Rollersetting natural 4b hair...

AfroKink

Can 4b hair get a smooth rollerset? What's realistic?

I'm going to rollerset on Saturday. I did a trial run last night, and I don't see how it's going to be possible. Even when I put my hair on the rollers it's not straight at all. You can see many little curlies sticking out. If it's not sitting smooth on the rollers, the set isn't going to come out smooth.

Is it possible for a 4b to do it? By 4b I been highly textured afro hair with no curl definition. Example of a wash n' fro on 4b hair in case you're wondering if you have this type of hair:

This is a curl former set from a while back. Curlformers really flatten your hair out and pull it tight. I air dried and it turned out well.

How smooth can regular rollers, the right products, and the right technique get it?

Pics? Advice?

Queen_Earth

IMHO your roller set there looks really smooth and silky! i mean I thought I understood your question until I saw the picture! I feel like my roller sets are always really nice and neat and smooth; I mean it won't look like I have a relaxer but that pleases me cause I like the added texture to my roller set! --your set there looks similar to mine and I am also a 4b; I didnt undertand how to work the curlformers though so I never got those but I think your hair looks great

AfroKink

The curlformer set did come out really well. For those it works best if you use small sections of hair. What I'm trying to figure out is how to get results like my curlformer set but using regular rollers. When I tried last night, it came out big and puff. I wish I had a pic but my camera seems to be broken. How do you do your rollersets?

BlackMasterPiece

Your curl former set was perfect....if it aint broke...dont fix it hun.

You're really making me wanna cop me some curlformers:scratchch

^^^^ Same here! I know that this won't answer your question, but your curlformer set looks great! I've been scared of those things and envious of those who can get their hair to act right with those things. I'm a 4a/b as well.

Great job! I might have to get some :)

BlackMasterPiece

^justicefighter check this tutorial out! I'm :drool: over the results! Its really stretches natural kinky hair beautifully by simply air-drying!

Its an awesome way to give your hair a break....I'm really feelin this....not feelin the price tho:ohwell: but I suppose its an investment:yep:

afrokinks the curlformers work so well on coily hair because they flatten and stretch the hair by surrounding it completely traditional rollers don't do that so I dont think that'll work out anywhere near as well.

Last edited:

AfroKink

Thanks ladies. I do love curlformers but traditional rollers add even more styling options. I'm going to keep researching before I do my whole head on Saturday.

I wonder if two roller sessions would work. The first a wet set on mesh rollers, and the second a dry set on satin foam rollers...

Truth

I love your hair color!!!!! but like it was said above..if it's not broke, dont fix it.. your hair came out realllly prettttty with the curlformers.. putting ideas in my head..:look:

AfroKink

I love your hair color!!!!! but like it was said above..if it's not broke, dont fix it.. your hair came out realllly prettttty with the curlformers.. putting ideas in my head..:look:

DO IT! lol. They are an investment, but for people like me who only go to the salon once a year it can be justified.

BlackMasterPiece

afrokink that curlformer set is FLAWLESS.....like...on the real....its bangin:cool2:

And the thing is, you can leave it as is, or you can straighten from there...so many options....

Dang I really need to get me some a those.

Queen_Earth

I think I get it now...I think maybe you can try flexi-rods--they come in a lot of different sizes and give quite a few styling options...I think if you use the same type of frizz free/heat protectant as you would use when flat ironing that would help too

poookie

as for your question, looks like you answered yourself in your first post! your curlformer set looks great. i'd suggest skipping any sort of setting lotion or mousse with curlformers though, they make the curls come out crispy & not soft at all. stick with creamy leave-ins & a serum to make the set come out as smooth as possible.

likewtr4chklit

I saw a recent thread where a 4b natural used a bit of gel to get the hair to lay down better. Let me see if I can find it.

BlackMasterPiece

as for your question, looks like you answered yourself in your first post! your curlformer set looks great. i'd suggest skipping any sort of setting lotion or mousse with curlformers though, they make the curls come out crispy & not soft at all. stick with creamy leave-ins & a serum to make the set come out as smooth as possible.
What kinda creamy leave-ins and serums do you suggest? I was thinking maybe spritz with dilluted lotta body and add giovanni direct leave-in?

I really want to try a curlformer set

BlackMasterPiece

^ Thats nice but that lady is 3c I could rollerset her hair in my sleep:look: lol OP wants to know about rollersetting 4b hair..........

BlaqBella

AfroKink get this...my hair is a range of diff "types"!?! So the perimeter of my head is a diif. "type" than the hair on your head but....

