Salon-Phobia! How to Recover and Trust Stylists Again

brownsugarflyygirl

I have salon-phobia! I think they are a waste of time and money....unless you find the right one which after you have gone through 50 bad experiences...you dont want to try anymore :mad: Yes, Im salty!

BUT I am ready to move past that and try a new stylist... I think I am going to try Ivy at Salon Cielo in DC as she comes highly recommended on LHCF. I havent had a full-service salon experience in a year and a half...Im a 4a natural and I dont want to get a heat service at my first visit. What style service should I get done to feel her out? Suggestions please.

Also, please share any success stories about building positive relationships with stylists. No horror stories please...I am traumatized enough. Thanks :)

1god1

I would have her do something simple...see if she can follow instructions...get a conditioner/wash.... ask her opinions on cutting, blow drying, etc....

JLove74

What style service should I get done to feel her out? Suggestions please.

I would get something simple and go for a consultation before hand so you can get a feel for her. Ivy is a great stylist and really nice person. She's natural too and understands the needs of relaxed and natural sistas. The thing I like about her most is that she listens and she's not "scissor happy".

bluediamond0829

i know what you mean i had hair salon phobia for years...i never actually went to a salon unless i was getting a weave service or braid service done...but i realized that my hair now is the healthiest that it has ever been since going...and i just started going regularly in March of this year...i think part of it was because my mom was never the type to constantly go to a salon either and felt it was a waste of $$$ to go..we are talking about a woman that still wheres curls...

yea i would have the lady do something simple...thats what i did when my stylist left and moved to ATL...i went to a salon and a stylist that a girl i met that had long BSL hair told me about and recommended me to...i mean thats just to feel that person out and see how she is...we talked over my goals and she is very nice and friendly...not scissor happy...

balisi

brownsugarflyygirl said:
I have salon-phobia! I think they are a waste of time and money....unless you find the right one which after you have gone through 50 bad experiences...you dont want to try anymore :mad: Yes, Im salty!

BUT I am ready to move past that and try a new stylist... I think I am going to try Ivy at Salon Cielo in DC as she comes highly recommended on LHCF. I havent had a full-service salon experience in a year and a half...Im a 4a natural and I dont want to get a heat service at my first visit. What style service should I get done to feel her out? Suggestions please.

Also, please share any success stories about building positive relationships with stylists. No horror stories please...I am traumatized enough. Thanks :)
If you haven't already done so, please read my recent post on this very topic.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=99985

Also, Salon Cielo is part of the Hair Cuttery family of salons. I'm sure your experience will be positive.

Last edited:

NeeSee

Just being a member of LHCF has allowed me to recover although I have never really had any bad experiences. Being on here has given me the courage to speak up for what I want as far as my hair is concerned.

Mizani_Mrs

I think you are so very lucky because you have a recommendation from someone on this board...so you should be a little bit more at ease than just stumbling upon a salon. But what i'd suggest is book an appt on a busy day, like saturday morning. So that when u get there, chances are you will be sitting waiting for 30-40mins and can observe how she treat people and their hair. And just get a deep cond and a rollerset. Heck you cant screw up a rollerset! And if she does good and you feel like you can trust her, then you can ask if she can flat-iron the roots, just to see how good she flatirons and if she uses a protectant. It'd be reeeeeally helpful if you can see her apply relaxer to someone's head, so maybe you'll get lucky and get the chance to see this...

brownsugarflyygirl

Thanks for the feedback ladies....I wanted to start simple....but I couldnt think of a non-heat "style" for my natural hair. I think my 4a hair would laugh at somebody's rollers....:ohwell: I dont want to pay and not walk out looking "cute"

Balisi...I read your post a week or so...it was very thorough and encouraging....I will probably reread it before I go to the salon....

balisi

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Thanks for the feedback ladies....I wanted to start simple....but I couldnt think of a non-heat "style" for my natural hair. I think my 4a hair would laugh at somebody's rollers....:ohwell: I dont want to pay and not walk out looking "cute"

Balisi...I read your post a week or so...it was very thorough and encouraging....I will probably reread it before I go to the salon....
Please let us know how everything turns out.