Rollers

gvsugirl

Ok a few questions... Where does everyone get the really large rollers? I have medium and large but i'm talking the extra large like almost the width of a soda can. And what size rollers does everyone use? I want to do a roller wrap and not have to deal with all the curls after i remove the rollers. And how do you hold the hair tight on the rollers with clips cause I always have to use the claps that come with the rollers, but i see that some of the larger rollers dont contain the claps....*takes a breath* ok..sorry for all the questions...

daviine

I don't have any of the really large rollers but I have seen them in the Asian beauty supply stores. Some people use clips and some use bobby pins. I can't really help you there becasue I suck at keeping all of my rollers secure.

Allandra

I've seen large roller (the size of soda cans) at Sally Beauty Supply store. I am still using the purple ones (by Diane). These are the largest I can use with my hooded dryer at home. When I go to the salon for a roller set, the large rollers (the size of soda cans) are used. When I do a roller set, I usually use the clips. Sometimes I use the matching clamp that comes with the roller. I always make sure my hair is taunt on the roller (whether I'm using the matching clamp or the clip). This always makes my rollers nice and snug. I've never seen the large roller (the size of soda cans) with the matching clamp.

I've seen that jumbo size rollar from beauty supplies stores around NYC.

Its tricky keeping the rollar taught and using pins and it takes practice to perfect. I use the pale gray rollars. For me, I just make sure the rollar is being held very tight with my left hand and with my right, I slide a stainless steel clip along the side of the rollar so you feel it slipping in along your head/scalp. Then I switch sides and slip the other clip in the other side of the same rollar, again holding the rollar tight. If on releasing the rollar it feels loose, remove pins and pull the rollar down tighter to the head. Sorry if this sounds a bit confusing

It helps if you have parted the hair properly so that the rest of your hair is clearly away from the rollar you are securing so you have room to slide the pins in neatly and securely.

Amillion has a very good thread on rollar setting hair which was the best thing to help me apply rollars better. Also, whenever at a Dominican salon, I watch them closely to understand the basic principles of rollar setting. For me, I learn alot from just watching them too, then I go home and just practise

sweetcocoa

I have them, but as Allandra said, I can't get a head full of them under my dryer. I will use them on the bottom rows...but all over...it ain't happening for me. I use the purple rollers then, when I do the wrap, I use a little KMS relaxing balm(some oil like jojoba) do my wrap and get back under the dryer (which I am doing now)...

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sweetcocoa said:
back under the dryer (which I am doing now)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm under the dryer too (for the past 65 minutes). I'm going to take a short recess (since it's time for dinner).

Kaela

I use the larger rollers (not quite as big as soda cans) and I find that I have to start rolling the back sections first, and start at the top/crown of my head. I am completely inept with using the straight pins, so I use large bobby pins. I also find that it helps to use metal clips to clamp two rollers together while working with another section so I don't knock it loose. If a rolled section seems too loose, I just use a bobby pin to secure it to an adjacent roller. I don't use a lot of product on my hair, so it doesn't affect drying time having them clipped to each other.

This ended up being harder to explain than I thought...I hope that made some sense....

gvsugirl

Thank you all so much! I'm gonna go to sallys tuesday and pick up some of those large soda can size rollers!...and just my luck, i'll see some new shampoo and conditioners i dont need but want just cause the bottle looks pretty..