Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge! Any Takers?

LivingDol1

Hi Ladies,

(adding at 6:54pm) here is the official thread:

Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

I was thinking of starting a roller set/protective styling challenge since the other roller setting challenges have expired. Yes, summer is upon us, but there are several who would prefer, or get better results via roller setting than wash 'n gos and air dried braid outs. Let's see if we can stick it to and get good results with growth and healthy ends!

I was thinking that it could be a 6 month challenge. Roller set whenever you wash your hair... at least once a week! Air drying or sitting under a dryer is up to you.

Then, keep your hair styled in a protective style (bun, southern tease, something from the 52 weeks of Protective Styling Thread) every day.

for a 6 month challenge, maybe we could allow 4 passes to wear your hair down with the use of a blow dryer and flat iron... And participants can give a photo update at the 3 month mark and 6 month end of the challenge.

The challenge would start on May 1 2009 and end on Nov 1 2009.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have interest in this challenge? if there is interest, I will start a different thread strictly for the challenge.

Last edited:

HollyGolightly1982

I'm in. I was trying to take part of bootcamp but I have failed miserably. I'm hoping to be full blunt bsl or skimming mbl in six months

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm in! This is what I've been doing for the past few months and I loves it :grin:

LivingDol1

yaay!

i noticed on the other similar challenges, there were several who dropped out of the challenge. do any of you think there is something we can adjust in this challenge so that people won't drop out? i think 4 direct heat passes is generous.

any additional suggestions would be appreciated! :)

LushLox

It would be great for us all to share techniques and tips in how you lovely ladies are roller setting your hair and the results you're getting.

I did the Anchor method tonight; I had tried it before and it was not a great result, but I persevered and tried again tonight, and wow, there really is a noticeable difference as opposed to applying the pins the other way. I only pulled out a couple of rollers to see, but the finish is very silky. I've still got some work to do to perfect this method, but practice makes perfect I guess. :)

tiffers

yaay!
i noticed on the other similar challenges, there were several who dropped out of the challenge. do any of you think there is something we can adjust in this challenge so that people won't drop out? i think 4 direct heat passes is generous.
any additional suggestions would be appreciated! :)
What about challengers giving tips and tricks on how to get the best rollersets. When you start the official challenge thread, you can put all of the tips in the first post so they're easily accessible. This way from the jump, everyone knows everything they can do to get the best results and will be less prone to drop out :)

tiffers

It would be great for us all to share techniques and tips in how you lovely ladies are roller setting your hair and the results you're getting.
I did the Anchor method tonight; I had tried it before and it was not a great result, but I persevered and tried again tonight, and wow, there really is a noticeable difference as opposed to applying the pins the other way. I only pulled out a couple of rollers to see, but the finish is very silky. I've still got some work to do to perfect this method, but practice makes perfect I guess. :)

Aw, you beat me to it! :lol:

Great minds think alike :D

tiffers

Ever since I started rollersetting, I've used magnetic rollers. Recently I stumbled across some old threads about using mesh rollers. Well, I ordered some (Annie brand) from www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com and I've used them for my last two sets. I don't think I'll EVER go back to magnetics.
First off, they're easier to secure than magnetics. I guess the material kind of grips your hair, so you can get the rollers tighter and more secure than with slippery magnetics. Second, my drying time went from 1 1/2 hours to 45 minutes! :shocked:

Last edited:

LivingDol1

What about challengers giving tips and tricks on how to get the best rollersets. When you start the official challenge thread, you can put all of the tips in the first post so they're easily accessible. This way from the jump, everyone knows everything they can do to get the best results and will be less prone to drop out :)

great idea!

i will start the official thread momentarily with rules, list of participants, etc and make sure to include tips and tricks. in the meantime, please feel free to post your tips and add further suggestions. yay. :)

tiffers

Being a big pj, I've tried a lot of leave ins for rollersetting. There have only been 4 that I would recommend, they leave all other leave ins in the dust. Here's the list and what results I get from them...

1) Silky Milk- Soft, smooth, shiny and airy

2) Silicon Mix- Soft, moisturized, smooth

3) Lacio Lacio- Soft, smooth, airy

4) Salerm 21 b5- Soft, smooth, moisturized

tiffers

Tips:
-Always use a serum when rollersetting, you'll get consistant results. Serums will smooth your hair while adding slip and shine
-Less is more. You don't need a ton of product in your hair when rollersetting
-Keep your hair (especially your ends) soaking, dripping wet. Keep a spray bottle full of water nearby and liberally spray each section before combing. Remember how your hair looks on the roller is how it will look once it's dry.
-Detangle each little section with a regular comb and then go back over it with a rattail comb. This will smooth your hair and make the set come out smoother. I've been lazy a few times and left out the rattain comb- BIG difference. My hair wasn't as soft and my ends were kinda frizzy. Not a good look. A rattail comb is a must!
-Rolling upwards helps to smooth newgrowth
-If you want more firm curls, put a little setting lotion in your water bottle. If you want softer hair, plain water will do the trick. You can even add a little bit of oil to the water for extra shine. But don't add too much oil, you don't want your hair oily and weighed down (I learned this the hard way :ohwell: )

Last edited:

tiffers

What's the anchor method?

hothair

I would love to but can't seem to rollerset (or wrap) to save my life:sad::ohwell:

Last edited: