Rollersetting/PinCurl 6 month Challenge 2008'

PuffyBrown

UPDATE:
You are allowed 1 FREE week or 5 FREE days per month! FOR (LOW MANIPULATION).

Careful with new growth honey.

Since it is so close to Christmas, we are going to take it easy until January.

The challenge officially starts January 6, 08' and ends in July 5, 08'.
(Use the last few days in December to practice and get products if you need them)

This is a 6 month challenge.

Guidelines:

Post starting pictures, starting roller type, color, styling products (i.e.…styling lotions, serums, etc) and your challenge goal by January 6, 2008.

Post midway pictures March 16, 2008 (update changes, product changes, and product reviews)

You must rollerset/pincurl at least 2x per week or more.
At least one set must be after a wash on wet hair

Other sets can be a dry moisturizer, hair mist, homemade concoction, water, and put up in rollers or pin curls b4 bed, and removed b4 bed or slept on overnight. but....(NO BLOWDRYER ALLOWED ON THIS SET)

Continue using vitamins, and other hair care regimens( challenges, CWC, etc,,,) but you cannot use any other heat source…..No flat ironing, or blowfrying, …(optional: you can blowfry your roots if you are stretching to get them straight but the goal of this challenge try to get to the level to saran wrap your roller set after you take out the rollers for healthier hair and to increase length

Accellerated challengers(add one additional wash rollerset during the week and airdry or sit under dryer)

Focus on smooth sets and smooth moisturized and healthy ends.

GOAL: At the end…let’s see if we can get to 3-6 inches of healthy hair growth.

Tutorials and Help(feel free to post your links)

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12483.asp
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=177689
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/12/pincurling-tuto.html
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/05/rollersetting_t.html#more
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/11/faq-all-about-p.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtXHzoM5Yg

new: added 12/11/07
Styling Tools

Choosing Rollers and Curlers

There are many types of rollers, both non-heated and heated. They all vary in length and width -- a wide diameter gives a full, smooth curl, while a thin roller gives a tight, spiral-type curl.

When using non-heated rollers, set your hair before taking a shower: The steam will help set the curls for a long lasting style. And never wind rollers too tightly, or you could end up with hair loss.

Magnetic rollers add smooth curl and volume. Because they are used to set wet hair, they offer long lasting curl.

Velcro rollers provide soft curl and full body, and can be used on either damp or dry hair. These are good choices for short or fine hair and hair that breaks easily, since they don't need to be clipped in place. However, if your hair is long or thick, you might need to use clips to keep Velcro rollers in place.

Foam rollers give curl to fragile hair and are best used when your hair is dry; they're even soft enough to sleep on.

Snap-on rollers and brush rollers hold hair securely, but they can damage your hair and are therefore not usually recommended.

Plastic mesh rollers are best used on wet hair. They help hair dry quickly and create smooth curls.

Flexi-rods and hair twirlers are long, flexible cushioned rods designed to create spiral curls without the use of pins or clips.

Hot rollers and steam rollers, available in a variety of diameters, are used on dry hair to create long lasting curl and minimize frizz. Both types are less damaging to hair than irons. Hot rollers are faster to use -- you have to wait for steam rollers to dry before taking them out. However, steam rollers are the gentlest way to get soft, full curls. When using either type of heated rollers, carefully wrap small sections of hair, making sure the ends
tucked in.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2147778_roller-set-relaxed-hair.htmlare

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

Challengers:grin:

20perlz
abordeaux
aitrop
Alli77
amber815
andreab
arr1216
Bajan Beauty
belle
bellesocialite
charmtreese
ChinkyeyedQT
ChrissyB
cocoaluv
Coolata
DDtexlaxd
deniseloc
Determined22
DreamLife
ebonybelle
evagray
FoxyCurls
foxieroxienyc
Frustrated
Funkeedva
Genesis132
gymfreak336
jamila75
JusPhabulous40
kandegirl
Kblc06
Keedah
kels823
Krazynkute0188
ladybug71
LadyR
LeslieC
locoabouthair
Lovelylocs
lucky8502
moisture maiden
Monie24
Moroni
MsJellie
MsSharee06
MtAiryHoney
natural one
Nella
Nixx
NYLegalNewbie
PinkPebbles
Saunagirl
sxyhairfetish
SkinteeDee
Skyborn09
SoOoNy
StellaB
SweetCashew
texasqt
tyefrmy
Samory07
SouthernTease
sweetness0099
trinimonpeaches
Wheezy807

Last edited:

SoOoNY

I wanna be on the list... but can I start a few days later... its my 23rd birthday on the 6th and i dont wanna look jacked up???

Saunagirl

This sounds like a great challenge. Pls count me in for this one. I've just bought some avocado butter so will be using this with my rollersets. I'm hoping for lovely moisturised ends.

Demi27

I am so in on this challenge!
I am gonna get rollersets right if it kills me (and it damn near has these past couple of weeks :lachen:).

RubyWoo

I'm soo in! My goal for next year was to rollerset more often and this is the perfect opportunity:grin:!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Add me to the list too!! I bought my magnetic rollers this morning! My rollers are Annie brand #1355 (a mint green color) and #1356 (red color). I'm wondering if I got the right size though. If you know the sizes I'm talking about, do yall think I got the right size? Is there a rule as to how far your hair should go around the roller or how many rolls to reach your scalp or something? I also got Macheriamour's DVD, so I hope my first rollerset comes out good!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am able to roller set dry, but I really stink at wet sets. :wallbash: I need all the tips I can get.:grin: I have a month to practice.:yep:

tapioca_pudding

I would LOVE to join this one, but my rollersets usually suck HARD. I'll practice from now til the start date (1.6.08) and see if I think I can do it.... but it sounds like a great challenge... :yep:

JusPhabulous40

Is it too late to join? I just started experimenting with Pincurls. (Some sets were beautiful.... others not so much!!) :ohwell:

I'm happy to get any support that I can get.

Thanks
JusPhabulous40

Last edited:

PuffyBrown

Does anyone know how you qualify what size roller you are supposed to be using. I have some but I am pretty sure they are going to be too small.

I am going to go get some new one this weekend.
How do you know what color is for what lenght, is it on the package or something?

Nella

Does anyone know how you qualify what size roller you are supposed to be using. I have some but I am pretty sure they are going to be too small.

I am going to go get some new one this weekend.
How do you know what color is for what lenght, is it on the package or something?

Whenever I purchase rollers I buy them based on the way I want to style my hair and not neccessarily the length of my hair. I find that with each size roller you can create a different loook.

I use the smallest roller to the largest and it gives me a different look all the time.

PuffyBrown

:look: uh ok....

I saw a set that has alot in there with alot of colors. I think I will get that then I will be able to check out all the different sizes.

thanks FTH

Whenever I purchase rollers I buy them based on the way I want to style my hair and not neccessarily the length of my hair. I find that with each size roller you can create a different loook.

I use the smallest roller to the largest and it gives me a different look all the time.

PuffyBrown

Building a Better Curl

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] An amazing amount of time, effort and money are spent each year by women who want to add curl to straight hair (or add more curl to the wave they already have). Most women find a method of doing so that they are comfortable with and stick with it, even when the results are less satisfying than they had hoped.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Women who try various methods to curl their hair for styling purposes soon learn that some methods work better and produce longer-lasting curl than others. Usually, the length of time the curl will last increases with the amount of time it takes to create the curl. This makes some methods unsuitable for some women, particularly those who need to style their hair quickly as part of their daily routine.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So, we’re going to take a look at the various methods of curling the hair, the results that you can expect, and the pros and cons for each method. It should be noted, however that these methods can be made more and less effective by the type of styling product used or the lack thereof, respectively. A wet set on rollers that is heat dried will produce longer-lasting and firmer curls when you add in a gel styling product for maximum hold than when you simply wrap the roller set with water.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As you’ve heard explained before, the wave pattern of the hair is held in place by the side bonds in the hair. The three types of side bonds are divided into two categories: physical side bonds and chemical side bonds. The physical side bonds are salt bonds and hydrogen bonds and are easily broken by the application of heat and moisture (water) to the hair. These are the bonds that are affected by the curling methods we will be discussing. The chemical side bonds are disulfide bonds and are only broken through chemical processes like perms and straighteners. None of the methods we discuss here will have any effect on the chemical side bonds of the hair.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Roller Sets:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] We start our list of curling methods with the heat-dried roller set. This process uses both heat and moisture and therefore breaks more of both types of physical side bond in the styling process. Heat and moisture can each break both of the types of physical side bond. Using one or the other usually breaks sufficient side bonds to allow you to alter the hair’s wave pattern. Using both heat and moisture means that more of the physical side bonds are broken (and subsequently reformed) which accounts for the extra-strong curl created.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you wrap wet (or freshly shampooed) hair around a roller the water has already broken a large portion of the side bonds. Wrapping the hair around the tool positions it into the shape of curl you want to have, and you have a wide range of sizes from which to choose. You can even mix and match roller sizes to create more natural looking wave patterns. When you place the wrapped hair under the dryer, you add heat to the process which breaks additional bonds which may not have broken previously. As the hair dries, most of the bonds that were broken begin to reform in the new shape. Once the hair is dry, you allow the rollers to cool completely which completes the reformation of the side bonds and gives you very strong curls that will last until your hair gets wet again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The cooling step is just as important as any other step in this process. It is also very important that the hair be fully dry before taking down the rollers. This means that, for some women especially, a heat dried roller set can take a considerable length of time. A well-practiced woman with shoulder length hair can probably wrap her hair on rollers in 30-40 minutes, depending on the number of rollers she uses. This can take longer if her hair is particularly dense, because she will need to use more rollers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The drying step is equally time-consuming. It would take an average of 45-50 minutes to dry normal density hair of shoulder length in a roller set. More dense hair, or hair wrapped on fewer rollers than normal would take longer because of the thickness of the hair layer around the rollers. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]>> Continue[/FONT]

Bajan Beauty

I am a newbie, this seems like a great challenge to start with add me in. I have been in lurk mode, but I am ready to come out. LOL.

Lovelylocs

I was going to do smthg similar to this, but for only 4 months. :lol: July is a long time away. :) I've been rollersetting my hair and avoiding salons since late Aug. Last week, I went to a salon for the first time since, and my hair is ALOT longer. :grin: Plus, my ends are not split at all. :nono: The only thing is that my hair doesn't feel as soft when wet as it did when I airdried w/S-curl and a leave-in, but the strands are really strong. :ohwell: