Rollersetting 2011! (Challenge, Tips, Techniques, etc.)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
@ElegantPearl, you mentioned you think you might have a moisture problem. What are you using to deep condition?

bride91501

Ok, so I gave my DD her first rollerset last night....I am exhausted! But, we got through it lol. Here's what I did.

-Pre-poo'd for 45 minutes using Chicoro's recipe, & shampoo'd with V05 Clarifying Shampoo.
-DC'd with heat for 40 minutes using Lustrasilk Olive Oil DC mixed with jojoba oil/castor oil, Aphogee 2 minute & a little glycerin. Detangled her hair in sections before putting her under the dryer.
-Applied Aphogee's leave-in conditioner mixed with sunflower oil
-Set the rods using ORS Lock & Twist gel mixed with a little water, AVG, IC serum and a bit of setting lotion.
-Under the dryer for 3 HOURS :blush: PLUS she air-dried overnight in the rods.

Ok...the pics are below. And don't judge me for the sponge rollers (I know they're drying lol), but we ran out of rods 75% of the way through. I have to say, the rollerset stretched her 4b hair really well.

I need feedback ladies....so don't be shy! She does like it though, and the bow was her idea :grin: I just hope it can last 7-10 days. So what do you guys think??

Rods first put in...it was late and she wasn't happy lol

Rods removed this morning- Pre-fluff

Posting fluffing

sunnieb

I will be heavily lurking in this thread for rollersetting tips. I'm planning to take the plunge and become a self-relaxer later this year.

I won't use a flat iron or blow dryer after relaxing, just rollerset and airdry.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

xmasbaby78

bumping!!
who's setting tonight for the week?
i am. i said i was going to yesterday, but it never happened. :look:

I am or should I say I did!!

Ok, so I gave my DD her first rollerset last night....I am exhausted! But, we got through it lol. Here's what I did.

-Pre-poo'd for 45 minutes using Chicoro's recipe, & shampoo'd with V05 Clarifying Shampoo.
-DC'd with heat for 40 minutes using Lustrasilk Olive Oil DC mixed with jojoba oil/castor oil, Aphogee 2 minute & a little glycerin. Detangled her hair in sections before putting her under the dryer.
-Applied Aphogee's leave-in conditioner mixed with sunflower oil
-Set the rods using ORS Lock & Twist gel mixed with a little water, AVG, IC serum and a bit of setting lotion.
-Under the dryer for 3 HOURS :blush: PLUS she air-dried overnight in the rods.

Ok...the pics are below. And don't judge me for the sponge rollers (I know they're drying lol), but we ran out of rods 75% of the way through. I have to say, the rollerset stretched her 4b hair really well.

I need feedback ladies....so don't be shy! She does like it though, and the bow was her idea :grin: I just hope it can last 7-10 days. So what do you guys think??

Rods first put in...it was late and she wasn't happy lol

Rods removed this morning- Pre-fluff

Posting fluffing

Your daughter's hair turned out really pretty!

nappystorm

Here's a tip for the natural rollersetters: To get rid of the curly/wavy roots, apply gel or a water-based moisturizer to the roots and pull the hair back in a ponytail or two pigtails, it doesn't have to be really tight. Make sure the hair is dry before you take down the ponytail. The moisture + the tension will straighten the roots and you will still have the big curls on the ends.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Here's a tip for the natural rollersetters: To get rid of the curly/wavy roots, apply gel or a water-based moisturizer to the roots and pull the hair back in a ponytail or two pigtails, it doesn't have to be really tight. Make sure the hair is dry before you take down the ponytail. The moisture + the tension will straighten the roots and you will still have the big curls on the ends.
hmmm, thanks for that. i'll have to try it. i've just been flat-ironing my roots. or just leaving them alone, lol.:look:

@bride, your daughter and her hair are sooo cute!! thanks for sharing!! and her little bow....awwwww.... :love:

Curlybeauty

Products: Lacio lacio, Mizani leave-in detangler, argan oil. I really am having a hard time finding products that work for my hair. I also have experimented with Design Essentials setting foam. <---- this is the area I need the most help with. My hair is extremely porous and it seems no matter what I use my hair is always dry. I have even tried Roux porosity control and I still have frizziness the next day :perplexed

this is a problem for me too. I am having a hard time with my porosity...:nono:

Update on me...

