Rough, Dry Hair Issue

I_shure_do_wish

Hi ladies, I’m just beginning to start my hair growth journey and still in the process of discovering what works well for my hair. The first major issue I want to tackle before moving forward is my rough hair. Now before you assume that I am not moisturizing my hair… I AM! I moisturize twice daily with Wave Nouveau moisturizing finishing lotion and then seal with jojoba oil. I wear my hair up in a bun or use clips and finger comb when necessary. The crown area seems to be the worst area and I’m afraid it will begin to break off any progress I’ve made thus far. What can I do to prevent this in the future and fix it now? I do deep condition my hair weekly and do a protein wash once every 4 weeks. :wallbash:

I_shure_do_wish

How often do you wash your hair? What products do you use to wash your hair?

I Shampoo and deep condition once a week and sometimes do a co was no more than 2 times a week. Im just using creme of nature shampoo and follow with the conditioner. or I just use soft sheen and carson Optimum Care line since I have some of that lying around. :ohwell:

KAT25

I Shampoo and deep condition once a week and sometimes do a co was no more than 2 times a week. Im just using creme of nature shampoo and follow with the conditioner. or I just use soft sheen and carson Optimum Care line since I have some of that lying around. :ohwell:

I have heard that some peoples hair doesn't like CON shampoo my hair being one of them.. I have to use a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.. also your hair might not like protein and that could also be adding to drying it out. I am not very familiar with the wave stuff but have you ever tried to just use your oil and water?

I_shure_do_wish

I have heard that some peoples hair doesn't like CON shampoo my hair being one of them.. I have to use a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.. also your hair might not like protein and that could also be adding to drying it out. I am not very familiar with the wave stuff but have you ever tried to just use your oil and water?

Maybe my hair doesn't respond well to protein or CON but yes i've tried using water and my oil. I added Mane n'tail to it though and that doesn't work to well it still ends up being rough. esp in the crown

PinkPebbles

Try using a chelating shampoo. I recommend ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe. You may have hard water or calcium / mineral deposit build-up from products and or relaxers.

I use this poo once a week and it has made a tremendous difference in my strands. HTH.

Dposh167

Hi ladies, I’m just beginning to start my hair growth journey and still in the process of discovering what works well for my hair. The first major issue I want to tackle before moving forward is my rough hair. Now before you assume that I am not moisturizing my hair… I AM! I moisturize twice daily with Wave Nouveau moisturizing finishing lotion and then seal with jojoba oil. I wear my hair up in a bun or use clips and finger comb when necessary. The crown area seems to be the worst area and I’m afraid it will begin to break off any progress I’ve made thus far. What can I do to prevent this in the future and fix it now? I do deep condition my hair weekly and do a protein wash once every 4 weeks. :wallbash:

if the hairs in your crown area have splits, or dead ends...cut em off now since ur starting your journey. It will really benefit you later on.

as for your rough, dryness. what do u do to ur hair after u deep condition? can u be a lil more detailed as to what exactly ur process is on wash day?

I_shure_do_wish

if the hairs in your crown area have splits, or dead ends...cut em off now since ur starting your journey. It will really benefit you later on.

as for your rough, dryness. what do u do to ur hair after u deep condition? can u be a lil more detailed as to what exactly ur process is on wash day?

I deep condition with a moisture conditioner after every shampoo with heat for 25-30mins and then air dry. Once it's 80 percent dry i'll add a leave in conditioner and than moisturize, seal and cover with a satin scarf

Dposh167

as others stated above...clarifying or chelating may help. but there are so many things that are affiliated with dryness that u really should analyze every aspect:

hard water/calcium/mineral deposits
porosity
not strong enuff moisturizers
too much..or not enuff protein in hair strands
products with ingredients that are blocking moisture..

...and the list can go on

KAT25

I clarify with CON as well maybe it's the CON cause right now I work at a summer camp and we are required to get in the pool. So I clarified just two days ago.

well it sounds like the pool is the problem.. CON has a clarifying poo? Try mixing a little baking soda into the shampoo and see if that helps..

I_shure_do_wish

well it sounds like the pool is the problem.. CON has a clarifying poo? Try mixing a little baking soda into the shampoo and see if that helps..

Alrighty i'll try that. Although my hair was dry before the pool summer camp just started last week. Im going to look back on what i've been doing to pin point the problem. It might just be the poo's im using and the protein

PinkPebbles

I clarify with CON as well maybe it's the CON cause right now I work at a summer camp and we are required to get in the pool. So I clarified just two days ago.

FYI: A clarifying poo and chelating poo are two different things. Clarifyer only removes product build-up. And a chelating poo removes calcium and mineral deposit build-up.

I also agree with the poster who suggested to get a trim if you have splits or damaged ends.

Also, I've noticed that if I use a lotion as a moisturizer, I still need to use a moisturizing water base mist spray. If not, my ends tend to dry out fairly quickly.

gymfreak336

As some have already mentioned in this thread, you need a chelating shampoo. Chelating shampoo's can remove excess mineral buildup and chlorine that regular clarifying shampoo's can't do.

If you don't remove that extra buildup, all of your conditioning efforts are not going to be nearly as effective. Then you need to try a true moisturizing treatment to build your moisture levels back up. Before you get into the pool, try saturating your hair with regular water and add some conditioner. If you have a swimming cap, use it, and when you get out shampoo with the chelating shampoo.

PinkPebbles suggested the ORS aloe poo which is great and it isn't expensive.

Dposh167

Alrighty i'll try that. Although my hair was dry before the pool summer camp just started last week. Im going to look back on what i've been doing to pin point the problem. It might just be the poo's im using and the protein

if ur active in pools, yes...u can try the baking soda as stated. u can also try real chelating shampoos. Aubrey organics sells one specifically for pool usuage...can't remember the name tho. But ION...sold in sally stores also has a swimmers poo.

also before u hit the waters...u can try putting conditioner on ur hair before u go in. I've done this many of times...its almost like a pre-poo...or pre-pool :spinning:

I_shure_do_wish

THANK YOU LADIES! I auctally do have some creamy aloe shampoo from the perm kit that I never used so I'll try that and if it works i'll purchase the bottle. Thanks all this info has helped!

Jadore_tay

this product is a no no for my hair it leaves it dry and brittle no matter what :nono: