Salon relaxer vs at self relaxing....

blackberry815

Did you find that your hair looked better when u self relaxed vs when going to the salon or vice versa? Has anyone here tried both and can say that their hair was or LOOKED better with one vs the other?

Sent from my ADR6400L

hothair

When I used to relax regularly at the salon it was hit or miss. They always got my hair bone straight and shiny but after a wash it would look a mess.

The last relaxer I did at home since being natural went great, got my hair straight with loads of body. I think it may also be that I'm better at looking after my hair now.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

When I relaxed at home, the relaxer results would be the same as if I went to the salon. The style itself may have looked a little better...

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I've never done an at-home relaxer, but I think regardless of where you get it, everything depends on the smoothing technique, quality of product, correct strength of product, and the condition of your hair before the chemical application.

I've had bad relaxers at the salon before, but the lady that's been doing them for the last 6 years has given me the most consistent results yet.

danysedai

Right now I prefer salon relaxers as I have found a stylist who's good at relaxing my hair, I bring my own products,she listens, etc.
I jacked my hair up with self-relaxing, so not for me.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Most Dominican salons left me with limp lifeless hair. There was only one dominican salon I went to where the one stylist I went to did exactly what I said. Once they got rid of her #Fail

Going to one AA stylist my hair was fab but she started being late so I gave up.

Doing my own hair with no lye relaxers I always got consitant results. Lye relaxers took me some time to get right.

To sum it all up doing my own gave me better results and I save money. Its a win/win

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My results were the same. My hair never really got relaxer strait, but it would always need a trim or cut. That's why I let a salon do it in the first place. My hair used to be bone strait as a kid because mom used to relax my entire head every time. I retained length and thickness, too. I would never do that now, but now I know why mom used to do it.:lol: I have relaxer resistant hair. It runs in the family.:ohwell: My family never trusted salons, so we always did our own hair at home, except special occasions.

Dposh167

My salon relaxers looked better. But that's because she used all these different products and rolletset to give me that swang

when i do it at home, the straightness is the same...but i don't go that extra mile to have that "fresh from the salon look". However, i love having control of what goes on my hair. I burn less....but can underprocess more since i'm still learning.

prospurr4

The last time I had a salon relaxer, my hair was relaxed "too straight," and I was given an unwanted/unnecessary cut. I didn't even like the way it was styled afterwards. And, of course, I had to pay for it all.

Now that I self-relax, I control the process to get texlaxed results, don't trim unless I want to, and wear styles that are becoming on ME...all for very little cost.

I love being a total DIYer. :yep:

Your Cheeziness

I prefer my stylist do my relaxer. I am too slow for the speed needed for a relaxer and my results aren't consistent when I do it. So, for me, it's my stylist all the way.

blackberry815

I prefer my stylist do my relaxer. I am too slow for the speed needed for a relaxer and my results aren't consistent when I do it. So, for me, it's my stylist all the way.

Yea I just wrote in another thread that i self relaxed the last time but I thought about it this weekend and since I don't stretch relaxers I think it would be best that i head to the salon for my relaxers from now on.... I was just frustrated that my stylists burnt bald spots in my head but I should just find another stylist. And I think I've done that. So I think I'm jumping off the self relaxing bandwagon for now.. I need to get a quick corrective and make sure to head to the same stylists for consistent results.

Sent from my ADR6400L

ATLcutey20

My salon relaxed experience = limped, lifeless hair & scabs on scalp/ears :nono:

Self-relaxed experience= hair w/body & no scabs :yep:

H4irHappy

I have not mastered self relaxing yet so right now, I'm going to stick to the salon. Plus, I like the Mizani Sensitive Scalp relaxer my stylists uses and it's only for professionals.

