Rollersetting natural 4b hair...

anon123

Alyssa, is that you?

I wouldn't call my rollersets silky, but they can are very bouncy. I like them. I usually use the flexible rollers. I've momentarily forgotten what people usually call them. I have also used perm rods and those came out pretty good, too. I got them from Ebay for a steal. I got a bunch of the flexible rollers and a bunch of perm rods for $20 incl shipping. Seriously, search for them for Ebay because at the time it was very easy to get like 150+ rollers for $20.

Anyway, I don't use much to set it. Usually just coconut oil. I tried using aloe vera gel but didn't notice much difference. I use at least 30-40 rollers. It can get difficult getting them all in there taut against the head, though. Then I sit under my bonnet dryer. I hate the dryer and so don't recommend this particular one because it has such a short tube you practically have to put the main box on your lap in order for the bonnet to reach up to your head.

Here are videos. The first is me taking the rollers out. The second is after I have taken them all out and fluffed with my fingers:

Taking out rollers:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3026348440046500029AACdXC

All out, slightly separated, and bouncy:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3057236910046500029PPCmKD

Oh, I want to say that I did NOT have success using those perfectly round magnetic rollers. I could not pull the roots taut enough, and the contrast between my napped up roots and the stretched ends was terrible.

Last edited:

AfroKink

Have you tried using the magnetic rollers with the clamps. I've found that this keeps my hair from curling back up as it dries on the roller.
Nah, I did use magnetic rollers in my preteen days when I was relaxed. But since I've been natural, this was my first eer rollerset.

Okay soooo last night I washed, conditioned and roller set my hair with got2be mousse and heat protectant mixed with oil and water. I used large rollers with the metal clips and let me tell you it was a disaster...

The got2be mousse made my hair hard, some of my rolled sections were too large and therefore did not curl. The clips were waaaay to hard to put in and keep tight. Once I removed the rollers I combed my hair which was a mistake because my hair was too dry from the mousse and so I got a lot of snap-crackle-and pop. I lost some hair that’s for sure which sucks b/c lately (last two weeks) I have been adamant about co washing, Dcing and gentle handing. In the last to weeks I have been KEEPING my hair moist 2 in up from the ends at least...so therefore i have lost very little hair in detangling.....

Well last night after using that darn mousse and combing I probably loss like a little less then a fifty cent piece sized amount of hair vs losing about a nickel sized amount....

Any who I washed my hair after that fiasco and had to break out some deep conditioner. I conditioned like I was crazy, sprayed in some jerry curl juice with a dash of aphogge(sp?) b/c my hair was shedding a little extra, I then oiled it down on the ends and put in two braided pigtails...

So it will be a while before I look at another roller...and next time I will use the ones with the plastic clips...

:rofl: my hair was traumatized....but now it appears better…

When I was doing my research I remember people discouraging the use of mouse. (did someone post that in this thread? I don't remember now). The Lotta Body had a lot of hold, but my hair was still soft and touchable. Even after putting my hair in a banana clip and then a messy bun over night, all those curls were still there the next day.

Which ones with the plastic clips are you talking about?

Alyssa, is that you?

I wouldn't call my rollersets silky, but they can are very bouncy. I like them. I usually use the flexible rollers. I've momentarily forgotten what people usually call them. I have also used perm rods and those came out pretty good, too. I got them from Ebay for a steal. I got a bunch of the flexible rollers and a bunch of perm rods for $20 incl shipping. Seriously, search for them for Ebay because at the time it was very easy to get like 150+ rollers for $20.

Anyway, I don't use much to set it. Usually just coconut oil. I tried using aloe vera gel but didn't notice much difference. I use at least 30-40 rollers. It can get difficult getting them all in there taut against the head, though. Then I sit under my bonnet dryer. I hate the dryer and so don't recommend this particular one because it has such a short tube you practically have to put the main box on your lap in order for the bonnet to reach up to your head.

Here are videos. The first is me taking the rollers out. The second is after I have taken them all out and fluffed with my fingers:

Taking out rollers:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3026348440046500029AACdXC

All out, slightly separated, and bouncy:
http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3057236910046500029PPCmKD

Oh, I want to say that I did NOT have success using those perfectly round magnetic rollers. I could not pull the roots taut enough, and the contrast between my napped up roots and the stretched ends was terrible.

Yep, it's the crazy girl formally known as MissAlyssa!:grin:
I'm going to check out ebay for deals on rollers. I'm going to keep trying to perfect my sets. I think you can make them into nice professional styles.

BlackMasterPiece

Omigosh! Mwedzi your flexirod set came out BEAUTIFUL!!!!:love3: Ugh now I wanna get more flexi rods and 50 extra long curlformers:spinning:

Yall gon drive me to the po' house!:nono::lachen:

AtlantaJJ

I'm reading this entire thread because I have curlformers now, I'm trying to decide what leave-ins / setting products to use.