routines request

afrikeys

Hi all naturals,
I'm trying to achieve and maintain lenght...I'm going for shooulder lenght first...I need a lot of help.:perplexed
Please post your routines, your tips and your diets.
I'm in a weave right now and i'm taking it down next weekend.. I feel bad with my short hair ( i just did a bc on may ) so I might braid it right away...
I had natural hair before (was very close to bra lenght and it took me 2 years) I made the mistake of relaxing and I'm back to the beggining...
i was kinda depressed about it and have not been doing anything at all with my hair,,,i kinda just sat there while loosing my lenght and then i was "kinda" forced int o the bc and then I got the weave...(almost like hiding my short hair under it...) it is kind of sad... but I feel motivated again... I want to start my hair journey...
It has been a year from my last relaxer and then i bc so I'm totally natural,,,,
Please post your advice, your tips and your haIR-JOURNEY pictures....i'm crying for inspiration and support...
Thnks

tocktick

To get from a 2.5" TWA to shoulder length, I really did low-manipulation styles such as twistouts and shrunken puffs. In fact, I mainly kept my hair shrunken for the vast majority of the time from month 1 to month 7. After month 8, I kept my hair in braids using fake hair. After about 2 months in braids, my hair was shoulder length. I kept my hair loose (i.e - didn't use braids etc) for a while and then went back into braids. That's more or less what I do with my hair - I keep it in braids for most of the time but leave it loose for a short while.

My diet whilst getting from a twa to shoulder length was inconsistent. I ate well and exercised on and off throughout that period. I think getting from a twa to shoulder length is quite easy (if you keep it simple!) because there is less chance of the strands breaking off due to friction from shoulders or clothing like when one is going from SL to APL.

My routine to get from a TWA to SL was quite simple. I washed once a week, conditioned and sealed after washing. Nearly every day, I would rinse my hair with water and seal to keep it from being dry. I DC'd about once every 7-14 days. I did not use heat until I was about 14 months natural.

There are pictures of my hair in my fotki album. The address is in the profile section. Also, check out this thread showing naturals with two years of growth. It's a very inspirational thread. My photos are on the last page.

HTH

Last edited:

loolalooh

You can definitely get to shoulder length or even beyond. I started off with about 4 1/2 inches (give or take) of natural hair about 1 1/2 years ago. My routine has changed overtime, but here is what I currently do:

WEEKLY:
- Prepoo with Coconut Oil for 20 minutes
- Wash with Creme of Nature (green bottle)
- Condition with V05 for 5 minutes
- Rinse 80-90% of the conditioner out
- Seal with Coconut Oil and homemade Whipped Shea Butter mixture
- Airdry

EVERY 3-4 WEEKS
- Clarify (if needed)
- Re-twist on dry, stretched hair & wear for 3-4 weeks

METHOD IN DETAIL:
Prepooing w/ coconut oil protects my ends from wear during the washing process. Washing with shampoo rather than conditioner removes buildup from my hair. (In the summer, I do incorporate cowashing though.) DCing is unnecessary for me since 1) prepooing and 2) V05 + shea mixture + coconut oil do the job. Water = a moisturizer so I just follow up with a sealant. Retwisting on dry, stretched hair yields neater, less shrunken twists and minimizes tangling for me. I finger detangle as I re-twist.

DIET:
Salmon, sushi, lots of veggies and some fruits. I eat a lot of rice too.

TIPS:
Be patient with your hair.
Be patient when it comes to growth.
Low manipulation.
Moisture, moisture, moisture.
Deep condition when necessary.
Stay away from the rattail comb; stick with the wide tooth comb.
Protect your hair.