Salon ???

free2bme

Hi All,

I urgently need a recommendation of a good hair salon in Manhattan that is below 60th St. for a touch up. I normally get my hair done in NJ but I'm going away on Friday and will not have the time to make it up there. I have gone to few salons around here and i am so not impressed by what I've seen. Actually I am kinda of scared LOL.

At the first salon, i asked the lady if they used motions or affirm mild but i would really prefer motions, she told me that motions did not make a mild relaxer and was insistant that the regular was just as gentle as any mild relaxer.

The next place i went to the ladies hair was so jacked up all I could do was stare. She kept on stressing to me how they focus on hair care and moisture, her hair looked like chewed up hay!!! I guess she noticed I was kind of looking at her hair in shock she went on to flick it around and say weaves are her specialty. She commented and said that my hair is nice and they would take good care of it. I ran for dear life.

Other than Joseph's which is a block away from my office are there any recommendations?

A

AmilLion

I used to go to this guy named Marvin Carrington. He's at the Jelani Salon located on 31st street I believe (the same block Speeed's on).

He uses Affirm relaxer, however, he's VERY EXPENSIVE. $100 for a touch-up.

Sunshine

John Atchison is on 56th and 5ave. He has a web site that lists the hours of operation. He's expensive. I have never been there, but I have a friend that would drive from Albany to NYC to go there every time she needed a retouch!

Just curious, why won't you go to Joseph's?

free2bme

Hi Sunshine

I'll probably wind up going to Joseph's. whenever I pass by they are usually crowded during their after work hours. I was also hoping someone might recommend a good salon that was cheaper.

A

AmilLion

There was this Dominican lady that would do my mom's relaxer, her hair would look as if she went to professional's and my mom's hair had gotten soo thick and long. The lady only charged $20. But something went down at the Salon, and she left town.