I was also determined to have options so...i 've spent the last maybe 6m. off & on watching natural rollerset yt vid.'s. .Well i've cw over and over for about a week skipping a day or so in btwn. Also in btwn. i done 1-2 dc treatments. Then i finally got magnetic rollers w/the covers. I did a good cw sat or sun, cold water rinse and used a small amount of two of my normal moisturizers sealed w/ a little jojoba & proceed to rollerset using a spray bottle of mostly distilled water and v05 mm cond.. And my hair on the rollers w/ covers looked smoother than i ever thought it could. I sat under soft bnnt dryer for a short while and then let airdry most of the day.(and i didn't 4get heat protect.)

This is where my story gets a BIT dif...cause i blew out roots a lil' (after i put a lil' aphogee green tea/bc it has a misting spray cap sort of to avoid early reversion) and it felt good/ok so i made 4 plats for the night. Next day it was smooth and shiny and stretched! I then went ahead and flat ironed...LOVE IT!!! HTH.

ETA: Oh and i love curlformers too & that was the first time i used vo5 and water I LIKEY!

And hay ya'll idk what my type is anywhere but the back/middle (abig portion might i add) is quite kinky..i'm almost sure its "4a/b".

Last edited:

AfroKink

I actually used a some kinda freeze foam lotion for my curlformers and It turned out well. I also used Fantasia IC gel and it also worked. I just bought Lotta Body from Sally's so I'm experimenting with that now. I haven't tried Lotta Body in Curlformers yet.

I must resist temptation to go to sally's and swipe away!!!!!!..:look: ...

resistance is futile:grin:. You're better than me. I got them during the big buzz on the boards. The Sally's that I went to didn't have them and I made them order them in for me:grin:. I had to travel 45 mins each way on public transit to get to the Sally's.

I'm disappointed becuz I can't see the pictures :-(

You can see them in my fotki. www.fotki.com/missalyssa. Those pics plus more are in my 2008 album

That's the tutorial I'm going to use on Saturday, but I was wondering if the 4b ladies have any extra tips.

Janet'

Can't wait to get home so I can see the pics...youtube is blocked at my job...#fail!!!

AfroKink

AfroKink get this...my hair is a range of diff "types"!?! So the perimeter of my head is a diif. "type" than the hair on your head but....

I was also determined to have options so...i 've spent the last maybe 6m. off & on watching natural rollerset yt vid.'s. .Well i've cw over and over for about a week skipping a day or so in btwn. Also in btwn. i done 1-2 dc treatments. Then i finally got magnetic rollers w/the covers. I did a good cw sat or sun, cold water rinse and used a small amount of two of my normal moisturizers sealed w/ a little jojoba & proceed to rollerset using a spray bottle of mostly distilled water and v05 mm cond.. And my hair on the rollers w/ covers looked smoother than i ever thought it could. I sat under soft bnnt dryer for a short while and then let airdry most of the day.(and i didn't 4get heat protect.)

This is where my story gets a BIT dif...cause i blew out roots a lil' (after i put a lil' aphogee green tea/bc it has a misting spray cap sort of to avoid early reversion) and it felt good/ok so i made 4 plats for the night. Next day it was smooth and shiny and stretched! I then went ahead and flat ironed...LOVE IT!!! HTH.

ETA: Oh and i love curlformers too & that was the first time i used vo5 and water I LIKEY!

And hay ya'll idk what my type is anywhere but the back/middle (abig portion might i add) is quite kinky..i'm almost sure its "4a/b".

So you do a lot of conditioning leading up to your rollerset?

I think I get what you are saying. Have you tried rolling backwards? That usually pulls the roots taunt.

What's rolling backwards? I probably haven't tried it

Lola Laughs

Afrokinks, your curlformers set is like OMG! Wow, I was kind of intimidated by them, but now I'm thinking of stopping by Sally's on the way home...beautiful!

BlackMasterPiece

I actually used a some kinda freeze foam lotion for my curlformers and It turned out well. I also used Fantasia IC gel and it also worked. I just bought Lotta Body from Sally's so I'm experimenting with that now. I haven't tried Lotta Body in Curlformers yet.
Hey what kinda freeze foam lotion did you use?

aprils13

Op our hair texture isnt quite the same but I was able to get a nice roller set last week. Actually I'm into my second week and I still have some body. I used large rollers like here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=438228

I added a dab of smoothing serum to each section I rolled. I sat under the dry for 1 hour and cool for 10 minutes. The first few days I finger combed and had large curls. Days later I flatironed the roots and wraped each night. I think I may do this every two weeks until spring.