Rude Stylist

Hello everyone. Techically I'm a newbie, but I've actually been around for a while. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but today I just felt like I had to get this one off my chest. Yesterday, I had an appointment for a wash and set at this stylist that was recommended to me by a few of my friends. This would have been my third visit and thus far she has done a nice job with my hair. I was actually very pleased with her, because since moving to a new city I hadn't found someone whom I was 100% content with. Now, I had noticed on previous visits that she had an issue with arriving to the salon on time. So I just requested for my appointments to be later. I'm not an earlier bird, and I sure didn't want to get up to sit in a salon for an hour or more waiting around for someone. My time is precious too. Anyway, I arrived at the salon and she wasn't there (as usual). I actually wasn't even shocked. So I set around for a little while and finally decided to give her a call. Remind you, this is 40 mins. later. She answered and said that she didn't have my number to call, but that she was getting something done to her car and wouldn't be able to make it until about an hour later. Which the whole not having my number thing was an excuse because clearly she could have called the shop to see if I was there. So I told her I'll call back later and let her know if I was coming back. When I called back she assured me that she'll call back later so that she could do my hair, being that I had made it clear that I needed my hair done because I was going out of town for the holidays. I guess I should not have been surprised when she didn't even call back. She could have at least came up with some lame excuse. She didn't even call this morning! I guess some stylist feel as if you are suppose to hunt them down for there services and could care less if they loss a client, but I think that's just plain inconsiderate and rude.
Well, today I decided that I was going to do my own hair instead of waiting until I go out of town and going to the Dominican salon. I had rollerset previously with ok results, but this time the results were better than ever. I don't know what caused the positive changes in the softness of my rollerset, but I did try two new products. I've always used keracare moisturizing shampoo and humecto conditioner, but today I went to Ulta and got Ellin Lavar's Textures Satin Soft (It's a conditioning rinse). I used it after rinsing out my deep conditioner. I also purchased Giovanni Direct Leave in. I'm sure it was one of those products, not sure which one though, but I got great results. Guess God was trying to show me that I can do my own hair without putting up with unneccessary stuff from stylist. Sorry for the long post.

angellazette

Yeah I've had that happen when I had to practically chase down a stylist. I ended up saying bump that and kept my money in my pocket.

Plenty

Cutiepie7691 said:
Hello everyone. Techically I'm a newbie, but I've actually been around for a while. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but today I just felt like I had to get this one off my chest. Yesterday, I had an appointment for a wash and set at this stylist that was recommended to me by a few of my friends. This would have been my third visit and thus far she has done a nice job with my hair. I was actually very pleased with her, because since moving to a new city I hadn't found someone whom I was 100% content with. Now, I had noticed on previous visits that she had an issue with arriving to the salon on time. So I just requested for my appointments to be later. I'm not an earlier bird, and I sure didn't want to get up to sit in a salon for an hour or more waiting around for someone. My time is precious too. Anyway, I arrived at the salon and she wasn't there (as usual). I actually wasn't even shocked. So I set around for a little while and finally decided to give her a call. Remind you, this is 40 mins. later. She answered and said that she didn't have my number to call, but that she was getting something done to her car and wouldn't be able to make it until about an hour later. Which the whole not having my number thing was an excuse because clearly she could have called the shop to see if I was there. So I told her I'll call back later and let her know if I was coming back. When I called back she assured me that she'll call back later so that she could do my hair, being that I had made it clear that I needed my hair done because I was going out of town for the holidays. I guess I should not have been surprised when she didn't even call back. She could have at least came up with some lame excuse. She didn't even call this morning! I guess some stylist feel as if you are suppose to hunt them down for there services and could care less if they loss a client, but I think that's just plain inconsiderate and rude.
Well, today I decided that I was going to do my own hair instead of waiting until I go out of town and going to the Dominican salon. I had rollerset previously with ok results, but this time the results were better than ever. I don't know what caused the positive changes in the softness of my rollerset, but I did try two new products. I've always used keracare moisturizing shampoo and humecto conditioner, but today I went to Ulta and got Ellin Lavar's Textures Satin Soft (It's a conditioning rinse). I used it after rinsing out my deep conditioner. I also purchased Giovanni Direct Leave in. I'm sure it was one of those products, not sure which one though, but I got great results. Guess God was trying to show me that I can do my own hair without putting up with unneccessary stuff from stylist. Sorry for the long post.
and putting this in the bank.

