Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

LushLox

Sorry I'm so late with my pics and answers to the OP :blush:

Starting Length/Goal Length: After recent trim just above APL

Why You Rollerset: Because I adore curls, and waves, I prefer curly hair to straight. I prefer roller setting to air drying as my ends are smooth and silky and the results last until my next wash

How Often: No more than twice weekly, but currently just once a week.

Products: I am currently using HairVeda Whipped Ends and Orofluido Serum (it's like Morrocanoil)

Techniques/Tools: Bonnet dryer, magnetic rollers

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: I think it's been said in the main, I can slack on some things, but the one thing I cannot slack on is ensuring that the set is dry it absolute MUST be bone dry or I just won't get the type of style I want to achieve.

A few pics:-

Last edited:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@CaramelKissed....Thanks, my stylist uses the green magnetic rollers and I follow up my pink rollers or my flexirods at night! I've been using Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Hair Serum, Coconut Oil or my Castor Oil in rotation.

If you are having a hard time wrapping after your rollerset you may be using too much product on your hair.

@Long-n-Strong_Naturally....I have that same hair clamp :)

ETA: How do you multiquote?:help3:

you press the multiquote button as many times as you want, then the last post you want to quote, you press the quote button.:yep: your set looks lovely! do you flatiron your edges afterwards-they get so smooth.

Welcome to new challengers! @CreamTee, your hair is lovely!

SuchaLady

I am in after a must needed but unwanted trim I dont want to mess up my lovely ends.

Starting Length/Goal Length: Unsure my ends are too bumped right now/ APL then full BSL then finally MBL (I was almost already there :( )
Why You Rollerset: Never was a fan of flat irons. Airdrying for me after too many weeks post relaxer is a no go for me
How Often: 1x per week
Products:I believe I am about to try Proclaim's Setting Lotion, Aphogee Green Tea, and Pro-Vit
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?): Magnetic. Getting ready to purchase larger rollers. I go for a straighter look. I think purple. It just doesnt seem possible to get all those gray rollers on my head. I also am planning on using the saran method just to get it straight.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Im too new at this to give advice :lol:
I just want to add that at night I will probably use flexis on dry hair after M&S

xmasbaby78

you press the multiquote button as many times as you want, then the last post you want to quote, you press the quote button.:yep: your set looks lovely! do you flatiron your edges afterwards-they get so smooth.

Welcome to new challengers! @CreamTee, your hair is lovely!

Thanks!! No I don't flat iron, I lay my edges down with Ampro Shine and Jam, its smells LOVELY!!!

LushLox

Is it best to use setting lotions or Leave-in conditioners for roller setting?

Personally I prefer to use leave-ins. Setting lotions are good if you want your hair to stay set in the style all day, but I don't like how my hair feels when I use setting lotion. I prefer the more natural and soft result that I get from using my leave in.

destine2grow

@ ElegantPearl it depends on the individual! I have only tried with a setting lotion! I like the results. My hair was soft and shiny!

Curlybeauty

My hair is in a bun this week. I'm done fighting with my roots. I usually stretch my relaxers longer, but since i'm not using direct heat...I'm getting a touch up. I will be back in action soon.

I use setting lotion on my sets, but my first one ever I didn't. It was a very soft and bouncy set. However, my lifestyle doesn't allow me to wet set my hair more than 1x a week so I prefer some hold to mines. I use vitale lotion but I hate it. I'm just trying to use it up right now :look: and that goes for my silken child spray leave in...I prefer creamy..

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i prefer setting lotions, because i prefer a hold to my sets.
did anyone rollerset this weekend? i didn't get a chance, so i'm just wearing a wet bun. hopefully, i'll get to set sometime later this week.

Angelicus

Starting Length/Goal Length: I am APL currently but I've been several lengths since I've been on board, ranging from neck length to almost waist length (dang i want my hair back).

Why You Rollerset: Because I hate wearing ponytails and buns. It keeps my ends very smooth and it creates a classy look. No matter the length of my hair, it always looks healthy.

How Often: I roller set at least once a week.

Products: Pre-treat with oil or mayo mixes. Always deep condition, My leave-in is usually just conditioner. Right now I like using VS So Sexy Conditioner as a Leave-in because it smells so good. I'm a PJ so I use different things.

Techniques/Tools: Currently I use different magnetic rollers, ranging from Red (1-1/2''), Purple (1-3/4''), Gray (2") to Green (3"). I use a rattail comb that easily glides through my hair.

I like to spray or wet my hair before putting on the roller. I like to get the rollers wet too. I'm too fickle to use end papers but one of these days I will get the hang of it.

I also section my hair in braids before washing and detangle in the shower with a Conair Shower Comb after deep conditioning (Crown and Glory Technique). This speeds up my roller setting time. My hair is very thick but I am usually done in less than 45 minutes.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: It's important to have dry hair before removing the rollers but don't stay there too long. Overdrying causes frizziness.

bride91501

Can I join this challenge for my daughter?? She just started middle school and is asking to wear her hair out more....thought this would be a good compromise :grin:

(If it's against the rules I promise I'll bow out quietly...lol)

Below is her information:

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL- Current; MBL by Dec 2011 (hair type- 4b)
Why You Rollerset: Gives the look of wearing her hair "out" (her wants) while also being low-manipulation (mommy's wants :grin:)
How Often: Weekly....maybe bi-weekly if I make the curls small enough
Products: I'll be experimenting and will need some help....maybe ORS lock & twist gel mixed with AVG, a little water & oils?
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) We have lots of flexirods, so I'll start with those. Her hair is THICK and takes FOREVER to dry.....I'll probably put her under the soft bonnet dryer for 30-45 minutes then let her airdry overnight.
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: I'm a newbie at this, so I'll be looking for advice :yep:

Thanks ladies!

Last edited:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Starting Length/Goal Length: APL/MBL
Why You Rollerset: no idea, last resort i guess
How Often: probably every 2 weeks
Products: serum
Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?) magnetic rollers and bonnet dryer
Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: let your hair dry completely and thoroughly detangle!
the first and last time i did a set was atrocious and these things contributed to the atrocity.

i tired to rollerset on saturday and it was one gigantic phail from start to phinish.:lachen:i couldn't get the rollers tight enough and i kept taking hair from the wrong places. it was a mess.

i looked at YT videos and searched threads and i still couldn't get it down so i just ended up flat ironing which i really didn't want to do.:nono:

how are y'all naturals doing it? i'm relaxed but i'm a few months post and my relaxed hair is still very kinky. i think it'd be a lot easier if i was bone straight.

niknakmac

I use a leave in conditiner and some serum usually PM super Skinny. I ran out of the Super Skinny and tried some QP setting lotion last week. Let's just say it sucked. My hair came out hard and dry. I will stick with some Super Skinny and some CHI. It was a good thing i wasn't going anywhere. I ended up mostturizing and putting in some fleix rods for the remainder of the day. I am only about 9 weeks post but my new growth is no joke. I don't know if I was under processed last time or if my hair is growing. I am hoping its growth. I am really trying to push it to 12 weeks but i don't know.

I can say my hair is getting much healthier though I am losing very little hair even using the rattail after my wash and very little breakage. These were my main problems so rollersetting is here to stay.

It still takes me forever though i can't wait until i can roll my hair in less than an hour.

CaramelKissed

@CaramelKissed....Thanks, my stylist uses the green magnetic rollers and I follow up my pink rollers or my flexirods at night! I've been using Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Hair Serum, Coconut Oil or my Castor Oil in rotation.

If you are having a hard time wrapping after your rollerset you may be using too much product on your hair.

Thanks lady! I wish I could say it was a product issue. I can use a serum and water and still cannot wrap! I am sure it has to do with my roots not being all the way straight. A personal goal for myself!

