Routine for Fine Relaxed Hair

BrightEyes

Hello all,

One of my bestfriends (relaxed) has shoulder length relaxed hair that is very fine and on the thin side. We were talking about hair care and she was interested to know how I was getting my hair to grow so fast and strong. I told her about the GNC I had been taking, but everything else doesn't apply to her because I don't use relaxers.

What basic routine can you suggest for thin/fine relaxed hair? What products can you recommened?

Her internet is down, so I thought I'd be nice and post this for her. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

free2bme

As a fine haired gal myself, the first rule to follow is to use a mild lye relaxer to prevent over processing. I swear by motions oil moisturizing relaxer. Alot of ladies also like affirm mild.

2. Finding the right protien & moisturizing conditioners and the frequency in which to use them. This is trial and error as no two heads are exactly alike

3. find a volumizing leave in (eg nexxus headress), a colour rinse like adore or sebastian also mildly enhances volume.

4. Do styles that enhance volume eg rollersets, braidouts stay away from very sleek flat styles

5. Try supplements a good all purpose hair vitamin in conjuction with vitamin B5 and silica should help on the inside.

Happy Growing!!!

Tracy

As a fellow fine hair I conmpletely cosign F2B's response! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would only add that handlingwise make sure she's very careful. Wdde tooth combs and gentle handling overall particularly during shampooing (which she should probably do more than most - most of us do twice a week or more - but certainly no less than once) is very important. Fine hair has fewer cuticles than other types and so they must be vigilantly preserved if the hair is to remain healthy and reflect that in it's appearance.

Some products to recommend to her (these may not all work but alot of fine haired's like them):

Lanza Protein Plus Shampoo
Elucence Products
Motions Leave In
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Aveda

Also mention to her that some finehaireds (like me) may have trouble with products specifically designed for black hair. They can be too heavy and don't maximize the beauty of fine hair. So if these products types (African Pride, Keracare, Lusters, etc.) are all she's been using she may want to think about a switch. She should go with products with less oil and focus on good conditioning and a good cream moisturizer (I like Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer) for regular maintenance.

I second everything the girls here said. I also have fairly fine hair.

I would also suggest she add B5 to her vitamin supplements to thicken hair, as recc'd before by Tracy. 1000mg daily is fine, splitting it 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I take the Solgar brand which comes in 500mg tablets. This supplement does work at thickening the hair over time if you are consistent with it.

I don't know what your friend's styling technique is but I would suggest she stop using blowdryers and curling irons if she uses them as these thinned out my hair in the past, esp the curling irons on the hair ends. Rollarsetting is definitely a better option because it volumizes the hair and is a healthier drying option. I agree with free2be me about trying Nexxus Headdress which is a volumizing leave in conditioner, you only need a little for it to work though. Also, if she's close to Sallys beauty supplies, New Image Damage Free Thermal Conditioner is excellent at protecting hair from heat and making the hair appear fuller too.

Make sure she isn't using too much oils/greases/pomades etc on her hair as this will just weigh the hair down, making strands stick together and make it look limp.

Another really good conditioner is Kerastase Macquintense (although this is very expensive but it works fantastically). Its meant for dry thin hair. It moisturizes and makes the hair fuller.

Sebastian's Colourshines/Cellophanes is a colour rinse out which is very gentle and when I had this used on my hair, it made it instantly thicker and fuller. Alot of girls on this board like using it. For me, it made my hair dryer though but I am the only one this happened to. Everyone else likes it alot so she may want to give this a try. And it rinses out so its completely safe.

BrightEyes

Hello and thanks to all the ladies who have replied.

Free2bMe,

She gets her hair relaxed professionally and she told me her hairdresser does use Motions, which she really likes. I use Motions on my sister as well and I liked how it didn’t dry her hair out. It’s really a good product.

Tracy,

It’s funny that you have a Dominican flag up there because my friend has Dominican relatives. A nice amount, in fact.

What products fro Aveda can you recommend? They have so many that it’s hard to choose. Also, when her PC is up, may I send her the link to your hair album? I think seeing a pic of your roller set would help her more than me trying to explain.

Your color looks really nice. I have a lot of red in my hair. It’s funny because I’m hoping my amla oil will darken it. Am I an ingrate or what? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BrownRelaxedHair,

How long have you been using the Solgar?

Tracy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
my friend has Dominican relatives. A nice amount, in fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then she certainly has a wealth of information available to her! Tell her to ask some of her people's from DR to recommend some tips and products and techniques as well! MANY Dominican women have unbelieveably long, healthy, relaxed hair and probably have a TON of info to offer her in addition to what we tell her!

What products for Aveda can you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal favs are their charry almond bark conditioner and their anti-humectant (?) serum. But there are products in the line that may be better for her - she should try them out is all and see if they work for her. They may not, but it's a good line and the products are not "weighty" which is why I recommend them.

Also, when her PC is up, may I send her the link to your hair album?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course! And tell her to email me and mention your username do I remember if she has questions. Or better yet - send her here! We'll take care of her! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your color looks really nice. I have a lot of red in my hair. It&amp;#8217;s funny because I&amp;#8217;m hoping my amla oil will darken it. Am I an ingrate or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Ingrate? I think not! I remember the days when black was the only color I would consider.I did everything I could to completely emilinate any color but blue black from my hair. I just got tired of it! Whatever makes you look in the mirror and say - "Damn that girl's fine!" is the best color for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm sure your hair looks lovely dark or red. I hope the Amla oil does the trick if not let's talk....I love color convos!

Take care chica!

soapdiva2

Hey ladies, thanks for this post. It was very helpful to me being one with fine hair and stuggling to keep it healthy. <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

CynamonKis

WOW-- WAVIN' AT all the other "fine haired" Ladies on the board! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

My styling technique is quite simple and healthy - I simply "gell" my hair w/pre-con gel and pull it back into a bun. Why? Simplicity--schedule too busy to "do" hair daily, low-maintenance required for me. Occasionally I will blow-dry &amp; curl my hair, maybe 1-2 times per month.

I don't use traditional relaxers anymore because they have wreaked havoc on my hair over the years. But as far as Aveda products, I have been using Curessence and it is okay. My friend, also with fine hair, really likes the Rosemary Aveda product line (shampoo and conditioner), and I believe she relaxes her hair. My favorite shampoo is Creme of Nature for Fine Hair.

I've been using B5 on and off for approx 2 months ish?

I need to be more vigilant though. It made my regrowth feel thicker. I'll keep taking it as I've heard alot of positives on its effectiveness in thickening the strands.