Roommate And Boyfriend Arrested, Charged In Murder Of Clark Atlanta Student

Always~Wear~Joy

The man whom a Georgia college student reported for unwanted kissing and touching before she went missing has been charged with murder in her death, along with the student’s roommate, police said Saturday.

Barron Brantley and his girlfriend, Jordyn Jones, both 21, are in custody after one of them led investigators to the body of 21-year-old Alexis Crawford in a Georgia park on Friday, according to the Atlanta Police Department. A medical examiner determined that Crawford died of asphyxiation.

Friday’s discovery gave “one of the saddest conclusions possible” to the search for the Clark Atlanta University student, who was reported missing Nov. 1, Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields told reporters.

Days before she went missing, on Oct. 27, Crawford told authorities that Brantley had rubbed her shoulder with his hand and kissed her on the neck as they drank together, according to a police report. Crawford told police Brantley said he’d mistaken her for his girlfriend — Crawford’s roommate, Jones.

Crawford said she entered a restroom by herself after Brantley followed her to her room, according to the report.

Jones told police that she found Crawford locked inside the bathroom wearing only a bra, the report states. It’s unclear exactly when Jones found her roommate. The Oct. 27 report said authorities also recovered a “pair of cut panties” in the restroom.

According to the report, Jones recalled Crawford’s saying she had passed out and was unsure what happened. Crawford said she did not remember Brantley’s being in the bathroom with her, according to the report. Brantley said he did not have sex with Crawford, Jones told police.

Crawford was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta for a rape examination, the police report said.

Roommates IG

After Crawford’s disappearance, Jones told investigators that she was not “on speaking terms” with her roommate because of a “separate incident” that is not detailed, according to a missing-person report. The report also refers to an unspecified “separate incident” that allegedly occurred on Oct. 26, noting that friends said Crawford hadn’t been comfortable sleeping in her bedroom and had moved to the living room since that day.

Family members said they last heard from Crawford on Oct. 30, police documents state. Crawford’s mother said her daughter was laughing and “in good spirits” in their last conversation via FaceTime.

On Monday, family members gathered at Atlanta police headquarters to plead for the community’s help in finding Crawford — a young woman from Athens, Ga., “who’s got her whole life ahead of her,” the Rev. Markel Hutchins, a community leader, said at the tearful news conference.

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

When I first heard this story I assumed the roommate led the police to the body but if she was out of town I guess it was her boyfriend. What in the world happened before this young woman died for it to turn out this way?

GinnyP

When I first heard this story I assumed the roommate led the police to the body but if she was out of town I guess it was her boyfriend. What in the world happened before this young woman died for it to turn out this way?
Is this guy a student?

moneychaser

I have been following this story because it makes me so fearful for when I send my kids off to school.

Apparently the boyfriend raped her a few days prior while she was drunk. She filed a police complaint and even went to the hospital to have a rape kit done. She still stayed in the apartment afterwards afraid to sleep in her bedroom and didn’t tell her family what happened.

The boyfriend was on parole and has a long rap sheet.

ScorpioBeauty09

I have been following this story because it makes me so fearful for when I send my kids off to school.
My 20 year old sister is begging my parents to let her live on campus and stories like this are one reason why my mom doesn't want her to. She briefly lived on campus this past summer and ended up having to change rooms from a girl who brought her boyfriend to live in the apartment with them and was sharing their room.

Black Ambrosia

My 20 year old sister is begging my parents to let her live on campus and stories like this are one reason why my mom doesn't want her to. She briefly lived on campus this past summer and ended up having to change rooms from a girl who brought her boyfriend to live in the apartment with them and was sharing their room.
The girl wasn’t staying on campus. She and the roommate had an apartment a mile away.

Southernbella.

Apparently the boyfriend raped her a few days prior while she was drunk. She filed a police complaint and even went to the hospital to have a rape kit done. She still stayed in the apartment afterwards afraid to sleep in her bedroom and didn’t tell her family what happened.

The boyfriend was on parole and has a long rap sheet.

I don't understand the logic of going to college and dating a felon instead of any number of eligible, upwardly mobile guys on your campus. But then when said felon assaults your roommate, you help him kill her so that he doesn't go to jail again, instead of, I don't know...dumping him?

LostInAdream

This is heart breaking! I couldn’t imagine what this girl last days were like. To be assaulted in your own home and then murdered a few days later. Prayers to her loved ones.

My little sister started Clark Atlanta this fall and there’s been so many stories in the news about this school. I’m not a worrying type but I want her to transfer to a closer school like next semester.

Black Ambrosia

This is heart breaking! I couldn’t imagine what this girl last days were like. To be assaulted in your own home and then murdered a few days later. Prayers to her loved ones.

My little sister started Clark Atlanta this fall and there’s been so many stories in the news about this school. I’m not a worrying type but I want her to transfer to a closer school like next semester.
What other stories did you hear?

TrulyBlessed

How do you just throw your bright and promising life away over a piece of :censored: so willingly?! I would’ve never believed how common it is for people to succumb to such idiocy until I started watching episodes of “For My Man” on TVOne. Jordyn’s IG is private now but they were saying on the radio how on her page she was a big proponent of women being protected against sexual assault, survivors coming forward, etc. but then she turns around and does this to her roommate. Crazy how murder for a lot of people seems to be as simple as fixing a bowl of cereal these days and it’s scary. They both look cold and unremorseful in their mug shots. Like yeah we did it and we’d do it again. Be careful ladies and please never underestimate the ability of someone close to you to screw you over.

1FF7C5DF-B0E9-4649-9DB6-1488466033E2.png

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

I think the boyfriend assaulted her and then attacked her when he found out she went to the police. He probably didn't intend to kill her but his obvious anger management issues got the best of him. (Or maybe he intended to kill her and might've gotten away with it since there's no indication her body would've been found otherwise.) My gut tells me the girlfriend/roommate never saw his brutality firsthand until then and was either afraid to intervene or was unsuccessful. Either way she could've gone to the police right after it happened or done something to prevent the sexual assault unless he drugged them both. Another possibility is she's the jealous type and believed it was consensual and that caused a riff between the two women.

I saw something online about how Alexis invited her home for the holiday and it really broke my heart that she could be that close to someone who would do her dirty like this. We've all trusted the wrong people but not with these consequences. It's just so sad. It sounds like she hadn't told her family about the assault either. Can you imagine your daughter going missing and then learning that she was assaulted by someone she knew and that person ends up being a suspect in her murder along with someone she thought was a friend? It's like multiple stabs at the heart for her family.

HappilyLiberal

Her roommate was jealous because her boyfriend was hitting on the victim. And, instead of her holding him responsible, she decided to take it out on the victim. Hood Logic 101! Just throw both of these fiends away!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I’m feeling all kinds of emotions right now. This is so sad.
:mad: These guys from the city that’s not in school or have ever attended the University preys on these innocent and naive girls during freshman year.
I am so upset:mad:
Inside and outside the school. It's a repeat of high school in that way. They will be targeted again when they are fresh out of college entering the workplace.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Jordyn’s IG is private now but they were saying on the radio how on her page she was a big proponent of women being protected against sexual assault, survivors coming forward, etc. but then she turns around and does this to her roommate.
A lot of women are like that until it is a man in their life (especially a romantic interest) doing the dirt.

Always~Wear~Joy

Warrants reveal how Clark Atlanta student Alexis Crawford was killed

By: Alexis Stevens, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
  • Updated: Nov 12, 2019 - 12:27 PM

ATLANTA - Clark Atlanta University student Alexis Crawford was strangled to death and her remains placed in a plastic bin and dumped in a park, according to Fulton County Superior Court documents released Tuesday.

[READ MORE: Here's everything to know about the Alexis Crawford murder]

Within hours of a late-night run for alcohol, Crawford and her roommate, Jordyn Jones, got into a physical fight inside their off-campus apartment, court documents state. Jones’ boyfriend, Barron Brantley, got involved in the fight, documents say.

The following day, Crawford’s family reported her missing to Atlanta police, who began the second investigation involving the college senior in less than a week. On Oct. 27, Crawford had reported to police that Brantley had sexually assaulted her in the apartment, according to an incident report.

As a result of the physical altercation, Barron Brantley choked the victim until she was deceased,” an Atlanta Police Department report says. “Afterwards Jones and Brantley placed Alexis Crawford in a plastic bin and transported her body to Exchange Park in Decatur, GA, where they placed her body in the woods.”

After Crawford was reported missing, Jones told police she didn’t know her roommate’s whereabouts. But on Friday following a week-long search for Crawford, Brantley admitted to investigators he had choked and killed her, according to court documents. Crawford’s body was found Friday, Atlanta police said.

Brantley, 21, was arrested late Friday and charged with felony murder. Jones, also 21, was arrested Saturday morning and also charged with felony murder. Both were being held without bond Tuesday morning at the Fulton jail.