Sabino Moisture Block for Relaxed heads

winterinatl

All natural!
I know there is already a great long thread about this, but I wanted to post for those of us who are relaxed. I think this product is beneficial to us, too; even more so if you are transitioning (I am not transitioning).

I don't have pics to show you because they will not really look any different than what you see in the siggy pics. I want to describe to you what happened, though.

I got the samples in fast time. I accidentally did not completely follow instructions, but it went okay anyway.

My hair was freshly relaxed with Elucence one week prior, so I didn't really expect any spectacular benefit for the product; however, if it did what it claimed, I would see some benefit, and that is just what happened.

1. I washed and conditioned with Keracare products, not completely rinsing away the Moisturizing conditioner.

2.I let my hair stay sopping wet and tied up in a towel, got out of the shower and squeezed dry.

3. Then I added a nickel sized amount of Salerm 21 leave in conditioner, mostly for the ends.

4. I added the SBM, starting at the roots and distributing down through the ends. I was worried I didn't have enough, but left well enough alone after I had used the entire vial (btw. my hair is on the medium fine side).

5. I slicked back into a braid for some air drying, and went about my day.

6. Blew dry with high heat and a comb the rest of the way; hair felt nice but I still thought that was the relaxer effect.

7. I added a tad (and I do mean a tad; like a micro dot) of SBM to large sections of hair before I began to iron. I did not add some to each little section; that would have been too much.

8. I did set my iron to 400 degrees, 450 just seemed excessive. 400 was perfect; I saw the steam and did not burn my hair.

9. My hair, when finished, felt like glass - I might have though it was the relaxer effect plus flat iron, but it was not. This is where I begin to see the benefit. Normally when I blow dry (very, very rare) and then flat iron my hair will curl and swing, but the ends look drab, or the hair just looks somewhat lifeless. Which is why I don't like wearing it pin straight. But that was not the case this time.

It was smooth, silky, and sifted down through my fingers with very little resistance, which is why I described "like glass".

Now normally, after a new relaxer or pin straight ironing job, I can only wear my hair straight for three days or so before the hair begins to just look nasty and greasy/oily/flat. I wrap my hair at night, my scalp sweats and produces plenty of sebum, so what happens is it sort of gets more and more plastered to my head. And the steam from showering makes it even worse. I fully expected this to happen even with the new product.

But it didn't. It's like.....I can feel that there is moisture on my scalp, in my hair, but you can tell that the strands are just not absorbing it...the moisture sits on top of the strand and then dries very quickly, leaving my hair with body and swing.

Day after day after day. On day three I added a smidge more to the ends. TMI, but I felt after 4 days that my head started to smell "less than fresh" so I ran some Aveda anit humectant serum through it; that also beefed up the shine factor. I would have washed at that point but I wanted to see just how long the hair would hold up.

Well it is Friday and the ends are just now trying to show some frizz. My hair felt, after today's shower, like it was going to be a plastered to my head day, but after the moisture evaporated I was good to go again. I think I'll wash tonight.

This stuff is keeper. I want their gel so that I can wear wash and gos, but will have to use the Fantasia I just bought before I do so.

*Frisky*

Do you know if this stuff is suppose to help the hair hold curls? Do you mind telling me where you received your sample from?

MissRissa

winter, i bought the gel for the curly heads and i absolutely LOVED my wash n go. there was NO FRIZZ which almost always happens for me. I usually dont use gel on my wash n go's except for my edges but since I had the MB i was like ok why not. At first it was all stiff but then it softened up as the day went on. I was so excited. now mind you, ive never used gel on my wng's before so I my good ol fantasia IC may have done the same job, but the point is my wash n go was perfect!

BTW that gel is SUPER STICKY at first. the directions even say to re-mist the hair with water so u can comb the gel in.

I think i may have to do an experiment. a half fantasia ic/w MB and half c4ch w/ MB so i can compare cause that gel is expensive too.

MissRissa

Do you know if this stuff is suppose to help the hair hold curls? Do you mind telling me where you received your sample from?

nope it doesnt help hold curls. just locks in moisture.

since im digging his products, im going to make a suggestion to him about developing a product for that specific need.

Eisani

My SMB got "thieverized" so I had to order more tonight so I can do comparison shots. I found a site that sold it for $17 w/free shipping! Hopefully I get it pretty quickly. Anyhoo, the site is www.lookingglassny.com BTW, in my siggy line, the 2nd and 3rd pics are my straightened hair after using SMB and being outside in hot, humid weather 3 days in a row. It's good stuff:yep: At the time, I was about 24 or 25 wks post.

sunshinebeautiful

I really liked the SMB too. After being out in the elements in humid Florida, my hair was still perfectly straight.

I didn't know they made a gel too. :blush:

winterinatl

All natural!
Sorry for the long delay in responding to my own thread. Busy day yesterday!

It is not meant to hold curls; keeps you from frizzing and what ever else happens when your hair gets moisture to it. He has another product that will do that.

winterinatl

All natural!
Here's my review from the original thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=4719901&postcount=480

Rollerset pic is my siggy pic...

ETA: I musta been about 7 weeks post on those pics...
Thank you for adding that link. I am really happy to see it helps the transition. I had just relaxed after lightweight deciding to transition, and then found the thread on the SMB and was MAD because that would have really helped me - i had a lot of short, broken hairs at the top of my head :nono:.

This stuff is not just a "moisture block" it is a hair protectant, sealing in the moisture and creating a protective barrier on your hair.....sort of the what those brazilian treatments are supposed to do. I am going to get this and use it consistently, perhaps it will let me get the last 4-6 inches I've been dreaming about.

I haven't slept in a scarf in two days and I can't see any broken hairs anywhere. It's great stuff!

Jazala

My SMB got "thieverized" so I had to order more tonight so I can do comparison shots. I found a site that sold it for $17 w/free shipping! Hopefully I get it pretty quickly. Anyhoo, the site is www.lookingglassny.com BTW, in my siggy line, the 2nd and 3rd pics are my straightened hair after using SMB and being outside in hot, humid weather 3 days in a row. It's good stuff:yep: At the time, I was about 24 or 25 wks post.

Woah! Thanks for posting this info. :yay:I had to jump on that deal. It's about 30 bucks from the Sabino website with shipping.

Covergirl5906

I had to call them yesterday b/c I never received the sample I ordered...they are going to send it again....can't wait to try it!

apemay1969

I got my sample yesterday. I've been too hot and lazy to wash and flat iron my hair so I'll turn on the AC and try it tomorrow...maybe.

shorthairdiva09

i got my samples and i only use a little bit on my hair, it does come out great. i havent applied heat afterward i just let it sit, but tomorrow when i do my hair i will try this method you used. TIA

Isis

I've been in some humidity and I'm still using my MB, without heat. In fact, I applied some last week on my third day since washing (not before that) and was able to extend my rollerset for another two days! That was a first for me! My hair looks better with more bounce if I use it after my hair has airdried. I still seal the moisture with my Aveda. :)

winterinatl

All natural!
Well that 17 dollar price point is now gone...I just checked and it was 20 still with free shipping though.

I was impressed enough that I went ahead and ordered directly from mr sabino. I heard from these threads he ships fast, that might be why the extra cost, fine by me. I want it fast, can't wait for the full bottle!

This is going to be a staple of mine. I can't wait to try the C4CH too.

donewit-it

Well that 17 dollar price point is now gone...I just checked and it was 20 still with free shipping though.

I was impressed enough that I went ahead and ordered directly from mr sabino. I heard from these threads he ships fast, that might be why the extra cost, fine by me. I want it fast, can't wait for the full bottle!

Do they offer samples of the C4CH yet. I would definitely be interested in trying that product. The local store I got my original Moisture Block from does not have it.

Eisani

I went on to order some for my cousin and saw that it's $20 now too. I went on E-bay to see if I could find some a lil cheaper for her (cheap ***)and in doing my search for SMB found some for sale by Lookingglassny . I clicked on the SMB and at the very bottom of the page it said "save up to 10% and pay $18 plus free shipping by clicking here" I clicked on the link and it redirected me to their website and I was able to get it for $18. Looks like the $17 special is gone, but $20 still isn't bad when the shipping is free!

Last edited:

winterinatl

All natural!
I want to reiterate the fact that you shouldn't be putting anything else on your hair after you rinse and before the SBM.

Twice I have ignored my own advice and ended up with an oil slick for a hairdo. :nono: That's two times of flatironing that basically got wasted, heat on my head for nothing. :(

You might even need to be careful with the oil conditioners. I used silicon mix the last time and :nono: Just too heavy. Be careful!!

melodies815

Bumping for love of SMB!!!

I usually put a tiny bit of leave-in condish and a tiny bit of NTM silk touch BEFORE putting in SMB. My hair doesn't come out oily looking and feels like "glass" as well.

This stuff is the bomb and actually does what it says! I'm not mad at the price, considering it doesn't take much for it to do it's work.

I just hope he doesn't change the formulation. It seems like so many good products change and don't work well for the long haul....

....I might have to stock up on a couple of year's worth of this stuff...:grin:

cj

chiprecious

I want to reiterate the fact that you shouldn't be putting anything else on your hair after you rinse and before the SBM.

Twice I have ignored my own advice and ended up with an oil slick for a hairdo. :nono: That's two times of flatironing that basically got wasted, heat on my head for nothing. :(

You might even need to be careful with the oil conditioners. I used silicon mix the last time and :nono: Just too heavy. Be careful!!

I use the Aphogee leave in spray. Are you suggesting not to use anything oil based & heavy or simply nothing? It seems you should use something (water based) as a leave in..

winterinatl

All natural!
You are supposed to condition, and then rinse out leaving some conditioner behind. Blot dry then SBM. This has yeilded the best results.

I started feeling insecure about the steps and so added a bit of leave in -- salerm21 :)

It did not work out. It interfered with the waterproofing; I could feel the difference. Now I'm not sure about the silicon mix. It might be just too heavy to do this same technique on my hair.

For some reason conditioning and then rinsing most (or maybe half) of it out yeilds much better results than doing a complete rinse and then trying to add some leave in on later.

I should aslo mention my hair is kinda fine