This is the reason I am here.

You hear is rediculous!

What is your regimen?

Do you do your own relaxers?

What relaxer is used?

Qetesh

congrats to having being able to do your own hair with good results.

its amazing how well we can take care of ourselves if we just try. :D

that stylist should be cut, there is no way i would give her anymore of my money. that is one of the reasons i stopped going to a salon. the owner who was the only one who could do my hair right wasnt always around, so i would feel forced to let someone else do it and they jacked it up :mad: . after that i vowed to spend money on good products and just do my hair myself, and i dont regret it one bit. i may still go to a stylist every blue mood for a special occation but i am NOT stressing it.

Plenty said:
and putting this in the bank.

This is the reason I am here.

You hear is rediculous!

What is your regimen?

Do you do your own relaxers?

What relaxer is used?

Thanks. Well I don't have a defined regimen. I use to go to the salon weekly to get my hair washed, rollerset, and deep condition. But as we all know, that can get a little costy. So I started going every two weeks and doing basically the same thing. I don't like to use heavy moisturizers on my hair because I like it to flow when I wear it down. Usually I just wake up, put biosilk around my wrap, comb it down and go. I rarely use heat, but I would flatiron occassionally. I wrap my hair everynight, and when I'm just chilling around the house, with a satin scarf. I don't relax my own hair because I don't trust myself :lol:. But when I do get a relaxer it's usually mizani. That's basically it. It's really simple. I'm a believer that less is more. The only thing that I want to start incorporating is doing more protective styles, but I don't like to wear my hair in a ponytail too often (only when it's oily after about a week and half). So I might start doing flexi-rod sets and braid-outs more. I know some people don't consider them protective because the ends are exposed, but I get good results when I do them. Hope that helps.

Qetesh said:
that stylist should be cut, there is no way i would give her anymore of my money.

Oh believe me she is! I couldn't bring myself to give her anymore of my money. And she's not cheap! That's money that could be going towards something else.

zora

Cutiepie7691 said:
Thanks. Well I don't have a defined regimen. I use to go to the salon weekly to get my hair washed, rollerset, and deep condition. But as we all know, that can get a little costy. So I started going every two weeks and doing basically the same thing. I don't like to use heavy moisturizers on my hair because I like it to flow when I wear it down. Usually I just wake up, put biosilk around my wrap, comb it down and go. I rarely use heat, but I would flatiron occassionally. I wrap my hair everynight, and when I'm just chilling around the house, with a satin scarf. I don't relax my own hair because I don't trust myself :lol:. But when I do get a relaxer it's usually mizani. That's basically it. It's really simple. I'm a believer that less is more. The only thing that I want to start incorporating is doing more protective styles, but I don't like to wear my hair in a ponytail too often (only when it's oily after about a week and half). So I might start doing flexi-rod sets and braid-outs more. I know some people don't consider them protective because the ends are exposed, but I get good results when I do them. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the regimen. Do you color your hair? It looks like it has a rich black color to it.

blackbarbie

cutiepie,
Your hair looks really shine and healthy. I am right there with you on stylists being rude and wasting your time. Believe me, I don't put up with it either and even threatened to cut my own brother off and have even left a few times from his shop when he was taking his time and not getting to me at my scheduled time.

Hope you keep you money in your pockets and continue to do a good on your own, and even if you decide to go to a salon for a special occasion, let's hope it's not this rude *****!!

zora said:
Thanks for the regimen. Do you color your hair? It looks like it has a rich black color to it.

The last time I had a relaxer, she used Sebastians Colorshines. I believe it was Black Orchid (it was blue/black).

blackbarbie said:
cutiepie,
Your hair looks really shine and healthy. I am right there with you on stylists being rude and wasting your time. Believe me, I don't put up with it either and even threatened to cut my own brother off and have even left a few times from his shop when he was taking his time and not getting to me at my scheduled time.

Hope you keep you money in your pockets and continue to do a good on your own, and even if you decide to go to a salon for a special occasion, let's hope it's not this rude *****!!

Thanks for the compliment. I will most certainly keep my money, and although she did a nice job, my pride won't let me go back.

Miss.Que

I have found that my hair is thriving now, without my regular salon visits. It feels good when you can take control of your hair. The only time I go to the salon now is to get a relaxer. Learning to take care and style your own hair saves money, time, and frustration. I'm glad this situation worked out for your good.

By the way I love your hair! Do you have a fotki?

Bunny77

Cutiepie,

If you still are looking for a Dominican Salon, there's a good one in Orlando called Salon Dominicano. It's on Colonial Drive.

Sorry about your experience. :( Your hair looks good, btw!

Last edited:
Miss.Que said:
I have found that my hair is thriving now, without my regular salon visits. It feels good when you can take control of your hair. The only time I go to the salon now is to get a relaxer. Learning to take care and style your own hair saves money, time, and frustration. I'm glad this situation worked out for your good.

By the way I love your hair! Do you have a fotki?

Thanks Miss. Que.

I actually do have a fotki account, but no pics. are in there at the moment. I do have some recent pictures of my hair though. Unfortuantly I'm out of town. Either I'll add them to the fotki (if the account is still active) or I'll try to post them on here. I'll let you know.

Bunny77 said:
Cutiepie,

If you still are looking for a Dominican Salon, there's a good one in Orlando called Salon Dominicano. It's on Colonial Drive.

Sorry about your experience. :( Your hair looks good, btw!

Hey Bunny 77

I actually use to go to Salon Dominicano when I first got to Orlando. I'm originally from Miami and I go to the dominican salon when I'm home, so going to a dominican salon was right up my alley. Unfortuantly, the heat of their blow dryers are EXTREMELY HOT and a small section of my hair in the middle broke off. I think those blow dryers are fine for natural or really curly hair, but I don't think they are too good for permed hair. I then decided to just get rollersets, but for some reason I didn't care for how they looked without them using the dryers. So I just stopped going all together. But thanks for the recommendation. If you know of any other salon or stylist, please let me know.

shunta

That was a great story (minus the stylist basically dissing you). Im glad that your hair turned out nice. Gotta love that Giovanni Direct--its fabulous. And your hair is beautiful and shiny!;)

JazzyDez

the stylist obviously doesnt want to make any type of money doing hair if she treats her clients like that (poor customer service, or shall I say lack of customer service = loss of customers). It was a learning experience for you since your hair turned out so well. Congradulations.

I would leave her a voicemail saying something like "thank you for neglecting me when I had an appointment with you for my hair. Since I was going out of town and really needed my hair done, I decided to try a rollerset at home and it turned out great! Therefore, I wont be needing your services anymore. Have a blessed day." But thats just me :look:

shunta said:
That was a great story (minus the stylist basically dissing you). Im glad that your hair turned out nice. Gotta love that Giovanni Direct--its fabulous. And your hair is beautiful and shiny!;)

Thanks Shunta. Yes Giovanni Direct is great. I'm almost 7 weeks post relaxer and it the comb just glided through my hair.

JazzyDez said:
the stylist obviously doesnt want to make any type of money doing hair if she treats her clients like that (poor customer service, or shall I say lack of customer service = loss of customers). It was a learning experience for you since your hair turned out so well. Congradulations.

I would leave her a voicemail saying something like "thank you for neglecting me when I had an appointment with you for my hair. Since I was going out of town and really needed my hair done, I decided to try a rollerset at home and it turned out great! Therefore, I wont be needing your services anymore. Have a blessed day." But thats just me :look:

JazzyDez,

That is too funny. I did think of doing something like that, but I'll have to do it once I calm down. If not, it won't be too pretty for her.

Ms.Allyse

I've had this happen before!! The girl that I wanted to do my hair was GREAT a braids!! She's the best around really!! She knows that people wants her to do thier hair so she acts as if it's a priveledge to have an appointment with her!! She'll stand you up and come when SHE wants!! Most times people just take it becuase she is GREAT!! I think this is taking advantage of your GOD given talent!! iT'S JUST ASHAME that she's so talented and abuses her skills!! I know someone that ran behind the stylist to finish her hair for TWO WEEKS.......Shame!!