salon only products...what's your take

pearcey

After the hype dies down, the product junkie-ism ends, and the new wisdom of ingredient reading and how a product works sinks in...

are you taken in by the hype?

my regimen is great, but I have not tried kenra since my new improved "techniques" which have brought dramatic results.

Anexclusive salon would never use a basic inexpensive yet effective product and THEN try to charge you $75.00 for a cut. even if vo5 did the job. they would charge you $25 for it not the 99 cents. [under a diff't guise ofcourse]

so are salon products just hype, to match the exclusivity of a salon?

IMO I feel they are definitely a step up from many basic Drug Store Brands.

But still often full of Cones, Parabens and other fillers.

There are some Solid Salon Brands out there if that is the Route you want to take.

The list of Salon Brands are endless from Phyto to Aveda to Kenra to Joico to Redken and everything in between.

You definitely have a lot of brands to choose from.

There are cheap products and expensive products that can work wonderfully or not work out so well. However I stack my deck. I love s-curl...when mix it blend it and shake it up with a few extra things lol. Ovation's line, Moroccan oil, crack styling treatment are a little more expensive but I can use them exactly how they are designed to be used and love them with no extra doctoring up.

I used to spend so much money on my photospecific products and while my hair did look great for relaxed hair (which was a big deal for me) it was still basic compared to my natural hair. I'm not about hype, I'm about results. Everything I use can be purchased at Ricky's: Aussie, Jane Carter Solution, Kinky Curly & Miss Jessies. I don't own products from any other lines because everything I need I've found from these brands. No new products ;-)

My conditioners are salon only. I can get away with CON Argan oil shampoo but I definitely need my salon conditioner.

The only thing I like about salon products is the size and that is it. I am fine with the products I use. I can tell u this a lot of the costly products are not all they crack up to be. I have wasted so much money. I'm not caring about cons anymore just using what works for my hair.

There are some salon products that I really paid for and loved, but I have found that my
natural hair doe's not like them as much. I am much more likely to find things that are made with more natural ingredients that work well for me. A few salon brands my hair still loves
are Ouidad, Aveda and Paul Mitchell. One lone conditioner I still love is Crede er. These imho are still worth it to me. Otherwise I like Oyin,Healing herbs by Rene, Hydratherma Naturals, lines similar to this are more useful to me now.

I've gone back and forth over the years. When I exclusively heat styled back in the '90s I only used salon products (Redken, Joico, Aveda and Paul Mitchell) since drugstore products did nothing for me. I switched to using Aubrey Organic, Jessicurl, oils and butters in the '00s since there were not many options then.

I now use a combo of BBS, drugstore, natural and some salon products. In terms of salon products, I really like Davines these days. I use what works, even if it has forbidden ingredients.

I've tried many brands and except for a few brands my hair can't tell the difference even if my pocketbook could. I seem to get better results with all natural products e.g. Aubrey's Organics.

Not for me. I can't have my hair eating better than me! :lol:

I currently use Joico for my protein (bought 6 liters during BOGO :look:) but I stick to regla brick & mortar stores for everything else (shampoo, conditioner, serum and henna).

Thanks for the feedback, Ladies.

I will probably get some kenra just to get it out my system and continue using gvp cb.

:)

The only thing I've noticed is that I am more inclined to use them because I've paid too much money to let them go to waste.

I really don't notice that much of difference. Probably more so the conditioners I do notice a difference other than that it feels like paying more for the same ingredients that are in cheaper products.

Back