Curlybeauty

When I get this fresh relaxer I may attempt a roller wrap...but I just like the curls way too much right now. I might ask her to do it for me when I get my hair done on Saturday. But I may need a trim and I don't want any mistakes with that one :nono:

PinkAngel

Are any of you blow drying your roots (dominican blow out) after roller setting? I'm in the market for a good blow dryer, what dryer are you using?

TIA

MrsHdrLe

I hope you all don't mind, but I wondered if an air dried caruso set on texlaxed hair could give shiny, bouncy results, and guess what.....

It worked !!!!

I know I'm not in the challenge, but I thought I'd give some an option to straight roller setting wet. It just takes soooo long for my hair to dry, I dried in an updo/bun, then used the Carusos the next day, evening actually.

I cowashed with Suave, Shea Butter condish and sealed with Lacio Lacio. Then once my hair was dry, I used the extra large rollers on the front and large/medium ones on the back. Left them in about 15 min (timed). Then ran my hands through to fluff and separate a little. What amazes me most is that the hair actually moves, swings, and bounces.

Attachments

• P1050680.jpg
    P1050680.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 150
  • P1050678.jpg
    P1050678.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 135

Shana'

Im in.......

Starting Length/Goal Length:
1 inch from BSL/ WL

Why You Rollerset:
Its the easist and healthiest way for me to dry hair

How Often:
Currently, once a week, however I would like to change that to 2x weekly. Also when I'm deep into a stretch, cheat sets are a lifesaver.

Products:
Aphogee Pro-Vitamin L/I, Keracare Foam, NTM L/I and a spray bottle w/ water. This combo leaves me with a shiny, moisturized and swingy set.

Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?)
Mowhawk Method using gray and purple magnetic rollers. Every blue moon I'll do a flexi set with the long gray and purple rods(idk what size they are)
I have standing Hot Tools dryer, the Purple People Heater.
*If I have the time, I will airdry my sets, esp in the summer.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:
:look:, I have 3 pieces.........
1. Have all of your tools and products out and ready for use.
2. Detangled and pre-section the hair prior to rolling
3. Practice makes perfect.

Update............
I used Aphogee Pro-vitamin and Green Tea for my set last night. It came out great, I think I have a new combo.

LushLox

I'm seriously thinking about completely reducing my dependency in using heat to rollerset my hair. I may just try air drying in rollers for a while. Only thing is how long it will take to dry, might try it tonight.

I'm not sure if roller setting without a dryer is acceptable to the challenge though?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i tired to rollerset on saturday and it was one gigantic phail from start to phinish.:lachen:i couldn't get the rollers tight enough and i kept taking hair from the wrong places. it was a mess.

i looked at YT videos and searched threads and i still couldn't get it down so i just ended up flat ironing which i really didn't want to do.:nono:

how are y'all naturals doing it? i'm relaxed but i'm a few months post and my relaxed hair is still very kinky. i think it'd be a lot easier if i was bone straight.
as a natural, i really don't worry too much about getting at my roots. i rely on the flat-iron to help smooth them out, honestly.:yep:

Are any of you blow drying your roots (dominican blow out) after roller setting? I'm in the market for a good blow dryer, what dryer are you using?

TIA
I don't blowdry my roots, but I'll bump your question so you can get an answer.
I do use a Wigo blowdryer that works very well when i'm blowdrying before straightening (i'm natural), but flatironing my roots after a rollerset works out best.
I hope you all don't mind, but I wondered if an air dried caruso set on texlaxed hair could give shiny, bouncy results, and guess what.....

It worked !!!!

I know I'm not in the challenge, but I thought I'd give some an option to straight roller setting wet. It just takes soooo long for my hair to dry, I dried in an updo/bun, then used the Carusos the next day, evening actually.

I cowashed with Suave, Shea Butter condish and sealed with Lacio Lacio. Then once my hair was dry, I used the extra large rollers on the front and large/medium ones on the back. Left them in about 15 min (timed). Then ran my hands through to fluff and separate a little. What amazes me most is that the hair actually moves, swings, and bounces.
your hair turned out lovely!!
thanks for sharing :D

I'm seriously thinking about completely reducing my dependency in using heat to rollerset my hair. I may just try air drying in rollers for a while. Only thing is how long it will take to dry, might try it tonight.

I'm not sure if roller setting without a dryer is acceptable to the challenge though?
That's certainly fine!! I wish my hair didn't take forever to dry-I would definitely wake up to wet hair if I tried that.

CaramelKissed

Just past due, just past due! Anywho, I rolled last week and this week.

1st two thumbnails are from last week and the 2nd 3 are from this week. Pardon the feather.. I was going to a Old Hollywood themed event and wanted my hair curly and big!

Attachments

• IMG_1491_small.JPG
    IMG_1491_small.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1499_small.JPG
    IMG_1499_small.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1584_small.JPG
    IMG_1584_small.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1588_small.JPG
    IMG_1588_small.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1594_small.JPG
    IMG_1594_small.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 187

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
^^Really cute, CaramelKissed!
I'm FINALLY gonna be setting tonight-it's been a rough week, nothing but wet buns. I think i'll do a braid n curl, i don't have energy for anything else right now.

afjhnsn

Starting Length/Goal Length: SL / Goal for 2011 is full APL

Why You Rollerset: It looks nicer than bunning, which I am when I'm not rollersetting. And I love curls

How Often: Not sure yet ... maybe 2-3 times/week.. possibly more often as the year progresses

Products: Lacio lacio, salerm, argan oil, joico k pak protect & shine serum mixed w/jojoba oil, argan oil & silk amino acids (& JBCO for my edges & nape)

Techniques/Tools: : Flexi rods are <3 / I air dry.. My hooded dryer is kind of ...crap. hehe

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Make sure the hair is pulled taut, but not too tightly or you'll be wondering why you still have all sorts of breakage and pain in certain parts of your head >_<

Last edited:

xmasbaby78

Just past due, just past due! Anywho, I rolled last week and this week.

1st two thumbnails are from last week and the 2nd 3 are from this week. Pardon the feather.. I was going to a Old Hollywood themed event and wanted my hair curly and big!

Very pretty!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
bumping!!
who's setting tonight for the week?
i am. i said i was going to yesterday, but it never happened. :look:

ElegantPearl17

Ladies...I have been roller setting 1-2 times a week for a while now and I still can't seem to combat frizz!!!!! My hair will be cute and sleek the first night and then the following day it will start to frizz...any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Curlybeauty

Ladies...I have been roller setting 1-2 times a week for a while now and I still can't seem to combat frizz!!!!! My hair will be cute and sleek the first night and then the following day it will start to frizz...any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Girl you gon have to do better than that. Let us hear some products :look:
:lol:

ElegantPearl17

:grin:: Ok...somehow I knew I would have to post more.... here ya go!

Starting Length/Goal Length: APL / Goal for 2011 is full BSL

Why You Rollerset: I want to prevent breakage/thinning at my hairline so I am trying to rollerset more.

How Often: 1-2 times/week. I don't think I have enough patience to do it more than that.

Products: Lacio lacio, Mizani leave-in detangler, argan oil. I really am having a hard time finding products that work for my hair. I also have experimented with Design Essentials setting foam. <---- this is the area I need the most help with. My hair is extremely porous and it seems no matter what I use my hair is always dry. I have even tried Roux porosity control and I still have frizziness the next day :perplexed

Techniques/Tools: My hooded dryer which is crap! I am trying to decide if I should buy a Pibbs. I use red and purple rollers with the duck bill clips. I can rollerset my entire head in about 30-45 minutes.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: None...cuz my sets are not turning out very nice!:sad: