Rollersetting natural 4b hair...

aa9746

^justicefighter check this tutorial out! I'm :drool: over the results! Its really stretches natural kinky hair beautifully by simply air-drying!

Its an awesome way to give your hair a break....I'm really feelin this....not feelin the price tho:ohwell: but I suppose its an investment:yep:

afrokinks the curlformers work so well on coily hair because they flatten and stretch the hair by surrounding it completely traditional rollers don't do that so I dont think that'll work out anywhere near as well.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to watch this now! :yep:

Mook's hair

Why ya'll gotta be all up in here making me wanna buy some curlformers!!?
I just completed my 12 step PJ rehab last year, and here ya'll go!

Why'd I come in here?

AfroKink

Hey what kinda freeze foam lotion did you use?

It's Salon Finish Foam Freeze & Mold Gel Pomade ...with silk protein. My hair dresser gave it to me several years ago. I've only used it twice. My hair doesn't need help holding... it needs help detangling! lol.

hmm... maybe I'll try it if Lotta Body fails me.

Usually people roll under with roller going down away from the scalp. Instead roll it backward toward the scalp.

Forgive me, I might be a little dense, I'm still not getting it.

I don't know what happened to the thank you button, but thanks everyone who has replied. I'm going to try DCing overnight tonight and probably thursday night. I'll just do my regular baggying the other nights. I hope Saturday turns out well

BlackMasterPiece

It's Salon Finish Foam Freeze & Mold Gel Pomade ...with silk protein. My hair dresser gave it to me several years ago. I've only used it twice. My hair doesn't need help holding... it needs help detangling! lol.

hmm... maybe I'll try it if Lotta Body fails me.

Forgive me, I might be a little dense, I'm still not getting it.

I don't know what happened to the thank you button, but thanks everyone who has replied. I'm going to try DCing overnight tonight and probably thursday night. I'll just do my regular baggying the other nights. I hope Saturday turns out well
Thanks a million! I'm definitely gonna look into that:yep:

Your curl former set should be in their commercials!

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Why ya'll gotta be all up in here making me wanna buy some curlformers!!?
I just completed my 12 step PJ rehab last year, and here ya'll go!

Why'd I come in here?

Please do Mook, I'd love to see your hair in a rollerset. :yep: I think we have similar hair types.

Curly83

Hey Guys, I plan to do a rollerset on satin covered foam rollers tomorrow night after I take my install out. I have 3C (front) and 4a (back). Wish me luck and I'll make sure to post the pics.

The curlformers look tempting but I don't know if my hair is long enough.

AfroKink

Hey Guys, I plan to do a rollerset on satin covered foam rollers tomorrow night after I take my install out. I have 3C (front) and 4a (back). Wish me luck and I'll make sure to post the pics.

The curlformers look tempting but I don't know if my hair is long enough.

Are u going to do a wet set on the satin rollers?

curlformers come in about 4 different sizes. You're hair doesn't need to be long at all to use them. (why am I such a pusher, lol)

Tomorrow I'm going to take down my twists and cornrows. They're been up for a month now and they look like they've been in for a month:nono:. I'm going to detangle and do a quick S&D

BlackMasterPiece

your curlformer set made me buy curlformers...
Same here, I'm really close to ordering them while the 20% off sale is going on:yep:

That curlformer set was just wildly precise, I have yet to see a set come out that nicely on a coarse 4a/b tightly coily lady using traditional rollers and I've searched alota fotkis:giggle:

This is exciting because you can either leave it as is, or you can use it as a way to stretch the hair before straightening without the use of heat.....the results in this thread are breahtaking....its jut a matter of time before I get me some:grin:

djanae

**nudges BMP...get em girl!

all of your hair threads come with GREAT description, story and pics lol
matter a fact, I've yet to see you post any experimental styles that didn't look great.

I should prob put my money were my mouth is though, while I'm nudging:lachen:

I've been wanting to try them as a pre-straightening method before saran wrapping (or light ironing??) The last time I straightened, I did a ponytail rollerset first and it made my life soo much easier. I can only imagine what curlformers would do :spinning:

They are kind of expensive though - and I have bags of rollers, perm rods and flexi rods that must get some more mileage before I buy anything else. I'm trying to stay strong :look:

Same here, I'm really close to ordering them while the 20% off sale is going on:yep:

That curlformer set was just wildly precise, I have yet to see a set come out that nicely on a coarse 4a/b tightly coily lady using traditional rollers and I've searched alota fotkis:giggle:

This is exciting because you can either leave it as is, or you can use it as a way to stretch the hair before straightening without the use of heat.....the results in this thread are breahtaking....its jut a matter of time before I get me some:grin:

hair4romheaven

why oh why with the curl formers...I just got flexi rods!!! OP I love you results! I know what you mean when you say a silky smooth roller set. I am quite sure there is a way!

AfroKink

This set is going to be FAIL. I struggled so much with the rollers. It took me a long time to section and detangle my hair. It took me about 1.5 - 2 hours to go from washing my hair to sitting under the dryer with the rollers in.

I need to learn how to organize the rollers on my head. I did one half alright, but when I did the second half there was a lot of crowding. It got so crowded up there that the rollers were bumping up and some even popped off!

I don't think it's going to be much different than my trial earlier this week because my hair looked puffy sitting on the rollers.

I'll post pics hopefully

Ms Lala

OP your curlformer set is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have tried rollersets w/no luck. I got pretty good results with large rollers to stretch my hair out. I have not been able to get sleek type results w/regular rollers though.

BlackMasterPiece

What length curlformers do you think I should get for my hair AfroKink? I'm thinking of getting the package kit but I'm worried they wont have enough longs for me:ohwell:.....idk....I just don't want my hair popping outta the end of it for no apparent reason lol

AfroKink

What length curlformers do you think I should get for my hair AfroKink? I'm thinking of getting the package kit but I'm worried they wont have enough longs for me:ohwell:.....idk....I just don't want my hair popping outta the end of it for no apparent reason lol

The ones in the kit will be too short. I've heard of ladies using two of the rods on 1 section, but I haven't tried that yet. I don't remember what the size of the ones in the kit are, but get 1 or 2 sizes bigger

AfroKink

The results:

I was going out for dinner and I didn't like the granny look so I pulled it back into a banana clip. It brushed the sides lightly to get rid of the bumps and pulled it into a ponytail. I used the pony tail so the clip wouldn't have to do all of the work. I thought my hair would laugh and break open the clip:look:

I put it in a bun overnight and took it down today to find this! It's pulled back with a hair tie. I like the way this looks much more than a twist out. I'm thinking of getting satin rollers to preserve the style.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the results. My hair is soft, fluffy and touchable. I'm confident that with practice I'll get faster and the set will look even better.

Thanks ladies!

BlackMasterPiece

The ones in the kit will be too short. I've heard of ladies using two of the rods on 1 section, but I haven't tried that yet. I don't remember what the size of the ones in the kit are, but get 1 or 2 sizes bigger
ahhh okay so I guess I'll have to get the separate packages how many curlformers did it take to do your whole head?

AfroKink

ahhh okay so I guess I'll have to get the separate packages how many curlformers did it take to do your whole head?

I have the kit, which is apparently 46 rollers. If I remember correctly, I used all of the longer ones and some of the shorter ones. So if you can get 50 it would probably be good. But check with the other ladies that have used them.

ceebee3

The results:

Overall I'm quite pleased with the results. My hair is soft, fluffy and touchable. I'm confident that with practice I'll get faster and the set will look even better.

Thanks ladies!

I think your hair came out nice. I think if you try the magnetic rollers you'll get a smoother set.

kblc06

Have you tried using the magnetic rollers with the clamps. I've found that this keeps my hair from curling back up as it dries on the roller.

RubyWoo

Have you tried using the magnetic rollers with the clamps. I've found that this keeps my hair from curling back up as it dries on the roller.

IME, I find mesh rollers better than magnetic rollers as far as keeping hair straight. You have more control with mesh rollers. The pin that is used helps control tension and ultimately how straight you want your hair. I can't imagine how my 4b hair could remain straight w/magnetic rollers in comparison w/mesh rollers.

Netta1

Okay soooo last night I washed, conditioned and roller set my hair with got2be mousse and heat protectant mixed with oil and water. I used large rollers with the metal clips and let me tell you it was a disaster...

The got2be mousse made my hair hard, some of my rolled sections were too large and therefore did not curl. The clips were waaaay to hard to put in and keep tight. Once I removed the rollers I combed my hair which was a mistake because my hair was too dry from the mousse and so I got a lot of snap-crackle-and pop. I lost some hair that’s for sure which sucks b/c lately (last two weeks) I have been adamant about co washing, Dcing and gentle handing. In the last to weeks I have been KEEPING my hair moist 2 in up from the ends at least...so therefore i have lost very little hair in detangling.....

Well last night after using that darn mousse and combing I probably loss like a little less then a fifty cent piece sized amount of hair vs losing about a nickel sized amount....

Any who I washed my hair after that fiasco and had to break out some deep conditioner. I conditioned like I was crazy, sprayed in some jerry curl juice with a dash of aphogge(sp?) b/c my hair was shedding a little extra, I then oiled it down on the ends and put in two braided pigtails...

So it will be a while before I look at another roller...and next time I will use the ones with the plastic clips...

:rofl: my hair was traumatized....but now it appears better…