Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

xmasbaby78

I am refusing to flat iron too!!! I get it set on the green rollers and then roll it at night on the 2 piece pink rollers. I use a flexi rod when I wear it in a ponytail so I may try them all over tonight. I hate sleeping with rollers, I toss and turn all night and if I only wear a bonnet at night my hair will definitely be busted the next day!

xmasbaby78

welcome to all the new challengers!! :grin:
@curlybeauty, girl i love long posts! i've been sleeping on end papers forever, i guess i'll have to get some...
@xmasbaby, your hair looks soo lovely!! :love: i really like how you styled it.
to answer your question, i don't reroll at night because i've been doing spiral sets (flexirods) and braid n curls. so i just pineapple it-get all the curls to the crown of my head and cover it with my bonnet.
but maybe when i do a magnetic set with larger curls, i'll reroll-sounds like a good idea.

ummmm, "pineapple it" now that may work!

Curlybeauty

I maintain mines by pin curling them at night basically. I'm going to try to keep up with the pinning but when the set gets old I just throw a bonnet on and go :look:

isioma85

Starting Length/Goal Length: SL/APL

Why You Rollerset: I'm trying to reduce the amount or direct heat I use to style my hair when it is not under my protective weave. I normally flat iron at REALLY high heat and I want to reduce that with another option for styling.

How Often: Probably twice a month since that's how often I un-hide my hair

Products: Isoplus wrap lotion, Fantasia IC Styling Gel, Herbal Essences None Of Your Frizzness Smoothing Leave In Creme.

Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) Magnetic rollers and clamp rollers (3 different sizes in all), Jumbo bobby pins, rat tail comb, hand dryer on cool setting. I air dried my roller set and only used the hand dryer right before I took the rollers out. I did one final burst of heated air and that was it.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:
DON'T USE TOO MUCH PRODUCT! I made the mistake of equating more wrap lotion to better styling and hold :nono: Easy does it, and less is more :yep:

1ST ROLLERSET (BAD :crazy: )

Mistakes made:

• used too much styling lotion 1:1 mixture was way too strong
  • did not use a leave in conditioner, that joint was dry like the desert yo :ohwell:
  • used one size rollers all over my head
  • did not use enough rollers (large spaces between them :nono: )
  • did not give it enough time to dry

2ND ROLLERSET (GOOD :clap: )

Things I changed:

• used larger rollers at center of head (longer hair there and it made it dry SO much faster)
  • used a leave in conditioner (Herbal Essences None of Your Frizzness is the BOMB I tell you :sweet: )
  • used endwraps
  • applied extra leave in on ends
  • used weaker wrap lotion:water ratio
I really love the way the hair turned out :love: I'm still really messy with my technique, stray hair all over the place :lol: but I know I'll get better with practice :pray:

niknakmac

isioma, what a difference the right technique makes. my first roller set i used too much product as well and it was dry and crunchy too.

Yeah!!! for your second try it looks sooooooooooo pretty. I'm off to deep condition and rollerset mine now!!!

wow if i could be as commited to exercise as i am to rollersetting i would be slim and trim!!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@isioma, your set came out so nice!! congrats on that.
thanks for the video link-i just bought end papers as well.

Rollerset pics from today

Attachments

• Roller set.jpg
    Roller set.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@Long-n-strong, your rollerset came out beautifully!
i also think your grays are so lovely, btw...

ETA: Anyone rollersetting tonight for the week?
I'm not. This braid n curl will have to stay for a while, because I'm away from home, and I don't have any of my products/tools with me. Plus, my hair enjoys less manipulation anyways. I wanna see just how long I can make this style last-the longest I've gone is 5 days, but I feel like it can probably go longer-maybe 7 days:drunk:

Last edited:

Nameless

Hey, I rollerset weekly put I have a problem with making them last. Maybe it's because I just use water and my leave in but after a bit of time, the curls drop :sad:

Any suggestions?

How are you ladies wearing your rollersets for days at a time? How do you maintain it at night?

I usually do one of two things. I'll finger separate my hair into sections twist each one and pin curl. Alternately I make a high ponytail (really high, basically on top of my head) and use a sock as if I were making a sock bun but I bring the sock all the way to the tip of my hair and start rolling it in. I change where I put the ponytail to avoid stressing my hair. I've done it for years but I hate sleeping on rollers. I saw it on youtube. I believe she may be a member, but I'm not sure.

YouTube - How to curl your hair with a sock! No heat

HTH

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Hey, I rollerset weekly put I have a problem with making them last. Maybe it's because I just use water and my leave in but after a bit of time, the curls drop :sad:

Any suggestions?
I think using a holding agent will help you. I love Elasta QP foam wrap and my sets still come out very soft. the key is not using too much.
Alternatively, diluted Lottabody will give you some hold.
How are you ladies wearing your rollersets for days at a time? How do you maintain it at night?
i usually "pineapple" my curls-i pile them on top of my head and then place my satin bonnet over it. flexirods are also great for maintaining larger curls.

lovelexi

Starting Length/Goal Length: SL and my short term goal length is APL
Why You Rollerset: Stable, consistent results. Also limits direct heat on my hair.
How Often: About every 4-7 days
Products: Jane Carter Leave in or Kimmaytube Leave In depends on my mood and Water
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) I use the rollers with the covers on it. It's easier. I use a fine tooth comb but not the really fine one. Also I make sure to saturate each section with enough water.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: I don't have any special secret but to just keep practicing.

CaramelKissed

I am soo in!

Starting Length/Goal Length:
Right Past Shoulder Length/Unsure since I am transitioning

Why You Rollerset:
Because it is a low maintenance style, which matched my super active and overcommitted lifestyle. Now that I am transitioning, rollersets are a wee bit more challenging, so I think I am going to try the cold wave rod sets since they last longer.

How Often:
1x week, anything else would be uncivilized to my wrists!

Products:
NTM Leave-In
Spray Bottle of Water
ULI Foam Wrap (which is not a fav, but I plan to use it up until I run out!)

Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?)
Wide tooth come, smaller-tooth comb
Currently using magnetic rollers, red and purple
Metal Clips
Large Hair Net (to keep my hair from catching)
Pibbs

I split into 4 quarters and roll "up" starting from the back of my hair. I complete one half of my head and then move to the other. I find my roots are straighter and I do not worry about running out of room when I get to the top of my head.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:
Patience, patience, patience! It's very easy to have detangled hair and then tangled hair during the rollersetting process, which can make you go from 0 to 10, lol. It gets easier, or at least more manageable.

CaramelKissed

This week roller set still holding up..

..removed image..

I'm rolling my hair at night to maintain my set, is anyone else having to do this? Or in other words, how is everyone maintaining their rollerset?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I invested in some satin rollers (mesh rollers with a satin cover) and I just roll every night and shake out in the morning. Anything else would flatten my hair! These are pretty comfy to sleep in too!

P.S. Sorry the image is soo big, still working this posting thing out!

Bouncin&Behavin

I just wanted to say that I LOVE rollersetting my hair! I always wanted to do it in the past, but I was impatient and had a crappy dryer, so it never worked out for me. It has been 8 weeks since my last relaxer and my hair looks great! I have no plans on relaxing any time soon. This is HUGE for me b/c I have 4b hair and used to relax every 4-6 weeks (yikes!) and use the flat iron every day! Thank God for LHCF!

I wanted to show comparison shots of my hair right after taking down the rollers last night and my hair this morning after spending the night in my tip-top sock bun and silk bonnet. If I do this nightly or even every other night the curls will last all week. I prefer having the added volume and the loose curls near the ends. Without doing the sock bun it usually takes 2-3 days before it will start looking like this, but now I can get the effect immediately. Well I'm off to hide my hair for the challenge.

Attachments

• DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 173
  • After the sock bun.jpg
    After the sock bun.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 202

CaramelKissed

Checking in and rolling up!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Your curls are fabulous and they look super soft! What products (i.e. foam, serum, etc) do you (stylist) use to set your hair? I can get a great curl that "collapses" the next day.

Sidebar to the masses: Is it normal to have a hard time wrapping, usually after a roller set, transitioning hair? Forgive me if this has been asked already!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Starting Length/Goal Length: APL/MBL
Why You Rollerset: no idea, last resort i guess
How Often: probably every 2 weeks
Products: serum
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) magnetic rollers and bonnet dryer
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: let your hair dry completely and thoroughly detangle!
the first and last time i did a set was atrocious and these things contributed to the atrocity.

xmasbaby78

@CaramelKissed....Thanks, my stylist uses the green magnetic rollers and I follow up my pink rollers or my flexirods at night! I've been using Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Hair Serum, Coconut Oil or my Castor Oil in rotation.

If you are having a hard time wrapping after your rollerset you may be using too much product on your hair.

@Long-n-Strong_Naturally....I have that same hair clamp :)

ETA: How do you multiquote?:help:

Last edited:

destine2grow

I did my first rollerset on Tuesday night and it waas okay! i could have made the rollers tighter and my hair could have been a little wetter 2 help get my ng straight! I like the combo of products i used! My hair was soft!

I used aphogee foarm wrap and sallys GVP silk infusion! I also had a spray bottle with water and olive oil! i am going 2 add some aloe vera gel to the mix next time.

The down side is when i wrapped my hair the curls was gone! I didnt use a hooded dryer b/c i havent purchased on yet! i am saving 2 order 1 from salons r us! I think I'm just going 2 sleep with my satin bonnet on and not wrap my hair! Any suggestions?