rose petals

Dolapo

I need some rosewater and ive not been able to find the real rosewater. i was told that i could make my own rosewater with rose petals so i just got some off ebay. i was wondering how to make it. and should i just use ordinary water or distilled water or should i use oils...thanks. also, where can i buy aloe vera gel (real) and glycerin? Or do y'all just use the aloe vera gel sold in stores as sunscreen??

mahoganee

I'd always read that you use distilled water and did a search on the web to see. Too lazy to go downstairs and look in one of my books. I found several recipes:

Rose water done 4 different ways!

Rose water I

1 cup distilled water
1/8 cup perfumer's alcohol
1/4 cup fresh rose petals

Method:

Mix all ingredients together in a large glass jar with screw-on lid (like the kind you use to make sun tea) and place in the sun or in a sunny window for the day. Strain thoroughly. The alcohol "self-preserves" this solution.

Rose Water II

A variation on an old-fashioned recipe

1/2 oz. powdered white sugar
2 drachmas of magnesia
12 drops of rose absolute
1 quart distilled water
2 oz. perfumer's alcohol
Method: Mix and strain through filter paper.

Rosewater III

16 oz. perfumer's alcohol
16 oz. distilled water
1/2 cup FRESH rose petals

Method:

Combine all in 1 quart Ball or Kerr jar. Shake. Allow to set in sunny window.
Strain fluid and replace rose petals daily for approx 14 days til you reach the desired scent level. Cut with up to 16 oz. distilled water or vegetable glycerin USP.

Rosewater IV **

2 cups boiling distilled water
1 cup rose petals

Method: Combine all in 1 quart Ball or Kerr jar or other heatproof vessel and allow to cool. Strain. Bottle and keep in fridge for up to 1 week. **IMPORTANT NOTE! This recipe contains no preservatives and is unstable. Toss immediately if you suspect bacterial growth. Add 1/2 teaspoon
potassium sorbate to prevent mold, yeast and fungal growth.

Dolapo

where do i get distilled water from? also, is there something else i can use to preserve it apart from that perfumer's alcohol?

Queenie

You can get the aloe and glycerin at CVS. Get the Fruit of the Earth brand. It's not next to those other ones. The sunscreen ones have alcohol in them.

Dolapo

thanks a lot everyone for your replies. could i infuse the petals in a carrier oil like jojoba? also, sinc ei dont have any preservatives, how long do you think the stuff will last inthe fridge before growing stuff?

Last edited: