s-curl for moisture??

Shell4624

Myself and my girls have very dry hair. I've seen on here that some of you use s-curl for daily mositure? Is this correct? Like the s-curl moisturizing spray that used to be used for jerry curls? WHat hair type are you? My girls have very naturally curly hair, I am thinking the oldest is like a 3a/3b and the youngest is a 3c with some 4 in there. I'll also post on the childrens forum. Thanks

septemberbaby

Yes, it's the blue and white spray used back in the day for jheri-curls. :lachen:

To be honest, I don't know what hair type I am. I think a 4a or 4b. I am relaxed though. I use S-curl to moisturize my nape (I'm babying that area right now), ends and especially when I'm stretching my relaxers. I wouldn't be able to survive 10 weeks post without it.

Remember, everything doesn't work for everyone. Try it out and see how it works for you and your girls' hair.

If you decide to give it a try, let us know how you like it/how it worked for you in the "July Hit or Miss" thread. HHG!:)

FLAME

s-curl is great for moisturizing, and a little goes a long way....Your hair shouldn't look like it's raining activator. Just a light spritz is enough to refresh your hair.

locabouthair

hi i used to use s curl when i was natural and im a 4b. it worked great for me. and i had/have VERY coarse dry hair. I loved it! Get a small size just in case you don't like it.

LynnieB

:D or, you can get a bottle of glycerin for like $3 and make beaucoup bottles of spritz and have fun creating your own mixes. throw in some vo5 or suave, honey, or a few drops of essential oils for fragrance or specific treatments or whatever and top it all off with water.

i'm just sayin.............;);)

klb120475

LynnieB said:
:D or, you can get a bottle of glycerin for like $3 and make beaucoup bottles of spritz and have fun creating your own mixes. throw in some vo5 or suave, honey, or a few drops of essential oils for fragrance or specific treatments or whatever and top it all off with water.

i'm just sayin.............;);)

Ain't nuttin wrong with just sayin.....:)

I luv mixing. I'm gonna have to try this soon!:)

Guyaneek

I think S-curl is perfection for moisture. I use it on mine and my kids hair. My daughter has 3b-c and it doesn't work so well for her. But me and the other two have hair that ranges from 3c-4a and it is oolalala! I don't plan on trading it in for anything else!

BeaLady

I've used S Curl and Care Free Curl Gold activator. It is very moisturizing for my hair.

I've seen some posts where people said it caused some shedding.

Everything Zen

so do you use it as a leave-in or spray on dry hair because I've been meaning to try this but I'm not really sure how to use it. :ohwell:

BeaLady

I use it when I twist. I spritz my hair with water and the S curl or carefree curl. Then I twist my hair.

mrsjohnson75

I LOVE scurl (AKA jeri curl juice). I use it everyday for moisture on my dry hair. A little bit goes a long way. I like to finger part my hair and spray on my roots then massage it in, it keeps my scalp from being dry. I also use it in my baggy at night and seal in the moisture with some olive oil and I use it on my daughters hair.

I use it for rollersets, bantu knots, and braidouts.

MuslimahTresses

I agree with what everybody else said. S curl is a really good moisturizer even though alot of us know it as Activator/ Jeri curl juice. I have BIG bottle of it that I got from Sallys for those dry rough times my hair goes through. It really a good moisturizer.

PrincessScorpion

mrsjohnson75 said:
I LOVE scurl (AKA jeri curl juice). I use it everyday for moisture on my dry hair. A little bit goes a long way. I like to finger part my hair and spray on my roots then massage it in, it keeps my scalp from being dry. I also use it in my baggy at night and seal in the moisture with some olive oil and I use it on my daughters hair.

I use it for rollersets, bantu knots, and braidouts.

Now why you have to OLD SCHOOL on us! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Tenejita10473

I use it when I twist. I spritz my hair with water and the S curl or carefree curl. Then I twist my hair.
Me 2. I love it. I think I might use too much of it actually- well more than needed. But it only helps my hair so its cool.

ETA. I use the Blue & white bottle- don't know of the difference though. sorry

Last edited:

luvmesumhair

Hey, I was wondering if I could use it on my new growth during my stretches to soften them up for combing out. I noticed this week after washing my hair that my new growth is VERY DRY! I was like WTH???

I was also wondering if it could be the BT making my new growth dry.

Kimberly

I use the S-Curl in the blue and white bottle on everyone in the house. I have a special bottled that I mixed with distilled water and a few drops of jojoba oil, too.

ETA: I'm 4d, relaxed. :drunk:

Last edited:

anahnamuslyyours

Hey, I was wondering if I could use it on my new growth during my stretches to soften them up for combing out. I noticed this week after washing my hair that my new growth is VERY DRY! I was like WTH???

I was also wondering if it could be the BT making my new growth dry.
I was reading in the "sulfur overload" thread that we should be moisturizing before putting in BT because the oils will "seal out" the moisture if you're moisturizing afterwards. Maybe this is what's happening with you?

luvmesumhair

I was reading in the "sulfur overload" thread that we should be moisturizing before putting in BT because the oils will "seal out" the moisture if you're moisturizing afterwards. Maybe this is what's happening with you?

:eek: Good question. I never thought about that. I always thought that if I used BT with some other oil/moisture, it would not work well.

mscocoface

Here is my daily spritz that I use on my 4B "Lawd You Have Thick and Tangly Hair"!!!!

It not only has curl juice but a little something of errthing in it. My hair loves it and it is soft to the touch. I can take my twists and braids down without a fight when I have used this for a week or so.

Even when I am in protective styles I will use this. I have made it for the past 8-9 months and now everyone in the house including some friends ask for it when I make a batch. I will make a large amount and then place some in a spray bottle for everyday use. I make sure to shake it up before I use it. It is great and the peppermint makes my scalp feel really good. It is a serious pick me up in the morning on the scalp and the senses

Home Made Leave-in
Cheapie Conditioner - Suave, Vo5, etc.
Amla Oil
Jojoba Oil
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera Juice
Infusium 23
Curl Activator
Peppermint Oil

1 Part of everything with the exception of curl activator and conditioner those I put in as 3-4 parts. The peppermint oil I will put in about 10 -12 drops to every 8 oz that I make.

You can consider the parts as ounces.

Use your descretion on the oil and the other items. Use what works for you. If the Infusium does not work for you then take it out. I have at times added a detangler as well as other oils.

Everyone in the family loves this stuff and so do those who are not in the family.:grin:

Make it to your liking or your hair's liking.

Last edited:

SignatureBeauty

S curl was a napsaver for me, Thank god someone had turned me on to it, because shea butter and water spritz everyday just was not working LOL!! But S curl keeps my hair soft for days and I don't have to apply everyday either, but I do dilute it with a lil water!

ms cocoface that sounds like a great recipe, I am gonna have to try it one day!

mscocoface

S curl was a napsaver for me, Thank god someone had turned me on to it, because shea butter and water spritz everyday just was not working LOL!! But S curl keeps my hair soft for days and I don't have to apply everyday either, but I do dilute it with a lil water!

ms cocoface that sounds like a great recipe, I am gonna have to try it one day!

It is the best and my hair loves it. Now I just have to learn how to hide it when I am not around. Yes the inmates, I mean family members are taking to stealing it or they say borrowing it when I am not around. Oh sure, borrow..like how am I going to get it back when you borrow it on yo head!!!!!!!!! I may have been born at night, but not LAST NIGHT! Foolishness I tell ya! :rolleyes:

BeaLady

Me 2. I love it. I think I might use too much of it actually- well more than needed. But it only helps my hair so its cool.

ETA. I use the Blue & white bottle- don't know of the difference though. sorry

I've also started using the Carefree Curl Gold also. It's a little heavier than the one in the blue and white bottle and my twistouts look better.

I read on another board that some ladies were experiencing shedding with these products. I haven't had that problem yet.

I also read that you have to clarify more often if you flat iron because of the build up.