Roller Setting Question

nicky

Okay-- ya'll almost have me convinced that I should try to rollerset my hair (with the flexirods) but I was wondering if I HAVE to do it when my hair is wet? Can I rollerset it dry and maybe use some creamy leave-in as a setting lotion? Cause I don't have a hood dryer and wouldn't have the patience to sit under it for the hour or two it would take my hair to dry /images/graemlins/crazy.gif-- but neither do I have the patience to wait a day or so while my hair air dries /images/graemlins/tongue.gif...

Thanks for the help!

nicky

sweetcocoa

I've never used flexirods, but I have done it with magnetic rollers...I sometimes do the ponytail method of drying on the nights that I have aerobics, then the next evening(when I have more time I use setting lotion on dry hair and roll it up. It definitley cuts out the drying time...but either way you have to dry it wether you do it before or after. I also think you get a 'looser curl' when you don't set it wet...so it won't last as long. Also be careful not to use too much setting lotion(it'll make your hair feel coated) since you don't have the water from your hair being wet to dillute it some. Maybe dillute your setting lotion first. Hope this helps.

VALLEYGIRL

Thanks Sweetcocoa,
I was just thinking about doing this b/c my hair takes forever and a day to dry when I wet set. I didn't realize that the setting lotion will indeed coat your hair b/c of not enough water. Do you use the Lottabody cream wrap set when you do this pony tail method? I was thinking about using this or either Black and Sassy Creamy Set after letting my hair air dry a bit with the smooth magnetic rollers. Or maybe the bottle of Miss Cool that I have collecting dust in my bathroom drawer....tell me what you think Roller Setting Queen!!!
thanks
Valleygirl

sweetcocoa

You are making me blush /images/graemlins/blush.gif
I use the Lottabody creme if my hair is wet. I have used both on slightly damp dry hair when I want to cut back on the drying time. But on hair that is completely dry, I prefer Miss Cool(since it says on the bottle it can be used for dry sets). Either way I apply extra on the ends so they'll smooth out and lay down...adding a little oil if you want...but you really don't need it with Miss Cool.(In my case either my pomade or Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey).

sweetcocoa

For some reason I cannot edit my post above. I wanted to add that my dry sets comes out better with the Miss Cool.

sweetcocoa

It's a creamy pink lotion in a pink bottle by Soft Sheen. I've had this bottle for a long time. Apparently it looks like it's discontinued(tell me it isn't so!!!!). This stuff works so good on a dry set. I'm gonna look around and see if I can find it on line. I hate it when they discontinue making the products I like.... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

nita4

Sweetcocoa or anyone who can answer this question:
Do you find that you get a better set with a setting lotion? I wanted to try a roller set this weekend, but I don't want to use a setting lotion. Also, what about maintentance afterwards?? Do you just sleep on your curls, wrap or what??? Thanks

VALLEYGIRL

thanks
It does say on the bottle that it can be used on dry hair. My friend at work sets her grandmothers hair dry with this. It comes out pretty nice. But I don't know if it natural or relaxed.
Looking at the ingredients on the bottle of Miss Cool they look like regular conditioner ingredients. Stearalklnium Chloride is the main ingredient. But it does work well. (I tested a section of my hair this morning) Doesn't come out as nice and silky as when I do a wet set but good enough.
I hope it is not discontinued. I will try and contact Soft Sheen and see.
I want to wet set my hair more often but like I said it takes forever to dry. Maybe I will try doing it on slightly damp hair with the Miss Cool.
Thanks again Sweet Cocoa ....I knew you wouldn't let me down!!!
Valleygirl

pmichael52172

Miss Cool and I go wayyyyyy back! I'm talking Jr. High school. Miss Cool has been around for a llllooooong time. I've always used it on dry hair and maybe damp hair to like my edges down or put the nape area up in an updo. Back in the days when my mom had me looking like fool with 2 million curls in my head, she used Miss Cool on me.

It's not a runny liquid but actually has the consistency of lotion. I keep it on hand even if I don't use it for months. It's cheap, dependable and works.

sweetcocoa

I never really used or like setting lotions until I tried Lottabody creme for wrapping and setting. Some of the ladies here like to use conditioner. When I was relaxed I never used setting lotion. It depends on what you like. I wrap mine at night or do the ponytail thing. I don't worry too much about losing any curl cause my hair always ends up curling up again slightly on it's own(both when it was relaxed and now that it's natural).