many different textures in my hair. But eventually it got better. In fact, I found that it was easier for me to manage newgrowth with a mild relaxer than with a regular. There wasn't such a stark difference btwn my newgrowth and relaxed hair. I just remembered to get a trim every relaxer touch up, and each time I'd be so happy because slowly my thinner (regularstrengh relaxed) hair would be trimmed off, and my NEW healthier thicker hair was slowly coming down and growing. I only have a few thin hairs towards the end now.

Just be patient. If you've already tried Affirm Mild and didn't like it, then maybe this brand of relaxer isn't for you. Or, maybe you could continue using your regular strength relaxer and try lengthening the time between touchups.

At the time I wasn't prepared to handle the 2 textures. I love Affirm and will never switch. If I do decide to do this I will know this time that I will have 3 textures to work with and I'll just have to deal with it until I am rid of the regular strength hair.

I'm just sick of thin lifeless hair.

cocowhite

Relaxer - No lye to mild relaxer

Hair type - don't know very mixed

Texture - fine and very soft

Hair Density - medium

Hair Texture after relaxer - straight after blow drying / flat ironing

NewYorkgyrl

1) Relaxer Strength - Mild (lye)

2)Hair Type - 4a??? (I am still not sure)

3)Texture - Fine

4) Hair Density - Thin

5)Hair Texture after relaxer - it is mostly bone straight from previous relaxing but now I have a little bit or a curl pattern from the most recent realxer

Queenie

Relaxer - Regular or super

Hair type - 4a (coffee stirrer coils)

Texture - course

Hair Density - thick

Hair Texture after relaxer - texturized