I got a relaxer :yay:

And a trim, and i'm glad to say that i'm not bald headed :look:
:lol:

I'm anxious to do my first wash after the fresh relxer to get the feel of my hair back. Relaxed ladies know what I mean. She used Design Essentias, and it got my hair SKRAIGHT !!

I will probably rollerset by the end of the week, or the start of the next one. I'm too excited to see how my sets will look now that i'm not fighting my roots :drunk:

SuchaLady

Hair is long overdue. Package from Sallys came yesterday! Yay. Going to deep condition while I take my nap (college student, sigh) and hopefully rollerset then put in satin covered foam rollers.

blackberry815

Ladies with my last rollerset I noticed some breakage.. I don't know if its from all the manipulation with rollersets. I was trying to be patient during the process but my hair was so tangly and had almost no slip after deep conditioning and using lacio lacio and silken child leave in detangler.. I don't know what the problem is because it was fine last week. The only thing I did different was a hard protein treatment but I wouldn't think that would be a problem with the deep conditioning I did after. I posted yesterday for any help because I'm thinking that I might just need to try a different combination to get more slip. To deep condition I used alter ego garlic conditioner mixed with elasta qp dpr 11 and some silicon mix proteina de perla.... I didn't roll my rollers too tight... I don't think so anyway. I did the roll roll pull thing. Any advice would be appreciated because I don't like seeing broken hairs... Do you ladies have a lot of slip when u rollerset? Anyone finding the manipulation could be too much? Maybe I should go to washing every two weeks

bride91501

How are you guys moisturizing the hair in between sets? DD normally uses a water based moisturizer daily, followed by an oil to seal. Her hair is prone to dryness. Any suggestions? TIA!

ItsyBitsy

Ladies with my last rollerset I noticed some breakage.. I don't know if its from all the manipulation with rollersets. I was trying to be patient during the process but my hair was so tangly and had almost no slip after deep conditioning and using lacio lacio and silken child leave in detangler.. I don't know what the problem is because it was fine last week. The only thing I did different was a hard protein treatment but I wouldn't think that would be a problem with the deep conditioning I did after. I posted yesterday for any help because I'm thinking that I might just need to try a different combination to get more slip. To deep condition I used alter ego garlic conditioner mixed with elasta qp dpr 11 and some silicon mix proteina de perla.... I didn't roll my rollers too tight... I don't think so anyway. I did the roll roll pull thing. Any advice would be appreciated because I don't like seeing broken hairs... Do you ladies have a lot of slip when u rollerset? Anyone finding the manipulation could be too much? Maybe I should go to washing every two weeks

I'm a veteran roller setter :lol: & in my experience it's best to use a serum. I use one of the Aveda serums. Be sure to use a tiny amount mostly focusing on your ends. Also, I use & LOVE the Ojon revitalizing mist. Both products will combat the tangles as well as add slip :yep:

xmasbaby78

This is what happens when I'm too lazy to wrap my hair up GOOD at night!

Oh, well!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Long Hair Care Forum App

adamseve

I'm joining this challenge, but I have several questions too :drunk:!

Questions first:

I roller set my hair for the 1st time as a fully natural, 8 months, and loved it. However, today my ends are bushy. I don't have any split ends or anything so I know that's not the problem. What I can't understand is how they, my ends, were so nice, shiny & straight less than 8 hours ago and now after sleeping in my satin bonnet they're bushy and frizzy! The crown of my head is fine as that area is 3c, but the rest is 4a. My hair is very soft and moisturized, but it looks dry because of the frizz & bushiness.

By the way, I roller set on freshly washed & DCd hair. I only applied my leave-in, Zipporah Beauty Delight Your Hair Leave-In Cream, and the olive oil foaming wrap to set the curls. I sat under my hooded dryer for about 1 1/2 hours on low heat.

1. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

2. How do I get rid of the bushiness?

3. How do you moisturize & seal your hair without it shrinking and/or reverting back to curls?

WHEW...Here's my info to join the challenge:

Starting Length/Goal Length: NL / WL

Why You Rollerset: I hate protective styling so I need something to reward myself in between protective styles.