I am practicing though with conditioner and if I ever decide to self-relax again, I'm going to use the method I saw in sunnieb's fotki. I knew pre-sectioning first would work, but I was just too lazy to try it before.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I would like to hear some more replies.im still on the fence for relaxing.i know that if i go to a salon they will make my hair too straight.

blackberry815

When ladies say limp and lifeless hair do u mean bone straight hair? Only cuz that would be the look I'm going for... Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L

LABETT

My hair has done a 90 degree turn around when I started self relaxing at home.
I paid too much money to get poor results,they never use the protein step method and a deep conditioner treatment to my satisfaction,rinsing out the conditioner after 3 to 5 min.:nono:
I have encorporated these step at home and my hair so much healthier,thicker and growing out nicely.
I like self relaxing because I have control over the relaxer and not applying the same amount on my damage or thin areas of my head,applying hairline and nape area last.
I use Mizani Butter Blends No Lye Sensitive Scalp that I can purchase at my locall BSS for $11.99.
Advantage to self relaxing you can your own conditioners and styling product that are better quality than what some stylist uses.

Last edited:

blackberry815

My hair has done a 90 degree turn around when I started self relaxing at home.
I paid too much money to get poor results,they never use the protein step method and a deep conditioner treatment to my satisfaction,rinsing out the conditioner after 3 to 5 min.:nono:
I have encorporated these step at home and my hair so much healthier,thicker and growing out nicely.
I like self relaxing because I have control over the relaxer and not applying the same amount on my damage or thin areas of my head,applying hairline and nape area last.
I use Mizani Butter Blends No Lye Sensitive Scalp that I can purchase at my locall BSS for $11.99.
Advantage to self relaxing you can your own conditioners and styling product that are better quality than what some stylist uses.

You make a very good point.... Thanks a bunch for ur input

Sent from my ADR6400L

blackberry815

Im so confused about whether to self relax again or head to the salon for my next relaxer.. everyday i change my mind... I look at the hair my hairdresser did compared to what i did and the part she relaxed is sooo much silkier than mine. The only difference is that with her i had bald patches from her letting me burn..

I did recount my steps and i think i might try again one last time and just try to incorporate some of her techniques and steps... If it doesnt workout this next time maybe I'll head back to a salon.
Sent from my ADR6400L

beloved1bx

I tip my hat do all those ladies that can self-relax. I've tried it before 2 or 3 times, and i have failed completely. I went in for a trim in March, 4 weeks after self relaxing and the stylist thought i was like 2 months post...yikes. I ended up getting a corrective that day and I was very pleased with the results. I'm extremely tender-headed and as a result I've always used no-lye relaxers and told her this. But she actually used a lye relaxer, Mizani, and the extra steps she took worked out well for me. No burns whatsoever. I was very surprised. I went back to her 2 weeks ago after stretching for 12 weeks (the longest i've ever stretched). She complained about the new growth, and told me I shouldn't stretch so long (blah, blah, blah) but she got through it and I had another positive relaxer experience.

I'd still like to one day be a complete DIYer, but i probably need to take some more steps first. Someone mentioned practicing with conditioner, and that seems like something i should try doing.

Now that i've found a stylist that i trust with my relaxers, I might stick with her for a bit. I used to go to Domican salons, but i'd rather spend the extra money and have it done right. These days I only go to the salon for a relaxer and/or trim, so i'm only there 4-6 times a year. Last time I saw my stylist she told me to come back for a protein treatment. Now that I knew I needed one, I just did it myself, and upped the protein in my regimen for now.

If you have a stylist that you trust with your hair you've won half the battle. But if you've taken steps to prepare your self to self-relax then that's great. Pre-sectioning also sounds like a great extra step to use.

blackberry815

I tip my hat do all those ladies that can self-relax. I've tried it before 2 or 3 times, and i have failed completely. I went in for a trim in March, 4 weeks after self relaxing and the stylist thought i was like 2 months post...yikes. I ended up getting a corrective that day and I was very pleased with the results. I'm extremely tender-headed and as a result I've always used no-lye relaxers and told her this. But she actually used a lye relaxer, Mizani, and the extra steps she took worked out well for me. No burns whatsoever. I was very surprised. I went back to her 2 weeks ago after stretching for 12 weeks (the longest i've ever stretched). She complained about the new growth, and told me I shouldn't stretch so long (blah, blah, blah) but she got through it and I had another positive relaxer experience.

I'd still like to one day be a complete DIYer, but i probably need to take some more steps first. Someone mentioned practicing with conditioner, and that seems like something i should try doing.

Now that i've found a stylist that i trust with my relaxers, I might stick with her for a bit. I used to go to Domican salons, but i'd rather spend the extra money and have it done right. These days I only go to the salon for a relaxer and/or trim, so i'm only there 4-6 times a year. Last time I saw my stylist she told me to come back for a protein treatment. Now that I knew I needed one, I just did it myself, and upped the protein in my regimen for now.

If you have a stylist that you trust with your hair you've won half the battle. But if you've taken steps to prepare your self to self-relax then that's great. Pre-sectioning also sounds like a great extra step to use.

Thanks for the tips ! The problem is i dony have a stylist i trust yet. I actually dont even want to start searching for one now.... I was going to go with one raved about on the boards until i read where someone said she didnt completely wash out her relaxer and her hair broke off.... And another said her hair wasnt relaxed properly...

So i think im just gonna give the diy route one more shot... I know my former stylist got my hair looking superb but she also laughed at me when i told her i was burning... And now i have bald patches where my hair wont grow because of that... Can't win.

The hair I relaxed is not as straight and silky as where she relaxed I slightly underprocessed in some areas... One thing i know i didnt do that she did was use a conditioner for 10 minutes before neutralizing. I was to scared of overprocessing so i just rinsed out the relaxer and shampood it out right away....I dont know how drastic of a difference that will make but its worth a shot. Another thing she did that I didnt do was use a comb to smooth... (The teeth) i used a sprush.... So Im going to try those things out along withmaking smaller parts. Hopefully i will see a difference... I'm a little more confident than last time... And it did turn out pretty good the last time... Just not as good as hers...

Sent from my ADR6400L

PinkPebbles

The same with me. I had a set back from self-relaxing so I prefer to go to the salon for any chemical treatment.

SoniT

I prefer getting my hair relaxed at the salon. I've self relaxed before but I prefer the fresh, straight from the salon look. I have found a stylist that I really like so she does my relaxers and I maintain my hair at home. I'm not one of those women that goes to the salon every week but I do go for touch-ups, trims, and cuts.

ATLcutey20

When ladies say limp and lifeless hair do u mean bone straight hair? Only cuz that would be the look I'm going for... Lol

Sent from my ADR6400L

For me, its not only bone straight, but it doesn't hold a curl at all. It takes 2 washes for me to get body & hold a curl again. I'm guessing that what overprocessed hair looks like.

blackberry815

For me, its not only bone straight, but it doesn't hold a curl at all. It takes 2 washes for me to get body & hold a curl again. I'm guessing that what overprocessed hair looks like.

Even when you rollerset? What if you used a setting lotion?

Sent from my ADR6400L

shunemite

I get good results doing it myself, same as a salon. It's just the styling that's not the same coz let's face it a stylist is a professional who knows many different styles and how to make them look fly. So I give credit where credit is due. Honestly for me the decision to self relax was out of sheer brokeness. I had NO money and didn't want to look a hot mess. I went to the library and borrowed Shamboosie's book and studied the pictures on how to relax in sections. That was in like 2005 or 2006 I think.

Fast forward to today it's just not worth it for me paying a salon since I know how to do it and I'm impatient I HATE sitting in a salon for 6 hrs while they juggle me and 6 other women in and out of driers.

I only pay stylists to do what I can't like hair braiders coz I don't know how to braid, and trims I go to Supercuts coz I can't self trim. I justify payng the $150 to a braider coz I feel that I got 6 to 8 wks of a lasting hair style. But a relaxer.... not for me.