Rollersetters.....

mahogany_horizons

Hi Ladies...

I have finally got my rollersets down. Even my mother has said they look nice. But I have a question for you all...are any of you able to get your roots considerably straight without flat ironing the roots? I am asking this because I have VERY WAVY HAIR, it's not unruly, but it is EXTREMELY wavy, and there is nothing I can do to prevent the wavy roots EVEN THOUGH THE ROLLERS ARE VERY TIGHT. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

BostonMaria

Hmmm....
The only way I can get rid of it is either a blowdryer, brushing out my hair and putting it in a tight ponytail and putting shea butter on the sides, or using a flatiron.

camilla

I did the dominican blow out way. ROOTS ONLY with a round brush i spritz a little water on the root only then blow out check you tube lorraine and macherie amour the have tutorials type in blow out roots

yuriko

I did the dominican blow out way. ROOTS ONLY with a round brush i spritz a little water on the root only then blow out check you tube lorraine and macherie amour the have tutorials type in blow out roots

what she said

India*32

Hi,

Gennifer Miller from Healthy Textures has a Guide to Roller Setting which I purchased was very informative. She suggest after removing rollers, spray each section with water using a spray bottle then use a blow dryer to smooth the roots. Then she uses Sara Wrap (plastic Wrap) technique. Use a moisturizer then wrap, apply saran wrap and sit under dryer for 20 minutes. You can google her website. HealthyTextures. I hope this helps.

Happy Rollersetting.

p.s.

I haven't tried since I purchased my new professional hair dryer. I have to set it up. But, I'm sure i'll be okay.

Last edited:

Allandra

Hi Ladies...

I have finally got my rollersets down. Even my mother has said they look nice. But I have a question for you all...are any of you able to get your roots considerably straight without flat ironing the roots? I am asking this because I have VERY WAVY HAIR, it's not unruly, but it is EXTREMELY wavy, and there is nothing I can do to prevent the wavy roots EVEN THOUGH THE ROLLERS ARE VERY TIGHT. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Have you tried wrapping and doing the silk wrap technique (aka Saran Wrap)? Sometimes that helps, but not as much as blowing out the roots or flat ironing the roots.

Artemis

Hi,

Gennifer Miller from Healthy Textures has a Guide to Roller Setting which I purchased was very informative. She suggest after removing rollers, spray each section with water using a spray bottle then use a blow dryer to smooth the roots. Then she uses Sara Wrap (plastic Wrap) technique. Use a moisturizer then wrap, apply saran wrap and sit under dryer for 20 minutes. You can google her website. HealthyTextures. I hope this helps.

Happy Rollersetting.

p.s.

I haven't tried since I purchased my new professional hair dryer. I have to set it up. But, I'm sure i'll be okay.

FYI: This is Macherieamour. She was a member on this board for a long time :yep:

Hey Mahogany!! I have been watching the stylists at my regular shop, and the Dominicans, and they are pulling the hair taut and straight up in the air to get the roots straight (y'know, removing any slack in the length). I've been doing this the past couple of wash days, and it's been helping. I do still blow out the roots after the set is dry, but I don't have to work so hard, and if I wanted to I could just wrap my hair from there if I get it just right :up:

Saran wrapping is hit-or-miss w/my hair, so I won't comment on that...
HTH :)

mahogany_horizons

GREAT TIPS LADIES...THANK YOU SO MUCH. I will check out the you tube links suggested. I have never tried the saran wrapping technique. I am afraid I will goof it and mess up my already straight ends LOL. I need to look into all this stuff!

mahogany_horizons

FYI: This is Macherieamour. She was a member on this board for a long time :yep:

Hey Mahogany!! I have been watching the stylists at my regular shop, and the Dominicans, and they are pulling the hair taut and straight up in the air to get the roots straight (y'know, removing any slack in the length). I've been doing this the past couple of wash days, and it's been helping. I do still blow out the roots after the set is dry, but I don't have to work so hard, and if I wanted to I could just wrap my hair from there if I get it just right :up:

Saran wrapping is hit-or-miss w/my hair, so I won't comment on that...
HTH :)

So I guess even though I thought the roller was tight, I must not be getting it tight enough. I thought it was tight at the root...it's the space under the roller that is so wavy when I take out the rollers.

Crysdon

When I roll my hair under (as opposed to over), it usually gets the roots very straight. Roll your hair as though you are wearing a flip hairstyle.

KinksnCurlz

I was just about to suggest rolling under as opposed to over. Also, if that doesn't work, use a fine tooth comb, and a blow dryer (with a nozzle).

mahogany_horizons

Thanks to you as well.

the blowdryer and the comb will get it straight too? I do have a fine tooth comb....I also have a comb attachment for the blowdryer. should I use this or no?

TLC1020

I would like to know how you get the straight look also, I did my rollerset which came out cute but it was still curly but I want the straight look so that I won't have to flat iron my hair. :ohwell:

PGirl

I like to moisturize and wrap with the saran wrap method after rollersetting if I'm less than 7 weeks post and it usually works just fine. After I'm 7 weeks post I have to flat iron my roots with heat protectant. I tried "blowing out" the roots and I am not skilled enough unfortunately. :ohwell:

Carrie A

Someone else I saw separated the wet hair into small sections and used used ouchless bands to secure the roots. Then went about the roller set as usual. The roots came out very straight without having to use direct heat. I'll be trying this method when I do my first roller set on natural hair.

dcprdiva

I just leave my hair wavy when I rollerset. It just doesn't make sense to me to rollerset (low heat) and then add direct heat on it. But that's just me. I'll try rolling in the opposite direction like you suggest - but I don't see me blow-drying my roots.

mahogany_horizons

Someone else I saw separated the wet hair into small sections and used used ouchless bands to secure the roots. Then went about the roller set as usual. The roots came out very straight without having to use direct heat. I'll be trying this method when I do my first roller set on natural hair.

what an interesting idea!! I may have to try that as well!!

mahogany_horizons

I just leave my hair wavy when I rollerset. It just doesn't make sense to me to rollerset (low heat) and then add direct heat on it. But that's just me. I'll try rolling in the opposite direction like you suggest - but I don't see me blow-drying my roots.

I DO AS WELL EXCEPT FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS, and I agree with you, but I'm looking for a super sleek look for regular occasions.

gissellr78

Hi Ladies...

Girllllllll....forget it....I wont get the root straight even when they do my rollers at dominican salon i go to....they straigten them with the blower!

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Hi Ladies...

I just took down my rollerset, flat-ironed the roots, and just finished sitting under the dryer w/ saran wrap. I don't think its possible, at least for me, to get my roots straight no matter how tight the rollers seem to be. Even at the salon, they still blow the roots.