How Often: Bi-weekly

Products: TBD

Techniques/Tools: Pink & Black magnetic rollers & hooded dryer

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Make sure your hair is completely dry before removing rollers. Also, don't rush the process...If you don't have the time to wait be gentle with your hair do something different!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ElegantPearl17

Hey Curlybeauty! How long did you stretch your relaxer this time? Please let me know if getting a fresh relaxer solved your frizz issue. I seem to think that may be my issue as well, but I want to continue to stretch as long as possible. There has got to be a SOLUTION ...ughhh! :ohwell:

this is a problem for me too. I am having a hard time with my porosity...:nono:

Update on me...

I got a relaxer :yay:

And a trim, and i'm glad to say that i'm not bald headed :look:
:lol:

I'm anxious to do my first wash after the fresh relxer to get the feel of my hair back. Relaxed ladies know what I mean. She used Design Essentias, and it got my hair SKRAIGHT !!

I will probably rollerset by the end of the week, or the start of the next one. I'm too excited to see how my sets will look now that i'm not fighting my roots :drunk:

Niapb

Help! I just rollerset my 4a hair, I used only water and aphogee keratin and green tea, and sat under my dryer for an hour and a half, and when I came out my curls were nice but when I ran my hand through my hair it was dry brittle and breaking. And I JUST deep conditoned with ORS replenishing pac. What did I do wrong?

AfroKink

Help! I just rollerset my 4a hair, I used only water and aphogee keratin and green tea, and sat under my dryer for an hour and a half, and when I came out my curls were nice but when I ran my hand through my hair it was dry brittle and breaking. And I JUST deep conditoned with ORS replenishing pac. What did I do wrong?

Maybe you can try putting your moisturizer on when your hair is wet before you roll.

pear

I'm a veteran roller setter :lol: & in my experience it's best to use a serum. I use one of the Aveda serums. Be sure to use a tiny amount mostly focusing on your ends. Also, I use & LOVE the Ojon revitalizing mist. Both products will combat the tangles as well as add slip :yep:

I agree. I have been roller setting my hair for several years and just pulled my serum back out and started using it again. My last few roller sets using the serum have been GORGEOUS. My curls were soft and bouncy with no frizz. I don't know why I ever stopped using it!

Curlybeauty

Hey Curlybeauty! How long did you stretch your relaxer this time? Please let me know if getting a fresh relaxer solved your frizz issue. I seem to think that may be my issue as well, but I want to continue to stretch as long as possible. There has got to be a SOLUTION ...ughhh! :ohwell:

I will keep you posted when I do my next set. I am ordering some biotin and giovanni shampoo today so I probably wont do my hair for another week.

But I will post pics with my fresh set on 2 week post hair :lick:

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over

I think you may have been able to get away with that if you air dried the set, but when you use a hair dryer, you definitely want to use more moisturizing and protective stuff than water and aphogee keratin and green tea.

Next time, try a good leave-in conditioner and a bit of serum, and make sure that you don't sit under there too long.
Also, maybe using castor oil would help. I only use a tiny bit before rolling, and it really helps keep my hair soft and moist when I rollerset.

Wildkat08

Im in... I need some accountability!

Starting length/goal length: past bsl;not quite mbl/ full waitst length

Why rollerset: BODY, BODY, BODY! Plus shine, beautiful curls/waves, and healthier than my other straightening method

How often: (Piggy backing off Solitude): when focused: 2x week; when not: at least 2x month

Products: still trying to get this down, but good 'ol stand by lotta body diluted like 5:1

Technique and Tools: still trying to find the best technique also (i truly suck at rollersetting) magnetic rollers, metal clips, conairpro dryer (will treat myself to ceramic magnetic rollers and a pibbs when I get good and do it often)

#1 Piece of advice: DONT GIVE UP!! Its hard when u start, heck, I still think its hard like the 5th time, but much less hard than before. I get better and better each time, practice truly does make perfect!

simplyconfident

]Starting Length/Goal Length:
Currently SL with a goal of grazing APL by December

Why You Rollerset:
I like big hair and love alternatives to direct heat

How Often:
Currently weekly.

Products:
Shampoo and DC. Apply leave ins (lots of HHLTR, a few sprays of aphogee green tea or pro vitamin, a quarter sized amount of Sallys aragan oil serum). I then put a plastic cap on my soaking wet hair and head to my stylist lol. She's a family friend who can roller set like nobodys buisness and charges me less than $20. Plus I get to sit under her salon grade hair drier. She sets my hair in a little bit if lotty body an a ton of mouse (currently I'm using Dudleys).

Techniques/Tools: (magnetic rollers? flexi-rods? hooded dryer?)
Since my SL cut last year, I've been in the small tan rollers. She uses metal clips to prevent dents in the hair.

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting:
When my hair was longer I would maintain my set during the week by using flexi rods at night. Since it's much shorter, I know gently clip my curls out of the way and wear a bonnet for bed.

I'll be back with pictures. :)

H0tPinkButtafly

idk if this has been asked already. but how do u ladies keep ur curls from rolllerset/flexirod set in tact while sleeping? how do u keep them from flattening out? any sugggestions other than pincurls?

Curlybeauty

How do ya'll keep the ends moisturized and sealed without reversion?

This year I will be paying a lot more attention to my ends. I planned using a drop of ORS hair lotion and probably my coconut oil, since I really want to just use it up.

Well maybe not the ORS lotion everyday, but def the EVCO on my ends every night before I tie my hair up!

UPDATE:
I just bought some biotin shampoo and Giovanni deep moisture to wash my hair with, so as soon as that comes I will be setting my hair. I'm getting tired of my high maintenance straight hair :look:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
How are you guys moisturizing the hair in between sets? DD normally uses a water based moisturizer daily, followed by an oil to seal. Her hair is prone to dryness. Any suggestions? TIA!
i don't really moisturize in between sets, but adding a serum to my ends keep them feeling supple, not dry.
I'm joining this challenge, but I have several questions too :drunk:!

Questions first:

I roller set my hair for the 1st time as a fully natural, 8 months, and loved it. However, today my ends are bushy. I don't have any split ends or anything so I know that's not the problem. What I can't understand is how they, my ends, were so nice, shiny & straight less than 8 hours ago and now after sleeping in my satin bonnet they're bushy and frizzy! The crown of my head is fine as that area is 3c, but the rest is 4a. My hair is very soft and moisturized, but it looks dry because of the frizz & bushiness.

By the way, I roller set on freshly washed & DCd hair. I only applied my leave-in, Zipporah Beauty Delight Your Hair Leave-In Cream, and the olive oil foaming wrap to set the curls. I sat under my hooded dryer for about 1 1/2 hours on low heat.

1. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

2. How do I get rid of the bushiness?

3. How do you moisturize & seal your hair without it shrinking and/or reverting back to curls?

WHEW...Here's my info to join the challenge:

Starting Length/Goal Length: NL / WL

Why You Rollerset: I hate protective styling so I need something to reward myself in between protective styles.

How Often: Bi-weekly

Products: TBD

Techniques/Tools: Pink & Black magnetic rollers & hooded dryer

Your #1 Piece of Advice on Rollersetting: Make sure your hair is completely dry before removing rollers. Also, don't rush the process...If you don't have the time to wait be gentle with your hair do something different!

Thanks for your help.
thanks for joining!
i'll attempt to answer your questions as best as i can.
How were you sleeping with the curls in your satin bonnet? where they pincurled or anything?
also, if i haven't used enough foam wrap, my hair will get frizzy.
i don't moisturize between sets, i prefer to add a serum, mainly to the ends.

the aphogee green tea may have been the problem. i heard that it's actually a leave-in with plenty of protein.

idk if this has been asked already. but how do u ladies keep ur curls from rolllerset/flexirod set in tact while sleeping? how do u keep them from flattening out? any sugggestions other than pincurls?
i "pineapple" it. i lift all the curls to the top of my head and then put my bonnet over it.

How do ya'll keep the ends moisturized and sealed without reversion?

This year I will be paying a lot more attention to my ends. I planned using a drop of ORS hair lotion and probably my coconut oil, since I really want to just use it up.

Well maybe not the ORS lotion everyday, but def the EVCO on my ends every night before I tie my hair up!

UPDATE:
I just bought some biotin shampoo and Giovanni deep moisture to wash my hair with, so as soon as that comes I will be setting my hair. I'm getting tired of my high maintenance straight hair :look:
i love using serum on my ends-that doesn't revert them at all.
girl, i understand. whenever i get a new product, it's on and poppin.:look: